Tortoise won’t eat

Tyler Fulco

Location (City and/or State)
California
So I have a desert tortoise named tortellini. He’s at least 10 and in good condition. (no pyramiding or anything) he won’t eat a lot of food. He usually just takes a couple bites every now and then but I’ve only had him for a week so I’m wondering if he’s still a little shy. He likes apples which aren’t good for him. I usually just feed him buttered lettuce. He also might not eat because it’s starting to get cold out and he might be starting to hibernate. Any tips?

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does he have a basking spot that he can warm up under that is 95-100 degrees? They need this to digest their food properly. Also try a better diet.
Unless you knew him before you got him, you should keep him up from hibernating the first year.
The not eating could also be due to the cold and readying himself to hibernate.

Tyler Fulco

California
Thank you. He has a place outdoors. He dug a little hiding spot under a nice warm tarp that he sleeps in

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you. He has a place outdoors. He dug a little hiding spot under a nice warm tarp that he sleeps in
Unless the tarp is heated, it isn't warm. Tortoises are cold-blooded so aren't kept warm by blankets like we are. What part of California are you in? Are you going to hibernate him this year?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

Tyler Fulco

California

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Okay, for those of us not in the know, what type, (species) of tortoise are we talking about here, and what size is it?
Most, but not all tortoises will try to brumate if given the opportunity to. If this is what you’re wanting to accomplish and you feel up to the challenge, then I say, go for it. That said, after all the worst that can happen is that your tortoise may die.
All reptiles and amphibians are ectothermic (cold-blooded) animals, relying on their environment for thermoregulation. That said, these animals have evolved and adapted incredible survival strategies to ensure survival when environmental conditions become unsatisfactory. One such adaptation is brumation.
I personally have never brumated any of my tortoises due to the risks involved and myself not feeling competent enough to do so.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
So what do you think I should do? Have you taken a look at all the previous messages in the thread?
I think you should read the desert tortoise section of the forum that I linked above, and probably post a thread in that forum so you can get advice from people who have the same kind of tortoise.