URGENT HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattkearley

5 Year Member
hi im worried bout my six week old sulcata he hasnt been right all day he has hardly touched his food whereas he usually eats loads. He has also been sleeping with his arms and legs and head out of his shell not moving alot and foaming at the mouth. I have been folowing toms advice on temp and humidity so thought all would be ok . HELP !

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
Keep the heat up, 95-98. Try giving him a warm water soak for 15min or so. I would allways recommend a vet. Don't know what the foam on the mouth is all about, maybe you can elaborate more. Are his eyes open?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Foam usually has two causes: too hot (heat stroke) or poison.

I'm guessing its heat stroke. Put the little guy in some warm but not hot water immediately. While he's soaking, take the temps inside his habitat again with a good thermometer. Yes, it has to be really hot in places, BUT there needs to be a place where the baby can go to cool down if he gets too hot.

mattkearley

5 Year Member
His eyes are closed more than open and he looks really tired like he has no energy . he has also had 3 poos today which by his standard is a lot.

Hi Yvonne thanks for your reply . I will follow your instructions but if its poison what do i do then ?

He also seems like he is trying to go to the toilet all the time like he is straining. Also seems like he is wagging his tail.

mattkearley said:
His eyes are closed more than open and he looks really tired like he has no energy . he has also had 3 poos today which by his standard is a lot.

Hi Yvonne thanks for your reply . I will follow your instructions but if its poison what do i do then ?

He also seems like he is trying to go to the toilet all the time like he is straining. Also seems like he is wagging his tail.

i ve just heard a noise like a squeak and bubbles shot out of his nose . What does this mean is it uri? what shall i do ?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
So, do I have this right? He was just fine yesterdeay... no signs of any of this?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It sounds to me like he may be choking on something. Can you gently open his mouth and see if there is anything lodged in his throat?

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
sounds like a lot of symptoms all combined.......I would take him to a GOOD vet, do you have a herp vet ? where do you live? if it were mine.....if he had 1 of those symptoms maybe 2 i would try to get him to snap out of it on my own but with that many symptoms I'd go to the vet....he is very young and it wont take long for him to go to far down hill...just my opinion

mattkearley

5 Year Member
NEtorts said:
sounds like a lot of symptoms all combined.......I would take him to a GOOD vet, do you have a herp vet ? where do you live? if it were mine.....if he had 1 of those symptoms maybe 2 i would try to get him to snap out of it on my own but with that many symptoms I'd go to the vet....he is very young and it wont take long for him to go to far down hill...just my opinion

he keeps straining to go to poo its reer end is red like his insides are trying to come out. im cant find a vet to see him tonight but i found one that will give me some antibiotics to give him im going now i live in essex england i be back in an hour im realy worried

M

Maggie Cummings

My first thought was heat stroke also. I'd try to cool him down slowly, but just following what Yvonne said, could it be poison? Is there a chance he could have gotten in to something?
However, with that said, I'm sticking with heat stroke and if he made a noise it is not unusual for bubbles to exit the nares when there are bubbles coming out of his mouth.
It's really hard to make a diagnosis just going on someones description...
Please keep us posted and if he's like that tomorrow get him right off to a Vet. If this does not pass tonight he needs to be seen first thing in the morning.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's too young to have stones. Maybe he swallowed something that's too big to come out. Sounds like he's starting to prolapse from the straining. He needs vet intervention. Maybe an X-ray.

mattkearley

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
He's too young to have stones. Maybe he swallowed something that's too big to come out. Sounds like he's starting to prolapse from the straining. He needs vet intervention. Maybe an X-ray.

just got back not good a big red blob hanging out of his bum hardley any movemont i think hes dieing so gutted ive tryed my best to do evrything right

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
he is straining for some reason... use sugar on the red part,, it will help reduce the swelling.. keep it moist and get to vet..
What changes, if any have you made in the past few days? did he go outside? eat something new? did you spray for bugs anywhere?
And of course its sunday... so finding a vet who knows reptiles is harder..
lets us know how he does.. hope you will be ok too.. it can be very hard..

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Oh my, I am so sorry this is happening. I will be thinking of your baby tort and hoping for the very best. Keep us posted!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
reading back Matts post when he first joined.. there were concerns.
The tort was eating wood shavings.. this could be causing a problem now.
He didnt see 'poop', tort was sleeping, not eating much, and the basking spot was too hot..

matt, did you change the substrate? what kind of wood shavings were they? some can be toxic,
did you ever see poop after posting your concern?

I hope this isnt another one of those Hatchling Heartbreakers.. :-(

mattkearley

5 Year Member
it just seems like he had loads of different symptoms, he is very lethargic, isnt hardly moving, he has a red thing sticking out of his bum which looks like a prolapse, i have done what you said with the sugar and it seems like its going down but he still is not moving and still looks like hes pushing out every now and then, he looks in pain, he foamed out the mouth at the start, bout a few hours ago but he hasnt sice then, got him soaking in water again, anyone know what is wrong with him and we cant get to a vet till tommorrow morning?

yes he was pooping fine after that, and changed the the substrate to cypress mulch, but it looks like poison and prolapse which is pretty hard to believe that they have happened at the same time, thanks

he also looks like his eyes are swollen and blue but not sure if thats just from the pain

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
what kind of wood shavings did he eat?
im thinking some sort of toxicity from them, with blockage from ingesting..
but??
What is his normal diet? Are you keeping him warm now? dont allow him to get chilled in his soak.
Has he been outside?

mattkearley

5 Year Member
we have managed to get a few shavings out because he pushed them out and it seems to be going in a bit more, his normal dit is weeds out the garden and grass and calcium power every other day, right now he is in a bath soaking with heat lamp above him, he hasnt been outside at all, thankyou

hes been in the same position now for bout 2 hours now and is not moving, even when we touch one of his legs, he would normally suck them in but hes only moving them ever so slightly, it looks likes hes at deaths door, really sad, dunno what to do?????? help

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am devastated for you. Do you have an exotic vets number? Maybe an emergency vet clinic? Maybe if you could get one on the phone you could persuade him/her to see you?? Again, so sorry this is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.