Tortoise is not eating anything.

jitin2710sharma

Location (City and/or State)
Rajasthan
Hello,
My tortoise is not eating anything from the last 20-25 days......I have put him in uv lamp....also give variety of foods but is not eating.... sometimes drink water only.....his skin is also pilling off and also reddish spot on his neck....may be he is in pain.....please help

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
How has the tortoise been housed? Have you provided uvb? What has changed since the tortoise stopped eating?

jitin2710sharma

Rajasthan
I have provided uvb....he is getting weak day by day....his neck is getting red......N behavior is abnormal n found some sound also from his mouth.....

IMG_20190427_191225.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have provided uvb....he is getting weak day by day....his neck is getting red......N behavior is abnormal n found some sound also from his mouth.....
Looks like some sort of infection, possibly sepsis. If you have exotic vets in your area he needs to go. You can try soaking him in water mixed with carrot baby food. Gluck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of the top reasons for a baby tortoise to not eat is because he isn't warm enough. Please post pictures of the baby's enclosure/lights so we can better help you. This is very important for you to act immediately, as 20-25 days is too long a time to have waited to get help.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hello,
My tortoise is not eating anything from the last 20-25 days......I have put him in uv lamp....also give variety of foods but is not eating.... sometimes drink water only.....his skin is also pilling off and also reddish spot on his neck....may be he is in pain.....please help
Does he have any red spots on his shell?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
As you also mentioned noises from the mouth, is there something wrapped round his neck like a thin strand of hair??

jitin2710sharma

Rajasthan
No...nothing happened like that....most of the he is sleeping....n when wake up then it seems like he is restless...N sometimes continuously shaking his head....

jitin2710sharma

Rajasthan
One of the top reasons for a baby tortoise to not eat is because he isn't warm enough. Please post pictures of the baby's enclosure/lights so we can better help you. This is very important for you to act immediately, as 20-25 days is too long a time to have waited to get help.

Generally I kept him in a plastic tub with food n sometime kept in a wooden box...

IMG_20190427_200933.jpg

jitin2710sharma

Rajasthan
Looks like some sort of infection, possibly sepsis. If you have exotic vets in your area he needs to go. You can try soaking him in water mixed with carrot baby food. Gluck

I keep him daily 15-20 min in water...N also given medicine to him...as there is bubbles also in his nose.....
1. Antibiotic suspension
2. Minerals & vitamins

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I keep him daily 15-20 min in water...N also given medicine to him...as there is bubbles also in his nose.....
1. Antibiotic suspension
2. Minerals & vitamins
Did you get the medicine from a vet, sounds like he may have a respiratory infection and perhaps a secondary infection which seems to cause the red neck.

That is just my theory.

jitin2710sharma

Rajasthan
Yes... medicine is taken from vet....but he is also not sure about the infection.....should I continue that medicine?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Generally I kept him in a plastic tub with food n sometime kept in a wooden box...
If that's what your keeping it in that's definitely not a suitable enclosure. Your light is too far away to be providing adequate uvb and heat. You need a humid hide, substrate, and a much larger space.

jitin2710sharma

Rajasthan
If that's what your keeping it in that's definitely not a suitable enclosure. Your light is too far away to be providing adequate uvb and heat. You need a humid hide, substrate, and a much larger space.
Ok I will do that....please send me some enclosure pics....so can get some idea also

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ok I will do that....please send me some enclosure pics....so can get some idea also
This is a picture of my hatchling enclosure. I have a Ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat that keeps it at 86 degrees.IMG_20190412_170713758.jpg I would bet money your Tort is getting little to no UVB with that light. If it's warm enough there to take your Tort outside I would for some natural sunlight as much as possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here is one example of how my babies live:

baby enclosure e.jpg

You can see how close the lights are to the babies. Also, I cover the enclosure to keep the warm air inside.

You should try to give your baby a natural world - a place that is similar to his world in nature. Plants, dirt to dig in and warm, warm sunshine (light).

jitin2710sharma

Rajasthan
Ohkkkk
Here is one example of how my babies live:

View attachment 270881

You can see how close the lights are to the babies. Also, I cover the enclosure to keep the warm air inside.

You should try to give your baby a natural world - a place that is similar to his world in nature. Plants, dirt to dig in and warm, warm sunshine (light....OTE]

Ok n today I also found foaming in his mouth........how will this happen?