Tortoise needs help?

Hannah Staine

So my little guy otis hasnt been gaining wait since 79 grams. I have the right temps and his tortoise table is now inside of a greenhouse and it is warm and humid. I give all the right food and nutrients and nothing seems to be working. I recently got mazuri to see if that would help and it hasnt. He has really been hardly eating now so I am trying to give him grocery lettuce and even that isnt working. I am thinking he must have parasites and I dont have the money to treat that. I guess im starting to feel like the two options are to risk it and keep doing what im doing and maybe he will come around and I can keep my tortoise that I have spent so much time and effort on or offer him uo to one of you who would be able to treat any sickness he may have. The ideal would be if someone could help him and give him back to me although I know this is a longshot. I dont know what else to do.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
So my little guy otis hasnt been gaining wait since 79 grams. I have the right temps and his tortoise table is now inside of a greenhouse and it is warm and humid. I give all the right food and nutrients and nothing seems to be working. I recently got mazuri to see if that would help and it hasnt. He has really been hardly eating now so I am trying to give him grocery lettuce and even that isnt working. I am thinking he must have parasites and I dont have the money to treat that. I guess im starting to feel like the two options are to risk it and keep doing what im doing and maybe he will come around and I can keep my tortoise that I have spent so much time and effort on or offer him uo to one of you who would be able to treat any sickness he may have. The ideal would be if someone could help him and give him back to me although I know this is a longshot. I dont know what else to do.
Hi Hannah where are you located?I see you've been a member since September so assume you have read the caresheet and Beginners Mistakes (link below)to help give him the best home. Does he have heat and uvb lamps? if so what sort?
Can you post a picture of his table so members can advise if there's something that needs to be changed there?
Sorry for all the questions but the more information you can give the better.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I agree with Lyn. It would be best to post a few pictures. There's a lot of very good experienced members here that could possibly see something that could help you out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Not too many of us have extra money to help other people's tortoises either. I'm sorry our advice isn't working.

A tube of Panacur for horses at a feed store is around $10. I can PM you the dosage if you can afford to buy that, however, I really doubt a 79 gram baby has parasites.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Hannah

Did you get the heat and UVB lamps that were recommended?

If temperatures are too cool (and they will be in a greenhouse unless it's summer) then your tortoise will not be able to digest its food.

Also UVB does not pass through greenhouse glass

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you post pics so we can see if there is a problem?
Not to be judgemental or have a go at you but to help your tort - that's all we want to do.
I haven't seen your other posts and don't have time to search for them so apologies if I'm asking you to repeat yourself.
My leopard tort isn't well at the moment either and I have raised his temps to keep him warm.
Yours maybe better in doors with his uvb bulbs, night heat and a warm room temp.
Just an idea - a simple thing to do that may make a big difference.

Hannah Staine

I know the clamp heat light is bad but it still gives heat it is 104 under it.

Attachments

• 20161109_140050.jpg
    20161109_140050.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16