Tortoise fell off and not eating anything

pritesh123

Location (City and/or State)
India
Hello everyone,
I'm new to tortoise form.
I'm putting my concern here.
My tortoise fell off stairs and he is not eating anything, he sleeps all the time, sometimes he suddenly starts moving. Today I was giving him water but it came out of his nose and mouth. I'm really scared and I don't any tortoise vet.
Please help me here.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hopefully @Yvonne G can help. How far did he ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When a tortoise drinks water he drinks through his mouth AND HIS NOSE, so seeing water come out his nose is nothing to worry about.

Just give him time to realize he's safe and he'll start eating again.

pritesh123

India
D
When a tortoise drinks water he drinks through his mouth AND HIS NOSE, so seeing water come out his nose is nothing to worry about.

Just give him time to realize he's safe and he'll start eating again.
I did contact to a vet online.
He prescribed Meloxicam oral suspension.
Seems like he also has swelling around his tail.
Also it appears that he is trying to push out waste but he is not able.
I'm also sacred bcz one of the vet was prescribing an injection.

pritesh123

India
This yellow stuff is coming with his urine.

Attachments

• IMG_20230510_113423.jpg
    IMG_20230510_113423.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
can you post photos of the tortoise, and also how far he fell? Also how big, how old, etc?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
D

You need to review your housing and husbandry and make some changes. First and foremost, get the tortoise in a a large enclosure instead of loose in the house or yard where it can fall down stairs and hurt itself. Next, be sure you are soaking early and often. The yellow stuff is urates. Urates form when they need more hydration. Finally, make sure the tortoise has the correct temperatures. They need a basking lamp when indoors, even in a warm climate. Same thing goes here for a desert tortoise.

Here is the care sheet:

pritesh123

India
can you post photos of the tortoise, and also how far he fell? Also how big, how old, etc?
He is 3.5 years old.
He fell (rolling) from 3 stairs one by one. Each stair is 1 feet high. He fits in a hand.

Attachments

• IMG_20230510_213119.jpg
    IMG_20230510_213119.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 7

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
He is 3.5 years old.
He fell (rolling) from 3 stairs one by one. Each stair is 1 feet high. He fits in a hand.

Ok he is way too little to be roaming your house. Honestly no tortoise should roam a house. It looks good on instagram but it’s deadly, especially for one so little. Please read the links Tom provided above. He needs an enclosure appropriate for his size and species

pritesh123

India
A
Ok he is way too little to be roaming your house. Honestly no tortoise should roam a house. It looks good on instagram but it’s deadly, especially for one so little. Please read the links Tom provided above. He needs an enclosure appropriate for his size and species
At night time he stays in house otherwise he stays and roams outside,
But I have learnt my lesson and I don't want to loose him. I'll follow the complete guide.
Thanks

pritesh123

India
You need to review your housing and husbandry and make some changes. First and foremost, get the tortoise in a a large enclosure instead of loose in the house or yard where it can fall down stairs and hurt itself. Next, be sure you are soaking early and often. The yellow stuff is urates. Urates form when they need more hydration. Finally, make sure the tortoise has the correct temperatures. They need a basking lamp when indoors, even in a warm climate. Same thing goes here for a desert tortoise.

Here is the care sheet:
I'll follow the care sheet.
Thanks Tom

Reactions: Ink

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
D

What type of injection?
Why would any injection be required for the things you mentioned?
Don't allow it until a few of our very knowledgeable members chime in.

pritesh123

India

Here is the care sheet:
Hi Tom,
Would you please guide me which basking lamp I should get for my star tortoise?

Is this lamp fine?

pritesh123

India
Today my tortoise pooped. And he seemed better than yesterday, he was also roaming.
But in the evening he made a strong noise 4 times with his mouth open.
And I checked his butt or tail is swollen (looking bigger than yesterday)

What could be the reason?
What should I do as there's no offline vet who can help me?
Please help me.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
As you have said, you will read and follow the care sheet that has been provided.
In about 90% of cases of illness or injury to tortoises, soaking in warm water for 30 minutes or more twice per day, will help with healing and recovery, for instance, in cases of constipation, moving around in the warm water will bring on the poop. Your tortoise is beautiful, and deserves to be given the best care you can give him.
Yvonne, Tom and Zeropilot are all great tortoise experts among others here, and their advice is to be closely adhered to, to give your tortoise the best chance for recovery.
The other thing you can do here is to post some pictures of the tortoise including the rear end which you say is swollen.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom,
Would you please guide me which basking lamp I should get for my star tortoise?

Is this lamp fine?
No on that lamp. You want a regular incandescent flood bulb. You get them at a hardware store, not from a pet store or reptile product seller. And the basking bulb is just one of the four bulbs you need.

Today my tortoise pooped. And he seemed better than yesterday, he was also roaming.
But in the evening he made a strong noise 4 times with his mouth open.
And I checked his butt or tail is swollen (looking bigger than yesterday)

What could be the reason?
What should I do as there's no offline vet who can help me?
Please help me.
That sounds like it could be the start of a respiratory infection. The cure for this is warm temps day and night.

If the tortoise is constipated, the solution is lots of soaking. Keep the water warm for the entire soak. Soak daily for 40-60 minutes.

pritesh123

India
As you have said, you will read and follow the care sheet that has been provided.
In about 90% of cases of illness or injury to tortoises, soaking in warm water for 30 minutes or more twice per day, will help with healing and recovery, for instance, in cases of constipation, moving around in the warm water will bring on the poop. Your tortoise is beautiful, and deserves to be given the best care you can give him.
Yvonne, Tom and Zeropilot are all great tortoise experts among others here, and their advice is to be closely adhered to, to give your tortoise the best chance for recovery.
The other thing you can do here is to post some pictures of the tortoise including the rear end which you say is swollen.

Attachments

• IMG_20230511_230407.jpg
    IMG_20230511_230407.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230511_230353.jpg
    IMG_20230511_230353.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230511_230337.jpg
    IMG_20230511_230337.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230511_224847.jpg
    IMG_20230511_224847.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise should be no where near stairs! They should be in a safe secure enclosure with correct heat, light, food substrate and water providing a healthy secure life. He is probably terrified and wants to avoid this again. As mentioned soak in clean shallow warm water for 30 mins daily this can get the bowls moving. The white is urates and it looks good as in not lumpy. Hydration helps this to be soft and milky. Ensure your tortoise has access to a cuttlefish or calcium to help strong shell growth.

pritesh123

India
No on that lamp. You want a regular incandescent flood bulb. You get them at a hardware store, not from a pet store or reptile product seller. And the basking bulb is just one of the four bulbs you need.

That sounds like it could be the start of a respiratory infection. The cure for this is warm temps day and night.

If the tortoise is constipated, the solution is lots of soaking. Keep the water warm for the entire soak. Soak daily for 40-60 minutes.
Just now, he made that sound and I noticed water around his nose.