Burrowing

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Hi I’m a new tortoise owner and have a few questions I’m hoping someone can answer. I’ve a lot about having hides in the enclosure and things to climb but my tortoise prefers to burrow under the coconut coir and Timothy hay. He won’t eat the hay but likes to burrow under it. Also he doesn’t seem to enjoy climbing. Is he just lazy? I took him to the vet when I first got him and he got a clean bill of health. He’s about 2 years old.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Hi I’m a new tortoise owner and have a few questions I’m hoping someone can answer. I’ve a lot about having hides in the enclosure and things to climb but my tortoise prefers to burrow under the coconut coir and Timothy hay. He won’t eat the hay but likes to burrow under it. Also he doesn’t seem to enjoy climbing. Is he just lazy? I took him to the vet when I first got him and he got a clean bill of health. He’s about 2 years old.
No, some torts just have different personalities. No cause for alarm. I would just provide a hide for if he wants it and let him do his thing. I do not like timmothy hay for substrate because you can’t get it wet and torts need high humidity so I would just stick with coco coir and make sure he has the right humidity.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry I wasn’t clear, I sprinkled the hay -about a handful hoping he’d eat it but he kinda bulldozed it into a pile and burrowed under it. It’s quite humid in Hawaii so I don’t let it get wet. Glad to know that he’s acting normal! I’ve also placed a ping pong ball in his enclosure so he can push that around too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry I wasn’t clear, I sprinkled the hay -about a handful hoping he’d eat it but he kinda bulldozed it into a pile and burrowed under it. It’s quite humid in Hawaii so I don’t let it get wet. Glad to know that he’s acting normal! I’ve also placed a ping pong ball in his enclosure so he can push that around too.
What species are we talking about? What size?

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Great! My torts did the same thing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s a Russian tortoise, vet said hes about 2 years old
How does the vet know the tortoises age? Is it a captive bred tortoise? Where did you get it?

You shouldn't have hay in the enclosure. Your substate needs to be moist, and the hay will mold.

Can we get some pics of the tortoise and enclosure?

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
I took him to a vet that works with reptiles and she said for his size and weight he's about 2 years old. Unfortunately I did not do research and got him from PetSmart where the super friendly salesperson got me to buy a reptile habitat and about another $125 of things I didn't need. So Snoopy is in an aquarium tank. Although from what Ive read, he has the correct lighting and substrate. I also take him out in the yard to get exercise every day for about an hour and soak him 3 times a week for about 10 - 15 minutes, he won't stay longer than that even if I keep the water warm. I dry him thoroughly with paper towels and brush him once a week with a soft toothbrush. We don't have a lot of the same plants in Hawaii, but he eats organic spring mix, romaine lettuce, dandelion, watercress and occasionally cactus, cucumber and aloe.

I'll post pictures

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
I took him to a vet that works with reptiles and she said for his size and weight he's about 2 years old. Unfortunately I did not do research and got him from PetSmart where the super friendly salesperson got me to buy a reptile habitat and about another $125 of things I didn't need. So Snoopy is in an aquarium tank. Although from what Ive read, he has the correct lighting and substrate. I also take him out in the yard to get exercise every day for about an hour and soak him 3 times a week for about 10 - 15 minutes, he won't stay longer than that even if I keep the water warm. I dry him thoroughly with paper towels and brush him once a week with a soft toothbrush. We don't have a lot of the same plants in Hawaii, but he eats organic spring mix, romaine lettuce, dandelion, watercress and occasionally cactus, cucumber and aloe.

I'll post pictures

front view.jpgtop view.jpg

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Its night time so his lamps are off, only my son's table lamp is on. I took out his hide since he doesn't use it, and took out the plants cause he kept digging them up. Other than staying away from his hide, he's energetic and curious and fun to interact with.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If your tortoise is from PetSmart it is older than 2 years. Legally they are not allowed to sell a tortoise under 4" carapace length. Your tortoise is probably more likely 5 or more years old. Do not keep it on moist or damp substrates! Russian tortoises are from a dry temperate desert like environment and that is what the species has evolved to survive in. Russian tortoises are also one of few true burrowing species and will naturally dig down into a substrate in an attempt to create a burrow. Based on the photos that you posted your tortoise lacks any above ground shelter areas. Adding some will decrease (but probably not stop) your tortoises desire to burrow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Snoopy's Mom, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry to say, what you're keeping Snoopy in is not satisfactory. He's hiding all the time because number one, he doesn't feel safe, and number two, the enclosure is way too small for a full grown Russian tortoise (and Petsmart always sells full grown, wild caught tortoises).

Snoopy would be much happier if he were set up in a safe and secure outdoor area where he can wander around and graze. Russian tortoises come from an area where natural food is very scarce, and because of that, they are hard wired to wander over great distances searching for food. He is not used to being cooped up in a small enclosure, and this makes him stressed because he's worried he's in danger.

If you must keep him indoors, then a much larger area is in order.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
If your tortoise is from PetSmart it is older than 2 years. Legally they are not allowed to sell a tortoise under 4" carapace length. Your tortoise is probably more likely 5 or more years old. Do not keep it on moist or damp substrates! Russian tortoises are from a dry temperate desert like environment and that is what the species has evolved to survive in. Russian tortoises are also one of few true burrowing species and will naturally dig down into a substrate in an attempt to create a burrow. Based on the photos that you posted your tortoise lacks any above ground shelter areas. Adding some will decrease (but probably not stop) your tortoises desire to burrow.
Thank you! Iʻll put his hide back in and see if heʻll change his mind and use it, also will change out his substrate. Thank you for replying!

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Hi Snoopy's Mom, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry to say, what you're keeping Snoopy in is not satisfactory. He's hiding all the time because number one, he doesn't feel safe, and number two, the enclosure is way too small for a full grown Russian tortoise (and Petsmart always sells full grown, wild caught tortoises).

Snoopy would be much happier if he were set up in a safe and secure outdoor area where he can wander around and graze. Russian tortoises come from an area where natural food is very scarce, and because of that, they are hard wired to wander over great distances searching for food. He is not used to being cooped up in a small enclosure, and this makes him stressed because he's worried he's in danger.

If you must keep him indoors, then a much larger area is in order.
Thank you for your reply. I take him out every day for about an hour to roam around but will see if I can get my husband to build a larger enclosure. Thank you for your help!

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Thanks everyone for your help and advice, I’m so lucky to find a place with all these people willing to help and share their knowledge!