Tortoise won’t eat

Annieluck

Location (City and/or State)
IL
Hello! My names Annie and my tortoise name is raisin, I got him about six months ago, he was doing good I got him some mazuri tortoise diet and he won’t eat it, all he will eat is grass I’ve tried other stuff and he’s just not wanting it. Now he’s not wanting to do anything he won’t eat or move. I’m super worried, please help.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Hi,

Can you please provide information on the species, specs of your enclosure and better yet pics. This will help us determine what may be off. We need this info to help you.

Annieluck

IL
Hello! My names Annie and my tortoise name is raisin, I got him about six months ago, he was doing good I got him some mazuri tortoise diet and he won’t eat it, all he will eat is grass I’ve tried other stuff and he’s just not wanting it. Now he’s not wanting to do anything he won’t eat or move. I’m super worried, please help.
Hi,

Can you please provide information on the species, specs of your enclosure and better yet pics. This will help us determine what may be off. We need this info to help you.
Hi,

He’s a Sulcata, hes in a tortoise house.

Attachments

• 4817B388-DDDF-41BE-AD9C-372478ECFD44.jpeg
    4817B388-DDDF-41BE-AD9C-372478ECFD44.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Annie, we need to know specifics, we just can't help you unless we know age, symptoms, heat temperature, photo of lighting, we need all the info you can give us, we just can't say, "Oh he must have cancer". help us help you

Annieluck

IL
Annie, we need to know specifics, we just can't help you unless we know age, symptoms, heat temperature, photo of lighting, we need all the info you can give us, we just can't say, "Oh he must have cancer". help us help you
He’s about seven months old, he’s not moving or eating and he’s not drinking when I soak him, he just sleeps all day. He’s been like this for at least two weeks I live in Illinois so it is getting cold but he lives inside and has a heat lamp. I would take him outside to eat grass because that’s all he would eat and now he’s not eating anything.

Attachments

• AAD22D82-0DF5-43D2-A9E4-2E6C6B7DFEF2.jpeg
    AAD22D82-0DF5-43D2-A9E4-2E6C6B7DFEF2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 65C028E7-F46E-45F5-94E6-3A5533D6FEAE.jpeg
    65C028E7-F46E-45F5-94E6-3A5533D6FEAE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 506D74FF-4DDE-4A92-8396-6C063779486D.jpeg
    506D74FF-4DDE-4A92-8396-6C063779486D.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 23

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Have you seen the care sheet for sulcata tortoises yet?
There's other information in the sulcata section of the forum that you will probably find helpful.

Annieluck

IL
I’ve had him for about six months. I haven’t seen any yellow spots or bumps on him.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I’ve had him for about six months. I haven’t seen any yellow spots or bumps on him.
Thanks. The reason I asked about yellow bumps or spots is because we've been seeing a lot of cases of those on the forum lately, in baby sulcatas. Many of the hatchlings exhibiting yellow bumps came via Underground Reptiles (but they aren't the only reseller with that issue). Please keep an eye out for any yellow bumps or spots, and let us know if any appear. It's contagious, and we're trying to get to the bottom of it.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I don't have any experience with Sullys but use that care sheet as a your guide. There are several things that can make them not want to eat and temps/lighting are big ones especially with babies. You also need to be soaking regularly and keep the humidity up which is not something you can do with an enclosure like that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Annie. Bad news. You bought your tortoise from a place that has a dismal reputation. They buy their tortoises from breeders who don't start them correctly, and then they don't house or care for them correctly. Then they give you the same wrong care info that they are using. The end result is what you are seeing. Here is more explanation:

This is not your fault. You looked to "experts" for care advice and they told you the wrong stuff. You are not alone. This is how is goes most of the time unfortunately, but we here on TFO are working to remedy the situation.

What can be done about it? All you can do is follow that care sheet and offer the best conditions possible. No vet can help, and no experienced keeper can magically make it all go away. Some of them make it and some don't. All you can do is try your best, learn from the experience, and help us teach others.

Annieluck

IL
Hi Annie. Bad news. You bought your tortoise from a place that has a dismal reputation. They buy their tortoises from breeders who don't start them correctly, and then they don't house or care for them correctly. Then they give you the same wrong care info that they are using. The end result is what you are seeing. Here is more explanation:

This is not your fault. You looked to "experts" for care advice and they told you the wrong stuff. You are not alone. This is how is goes most of the time unfortunately, but we here on TFO are working to remedy the situation.

What can be done about it? All you can do is follow that care sheet and offer the best conditions possible. No vet can help, and no experienced keeper can magically make it all go away. Some of them make it and some don't. All you can do is try your best, learn from the experience, and help us teach others.
Thank you! This is so heart breaking.