how does my baby look??

Status
Not open for further replies.

laura808

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
not able to leave comments for now
Ok so i got Otis from a pets discount in kaneohe hawaii were i live on july 1st. the guy there said that he was from california and that he or she was about 4-6 months old. well he was fed that nasty looking colorful tortoise mush and now hes fed grasses,hibiscus leaves, and romaine lettuce. when i got him he was slightly pyramided. Otis is really brave and he likes to be petted under his chin. but once in a while he makes a really high pitched squeal and im not sure what that is he has a basking spot, a shelter area, and a water dish. i dont have a tortoise table yet so for now im using a giant plastic tub. he gets soaked about three times a week and everyday i take him outside to soak up the sun and munch on weeds
so heres some pics and can u guys tell me what u think of him :)

Attachments

• IMG_4846.jpg
    IMG_4846.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4848.jpg
    IMG_4848.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5041.jpg
    IMG_5041.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5040.jpg
    IMG_5040.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4895.jpg
    IMG_4895.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 66

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! Diet sounds good but I'd add more variety if you can, such as weeds and more varieties of greens and lettuces. Make sure to weigh and measure him weekly to track growth. He looks very young or else hasn't been growing. Make sure you have UVB bulb unless he is getting out for hours a day, and a daily pure calcium powder over the food. Hawaii is great for torts! Torts will hiss when they retreat into their shells (air escaping lungs), and of course they fart and have other noises (my tort's jaw is slightly misaligned and it squeaks). Very cute! Can we see enclosure pics? Make sure you have a hide near the basking spot (95 F), near the food, in the coolest spot, and maybe another one in a moderate temp, plus more if its a huge enclosure so the tort can dart from one hide to another. Is he active, basking and eating every day? I'd recommend a vet check up with a fecal test for parasites regardless of the tort's background even with no symptoms, just to be on the safe side. My captive bred tort had two types of parasites the first 6 months I had him, and if he had got an infection on top of them, something like that can be deadly. Best to test and treat if needed. Good luck!

laura808

5 Year Member
thanks for the advise!! i do sprinkle calcium powder on his food. ok ill get some pics of his enclosure. haha...i still need to get him a proper shelter. right now [i no it sounds weird] i have made him a lego shelter. i assure there are no parts that are sticking out so he can't bite anything. but dont worry its only temporary. he likes it alot though :) ill try to take him to the vet but over here they charge WAY to much my moms friend is a vet so ill see if i can talk to her sometime soon

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Your bab looks great. Keep reading and go through some of the older threads about Sulcata--- great info! There are 2 other keepers in Hawaii and I believe Sulcatas are there fav's also. Ken[although he hasn't posted in awhile, and Paul[Deaf Paul for posting[he works with deaf children]. Maybe you should try to find them. Welcome to the forum.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You can use cardboard boxes, fake plants, half logs, or even a bucket or pipe sunk in to the substrate for hides. At a minimum you want the fecal test for parasites if the vet is too expensive or doesn't have tort knowledge (although you should have your tort established as a patient at a tort vet in case of an emergency as they will be much more willing to see a second-time patient than a first-time patient if its last minute).

laura808

5 Year Member
Annieski said:
Your bab looks great. Keep reading and go through some of the older threads about Sulcata--- great info! There are 2 other keepers in Hawaii and I believe Sulcatas are there fav's also. Ken[although he hasn't posted in awhile, and Paul[Deaf Paul for posting[he works with deaf children]. Maybe you should try to find them. Welcome to the forum.

cool! do you know where in hawaii they live?? in response to "tortoisenerd" he does eat everyday like a little piggy and he spends 75% of his day sleeping under his heat lamp :D and here are some pics of his enclosure

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

tortoisenerd said:
You can use cardboard boxes, fake plants, half logs, or even a bucket or pipe sunk in to the substrate for hides. At a minimum you want the fecal test for parasites if the vet is too expensive or doesn't have tort knowledge (although you should have your tort established as a patient at a tort vet in case of an emergency as they will be much more willing to see a second-time patient than a first-time patient if its last minute).

Thank you so much!! i will get him some more hides as soon as i can. Otis also paces back and forth and he wears a path in his substrate [witch is dries corn cob bits] OH YEAH i forgot to tell u guys... Otis weighs about 79.7 grams. my science teacher let me weigh him after school. I try to get him out in the sun as much as possible so i take him to my sister soccer games and cross country practices and meets. he LOVES to run around in the grass and munch on weeds :3

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Laura:

That's a great-looking habitat for your baby.

Welcome to the forum!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first impression, when the picture loaded was, "Wow! That's one colorful habitat!!" You are quite inventive!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Im not too sure how good the corn cobb is for him.. if it gets on his food and he eats it, it may cause a blockage..?
Also its very dry, and they need humidity. it molds when it gets wet.
welcome and start thinking about where his outdoor enclosure will be.. its best to be outside and he will grow fast!
be careful where you alllow him to graze outside. if you dont know if it was sprayed, then dont take him there. also watch for predators.. birds, fox, etc...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I also agree that he shouldn't be out on public grass as 99% sure they put chemicals on it. Best to have a secure enclosure like a plastic tub with substrate to take him out in to get sun, that way he is also accustomed to the travel tote (as I call mine--I take my tort to the vet in it and put it out on the balcony for him to get sun while we sit next to him inside). Start now in your own yard planting weeds, edible plants, and flowers for him, and not using any chemicals (if you have used stuff in the past, it takes 6 months for it to be safe again). How big of a yard do you have for when he gets huge?

I would use a slate tile instead of paper towels for food, and switch to a safe bedding that can be moistened like coconut coir, organic potting soil, cypress mulch, or orchid bark. Corn cobs are known to be overly drying, not safe to digest, and can be difficult for the tort to walk on to the point that their leg muscles don't develop properly. I'd have the substrate as deep as you can make it in that tub without having the tort be in danger of escaping (even on its hind legs climbing on top of cage furnishings, it should not be able to touch the top). For your next tub I'd go higher on the sides so you can make deeper substrate (they like to burrow and dig) and because the tort will be bigger. With some more hides and the replacement substrate I think you'll be in good shape. Do ensure you have an accurate thermometer (like a temp gun) and can achieve a temp gradient from about 75 to 100 at the substrate level, and above 70 at night (no lights on at night, but if you need more heat in winter you can use a ceramic heat emitter or black light bulb, but most people's houses are warm enough). You probably want your own food or postal scale plus a ruler or even calipers to measure and weigh the tort weekly to track growth. Awesome!

laura808

5 Year Member
ok thanks guys ill try to get some new substrate for him and well im 13 yrs old so by the time he gets to be 100+ lbs. il probably have my own house by then with big yard, but right now i do have a good sized yard so im covered in the space department. ok ill keep him in his tub when hes on public turf :) thanks!

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Laura-- You seem to be quite imaginative-- I love your lego hut. I agree that the corn-cob substrate may not be the best--- but look around even some garden soil[without chemicals] and sand[2/3 dirt---1/3sand] will work, as long as you put the food on something else, like a large piece of stone. This way your cost is kept down low. Keep posting---and Keep Reading!

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
and here are some pics of his enclosure
++++++++++++++

Your little one is adorable. I too like the enclosure you made for Otis. You got me thinking about more creative looking ways to make the hidey-holes for my torts.
When my desert torts were about 6in. big, I had a wired cover I plopped over them to give them secure outdoor yard time. Its about a 4' x 4' frame, open bottom and half the top opens up on hinges. The wire top is that small square wire mesh. I put wheels on the side of one end and a handle on the opposite side so I can lift it and wheel it to a new spot. I will take a picture of it if you would like. Or, I saw a thread about enclosures, I havent read thru it yet, maybe there is something in there that would work for you.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you are going to be a homeowner in about 10 years! good for you! ;-)...
Where will he live when you go to college? Do your parents or other family members share your love of him?
For a quick hide.. Cardboard box or get a flower pot, lay it on its side and bury part of it in the soil and put some inside the pot too.
Keep reading, and asking as many questions as you want! :=-)
what is the diet? Spring Mix salad is great to get them on..

M

Maggie Cummings

His habitat is great looking, but I would change 2 things, I agree with Laura and Kate about the substrate and I would add some more legos to his hide and make it deeper and a little more secure...Good job!

laura808

5 Year Member
haha thanks! :D

quote='Wirewehear' pid='158994' dateline='1282072936']
and here are some pics of his enclosure
++++++++++++++

Your little one is adorable. I too like the enclosure you made for Otis. You got me thinking about more creative looking ways to make the hidey-holes for my torts.
When my desert torts were about 6in. big, I had a wired cover I plopped over them to give them secure outdoor yard time. Its about a 4' x 4' frame, open bottom and half the top opens up on hinges. The wire top is that small square wire mesh. I put wheels on the side of one end and a handle on the opposite side so I can lift it and wheel it to a new spot. I will take a picture of it if you would like. Or, I saw a thread about enclosures, I havent read thru it yet, maybe there is something in there that would work for you.

[/quote]

yes my whole family loves otis alot [mostly my mom] but when i go to college my parents can watch him until i get a place of my own. if i live on the mainland later ill take him with me and go through the hassle of flying him over

Laura said:
you are going to be a homeowner in about 10 years! good for you! ;-)...
Where will he live when you go to college? Do your parents or other family members share your love of him?
For a quick hide.. Cardboard box or get a flower pot, lay it on its side and bury part of it in the soil and put some inside the pot too.
Keep reading, and asking as many questions as you want! :=-)
what is the diet? Spring Mix salad is great to get them on..

Status
Not open for further replies.