Tortoise in the garden...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Hi all :)
I have just inherited Joey, the 50 year old tortoise
9" long!
He was my grandads and he is now going to watch my little boy (his future owner) grow up.
He has ALWAYS lived outside in the uk and hibernated inside
Our issue is that we have two outdoor cats and a dog
We can easily keep the dog away from him but its the cats we are worried about. How safe is this? I don't want to contain Joey after 50 years of being able to roam anywhere. HELP please :)
Also, he has never had any supplements etc so a list of good food is required If possible please. We have bought some calcium powder and tortoise pellets today xxx
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374425591.261520.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Joey is a pretty nice-looking tortoise. I doubt you'll have any problem with the cats. Once they get over their initial curiosity, they'll leave him alone.

You can use a bit of romaine lettuce about once a week. Take a whole head, cut it in half lengthwise, and moisten it. Then sprinkle reptile vitamins and calcium over the lettuce.

Usually tortoises that have the whole yard to find food in get their nutrients from what they eat, but if you're worried about his health, you can use the romaine, shown above.

Don't get sucked into complacency. Never ever relax your watch-dog attitude about your dog and the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Ditto what Yvonne said, specially about the dog. We have heard too many tortoise mauled by dog stories on here, even the best trained dogs aren't allowed near torts without 100% supervision.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never seen a case of a cat messing with a tortoise that size, but I have seen lots of cases of tortoises being mauled or killed by the family dog.

Joey is such a fine looking tortoise and obviously part of your family heritage. I beg of you, fence off the dog and never allow him contact or proximity to Joey.

Congratulations and thanks to Grandpa for doing such a good job for 50 years!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the fact the torch is being passed on to the Grandchild. How super neat! I have a ton of cats (from tame to feral) and have never haad a problem with them and the tortoises. I don't trust them with the hatchlings, but the bigger tortoises they do fine with. Actually I did have a sulcata start to try to attack a young kitten which followed me into his cage, so I now worry more about the tortoises hurting the cats. :rolleyes: :D

JoeyTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Aw thanks everyone for your replies
Until he gets his new house with a door he is sleeping inside with us (house due Friday) just do we can close his door at night like we do with the hens
We've had horror stories of our own with the dog, he's a 5 ur old border collie and one day decided to attack and kill two of our hens who he'd always lived around and sunbathed with etc! He won't get chance to go near x
Pic attached is our lawn fenced off for my son / Joey the tort :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1374474720.964081.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.