Trying to decide on first tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I have experience keeping box turtles, but I have not yet had a tortoise. I would like to get my first tortoise but am having trouble deciding on which one. I don't want a small tortoise. Not as small as a box turtle anyway. But I don't want a mammoth tortoise like a sulcata. So a medium sized tortoise I guess. I have it narrowed down (I think!) to three that appeal to me. Can you all help me narrow it down based on your personal experiences? These are the three I am considering.

Yellowfoot - These for some reason appeal to me more than the redfoots, though I understand they are not quite as hardy and need more humidity. And they are also more shy.

Marginated - This may be a good choice. From what I understand they are more outgoing than my other two choices. And they don't need a lot of humidity so that would be one less worry.

Leopard - I would love a leopard tortoise. I understand this is another shy species. And I'm concerned about size. But I really, really like the idea of a leopard tortoise.

Keep in mind, I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area. We have long cold winters, so whatever tortoise I have would need to be able to live in indoor accomdations for the winter. Would that work for yellowfoots or leopards? I do have a separate reptile room, so I don't have to worry about setting up something very large in the main living area! I would appreciate your feedback!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that whatever you get, because it would be an only child and receive a lot of attention, it wouldn't necessarily be shy. My leopards and YF are shy because they only see me (or people) when I'm coming to mess with their area (water, cleaning, etc). A tortoise that gets special attention, like scritches under the chin, petting, talked to, etc. will soon look to his person as the benevolent food godess and will not be so shy. I like the idea of you getting a leopard tortoise. They are so pretty. But, of course, the decision is all yours.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Do you think the leopard tortoise would be ok coming inside during the winters though? That is my concern.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. Of course outside is always better, but inside for the winter would be ok. They grow a bit slower than a sulcata, so stay small enough for long enough that you don't need to go crazy on a table build.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
In doing more research I came up with another tortoise that might be better suited to me. Taking into account the chillier and humid climate I live in. Well, the middle of the summer can get quite hot, but it's still a humid area. I live 2 miles from Lake Erie. Anyway, I'm wondering if the Burmese Mountain Tortoise (brown) might be a good choice for me as well. Though I will always want a leopard! At this rate, not being able to settle one a species, I don't know when I'll get my tortoise...lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A leopard, yellow foot, or Burmese Mt. tortoise, are all going to need very large indoor enclosures as adults. We're talking the entire floor area of a good sized room. The leopard and YF are going to need it pretty warm too. A Burm can take cooler temps, but they also get much bigger and will need even more space. A marginated will be more forgiving of cooler temps and need less space.

Tough call. You'll need to judge your resources and balance what is practical vs. what is possible. With enough space, time and money you could successfully house an Aldabra tortoise indoors in OH, but this is simply not practical for most people.

Good luck on your decision. :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The Burmese Mt. tortoise will get bigger than the leopard and the YF?

It is a tough call. Since I need indoor accomodations in winter, with the heat running and drying out the air, I worry about the high humidity species. But then I want to house the tortoise outdoors during the warmer months, where it is usually humid here (I think our average humidity if you average all months together is around 75%). So then I worry about a leopard or marginated spending time outdoors in our area.

No Aldabra's for me, thanks. :)

In your opinion, of the species I have mentioned which is most hardy in captivity?

The only thing with the marginated tortoise is I believe they still stay quite small don't they? I don't want huge, but I do want a little larger.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I care for a Redfoot indoors in cold climate, jsut fine. (Outside in summer, of course.)

But they are smaller than Yellowfoots, and require slightly different needs.

Perhaps a Hermann's? They are definitely on the easier to care for and small size. But I think of the choices you've mentioned, Leopard would be best.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Hermanns is out. While I do not want a mammoth like a sulcata, I also don't want a small tortoise. I'd like a medium sized tortoise but one that will be ok coming indoors in unsuitable weather.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I'd say go with the leopard or a red foot then. :) You seem to want a leopard, and I think you'd be quite happy with one and take good care of it, just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.