Leopard or Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjangle8

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've been wanting a new tort for a while now. I'm having trouble deciding between a leopard and a sulcata. My main concern is the leopards shyness. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks

chadk

10 Year Member!
Have you taken the "sulcata challenge"? Sulcatas grow quickly into destructive giants. I love them like crazy, but you have to be ready for that. If you don't have a stable home with big yard that can handle digging, grazing, and ramming from a big tort, then DON't get a sullie...

Bjangle8

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
chadk said:
Have you taken the "sulcata challenge"? Sulcatas grow quickly into destructive giants. I love them like crazy, but you have to be ready for that. If you don't have a stable home with big yard that can handle digging, grazing, and ramming from a big tort, then DON't get a sullie...
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have taken it. I live on 150 acres so space isn't an issue. I'm a little worried about digging. Just for the sake of it escaping.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Well, if you keep an eye on the fence area, you'll know if it starts digging. Unless you have super soft soil, it would take a while for a grown tort to dig under most fences. You can help reduce the risk by providing a pre-dug hides\den in a safe area, a nice dark tort shed (warm in the cool months, cool in the hot months), etc so it does not feel the need to start a new hole...

Bjangle8

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
chadk said:
Well, if you keep an eye on the fence area, you'll know if it starts digging. Unless you have super soft soil, it would take a while for a grown tort to dig under most fences. You can help reduce the risk by providing a pre-dug hides\den in a safe area, a nice dark tort shed (warm in the cool months, cool in the hot months), etc so it does not feel the need to start a new hole...

I live in Central Alabama. Is it a pretty good climate for a sulcata?

chadk

10 Year Member!
Probably better than mine! I live near Seattle and 3 sulcatas who seem to be doing just fine...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I love my pretty rocks...I mean Leopards :p , but even tho one of them is super friendly, I would have to say if you want out going and friendly your best bet is the sulcata over the leopard. It comes down to individual animal's personalities, but it seems to me almost every sulcata I have met, has had more personality then the leopards I know.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have always believed if the tort is happy where he lives he won't try to escape. Bob has never tried to dig out...he used to try to climb over his walls or knock over the cinder block but I increased his area and he has stopped trying to escape...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
150 acres. Now that is an adequately sized tort enclosure!!! Now your speaking my language. My sulcatas almost never dig. 3 times in 12 years they've started a hole, but I just fill it in when they go to bed and they never try that spot again. My pen is about 6000 square feet and wraps around a building. There were three shade trees in it, but now I'm down to two. I've seen unusually shy sulcatas and unusually outgoing leopards, but in general sullies are far more personable and social with people.

Your area should be great for them most of the year, but Bert Langerwerf sent me pics of his tegu enclosures under snow after a blizzard in Alabama. You'll have to make a pretty big, insulated, heated den box to weather a snow storm with tropical torts.

Of course its a matter of preference, but I love the sullies.

You might want to look into the SOUTH AFRICAN leopards, Geochelone pardalis pardalis. They get bigger, are darker and tolerate the cold much better.

Bjangle8

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the input everyone. Y'all are making me lean more and more towards sulcata. I plan on getting both eventually though. The problem with having so much land is that it would cost a fortune to put sulcata proof fencing all the way around lol. I keep cows on a few of the pastures at all times. In the summer I cut and bale hay on it. I

chadk

10 Year Member!
Bjangle8 said:
Thanks for the input everyone. Y'all are making me lean more and more towards sulcata. I plan on getting both eventually though. The problem with having so much land is that it would cost a fortune to put sulcata proof fencing all the way around lol. I keep cows on a few of the pastures at all times. In the summer I cut and bale hay on it. I

If you start with a rescue sulcata of 5-10lbs, you could probably start with a simple pen that is about 20X20. Then each year you could expand.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is another thread somewhere about building materials. I like the slumpstone or cinderblocks. Easy to move and re-configure. Easy to expand. You only need two high for smaller torts and I can't foresee ever needing more than three high.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I think Roachman's sullies are not full-grown yet...;)

Bjangle, are there any reptile rescues in your area? It seems that new tort keepers often have better luck with Sulcata if they are at least a year old when acquired. Hatchlings are fragile and vulnerable to illness.:cool:

And I just re-read your first post, so I may be wrong about you being a "new" Sulcata keeper. If so, sorry!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you pound stakes down through the middle of the cinderblocks, they are a little more stable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chris Isom said:
Roachman26 said:
There is another thread somewhere about building materials. I like the slumpstone or cinderblocks. Easy to move and re-configure. Easy to expand. You only need two high for smaller torts and I can't foresee ever needing more than three high.

now 2 high cinderblocks, cant a full grown sulcata ram those over??

I use two blocks for smaller torts and three when they get bigger. I use half blocks to start a row so that the bricks are staggered. I've got a pic posted somewhere of my enclosure. Planning on doing better ones soon. When they are staggered this way you can't just topple them over as they are all tied in to each other. My biggest tort is 40 lbs. and they've never attempted to knock them over. This method also makes a good visual barrier so they don't even try to get out. I've got 4' sections of rebar ready to go, but I've never needed it.

I aslo noticed that Bob's ( you know the finest example of a sullie, ever ) enclosure is made from three high cinder blocks. Maggie doesn't seem to have most of hers staggered, but I did see some rebar in the ground through the center of the blocks, if I'm not mistaken. If it will hold Bob, it will hold anything.:p

Bjangle8

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
I think Roachman's sullies are not full-grown yet...;)

Bjangle, are there any reptile rescues in your area? It seems that new tort keepers often have better luck with Sulcata if they are at least a year old when acquired. Hatchlings are fragile and vulnerable to illness.:cool:

And I just re-read your first post, so I may be wrong about you being a "new" Sulcata keeper. If so, sorry!

Well, I am new to sulcata. But I've been keeping redfoots and russians for a few years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.