Weird Growth Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

starkid

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I never noticed it, but ever since we bought Joey she's had this weird black growth on one foot. I have posted the pictures on my blog, please help. Is it some kind of illness?

www.startorts.blogspot.com

Utterly Confused,
Starkid.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I'm afraid your tortoise has a broken leg. She/he has been walking on the end of the bone, thats why the black callous. It looks like it has started to heal with the foot attaching to the bone at a funny angle.
Unless you can have a great vet re break it and pin it together right, I'm afraid her/his leg will always be like that from now on.

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree with Dan. Just keep an eye on it to be sure the callus stays hard and doesn't get rubbed raw. It is part of his character.

Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RainbowValley, AZ.
I agree it does appear to be broken..That is so very sad...Your tortoise seems very young..Please find a vet that has reptile knowledge in tortoises in your area..I wonder how or what caused this break...I hope it wasn't caused by anything tramatic..Diet might be a cause but usually a tortoise suffering from calcium deficiency has a soft shell verses the hard shell before a break would accure...I hope your little one will be OK, he has many many years to live with that...Let us know how it turns out...

starkid

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks for the advice but unfortunately where I live there are no vets with tort knowledge.The pet shop had kept the torts in a bad condition. We didn't notice at first, because Joey walks normally.

M

Maggie Cummings

starkid said:
thanks for the advice but unfortunately where I live there are no vets with tort knowledge.The pet shop had kept the torts in a bad condition. We didn't notice at first, because Joey walks normally.

There are lists with the names of Vets around the U.S. If you don't mind, what city do you live in or near? Maybe I can find you one...

Status
Not open for further replies.