Can't Decide which Tortoise To Get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
I originally wanted to purchase a baby leopard tortoise. I've done lots of research, and love them! However, I'm now debating if I can handle the size of an adult leopard in my house. I've also done research on star tortoises, and think they would better match my size requirements. I LOVE both, but how can I decide? I wouldn't want a leopard tortoise to be unhappy. I think a star tortoise might just be better for my lifestyle. Any opinions?

7oasty23

5 Year Member
If you're not 100% sure how to house it, I would go with a smaller tort. Maybe a testudo

or something along those lines. Their housing requirements are way snaller.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can't provide an outdoor enclosure, then a smaller one would be best. However, even they should be able to live outside when ever possible.

5 Year Member
I know that if I got a hatchling, I'd house it in a 29- gal terrarium until it got about 4 inches long, then I'd house it partially outdoors and partially in a wooden tortoise pen or enclosure along those lines. I really have my heart set on one of those two now, since I've done so much research, though I'm open to any new ideas, just leaning towards a star tortoise. I just want my tortoise to be happy and healthy in its environment. :)

How big of a terrarium would you suggest for a hatchling? Is 29 gallons ok? I'm guessing it will last a star tortoise about 2 yrs depending on how fast the baby grows. Still doing my pet tortoise homework, hoping to purchase one by November.

lokenica

5 Year Member
I'm with you. I can't decide either, but I am looking. I was looking at the Western Hermann's, but have learned on TF that they are rare and more expensive than I can afford. I am looking now at Eastern Hermann'd Dalmations and Russians. They are smaller. I love Leopards, too. They are soooo beautiful....I am still looking. Reach out so some of the sellers on the site. I don't know them well, since I am a newbie, too, but several of them have emailed me and been really helpful. I currently have a Russian, Otis, staying with me this summer for camp. His owner is another teacher at my school. He is really sweet. If she doesn't want to keep him, he will be mine and I won't look any further since you can't house different species together...Good luck on your search. I would stay away fron tanks, though. Check out my introduction post to see what me and my dad are currently building. It's only taken us about 5 hours so far.....still a work in progress. Lynette

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice! Yes, I was checking out Greg T's leopard hatchlings (beautiful, very cute!) but I really am not sure if my home would make a good set up for a leopard tortoise. I have a good amount of room inside & out to devote to a tortoise, but I'm thinking maybe a smaller star tortoise would be a Better choice for me. And good luck on your search as well! :)

I want to make a responsible decision so my tortoise will be happy. So I'm still going to be doing my research and not just jump in to purchase one. I'll look more into housing to see more options for enclosures. Thanks very much for the advice!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
If you read what you wrote in your very first post, you already have answered your own question... go with the star. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.