Tortoise hats?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
If I had found these when my leopard was little, I would have gotten one. He was always so hard to find when I had him outside. Just look away for a split second and he would blend right in. Supervised with them, I see no harm or for photos. Otherwise I am not one to dress up or paint my animals.

Isn't it amazing how good they are at blending in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Isn't it amazing how good they are at blending in.
You aren't kidding. I can't tell you how many panic attacks I had looking for him. Calling the hubby and son out to look too. Then, there he is, barely hiding. Oh, yea, something like these cozies would have helped a lot.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Still would worry that that torts would eat them, or they'd get tangled in something.
The balloon would probably get caught on something too.
But they wouldn't have a heat problem or block the UVB absorption through the skin.
I think it's one of those things done for the benefit of the owners, rather than with consideration for the tortoise.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hey! Fred fully enjoyed his pasture romp about. He got to traverse hills and ditches and meet snakes and birds. All while I kicked back on the back patio. Had he got close to the property line where the brush is unruly and wild I would have gone and gotten him.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hills and birds, maybe, but ditches and snakes and I think Tidgy would be using the balloon to escape.
But fair enough, I can see the benefit here.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've only let them out on pasture free of horses for the year. Many horse workers are poison to tortoises and what self respecting tortoise could pass on the opportunity to take a bite or two out of grazers poop? Ya know? Ok. Seems we've derailed this thread. Back to tortoise hats. Seen any tortoise cowboy hats?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Or Fezes
I've only let them out on pasture free of horses for the year. Many horse workers are poison to tortoises and what self respecting tortoise could pass on the opportunity to take a bite or two out of grazers poop? Ya know? Ok. Seems we've derailed this thread. Back to tortoise hats. Seen any tortoise cowboy hats?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Still would worry that that torts would eat them, or they'd get tangled in something.
The balloon would probably get caught on something too.
But they wouldn't have a heat problem or block the UVB absorption through the skin.
I think it's one of those things done for the benefit of the owners, rather than with consideration for the tortoise.
I agree with that, Adam. Couln't a tort eat parts of that hat? Couldn't it get too hot? Wouldn't the hat annoy the tort?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree with that, Adam. Couln't a tort eat parts of that hat? Couldn't it get too hot? Wouldn't the hat annoy the tort?

Keep in mind, these are nit kept on 24/7, and so they can still have time to get their UVB in. Also these are adult tortoises not hatchlings with their high UVB needs.

I would bet most tortoises never even notice they are wearing them. Much like mine running around with a deep mud layer on their shells. As for the heat, I can not imagine humans being out with their tortoises any time wearing one of these would make the tortoise too hot.

Eating them... well would be hard for the tortoise to turn around, get a hold of and then chew the yarn. Yarn is fairly strong too. Plus the human would catch them if they are watching at all.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Keep in mind, these are nit kept on 24/7, and so they can still have time to get their UVB in. Also these are adult tortoises not hatchlings with their high UVB needs.

I would bet most tortoises never even notice they are wearing them. Much like mine running around with a deep mud layer on their shells. As for the heat, I can not imagine humans being out with their tortoises any time wearing one of these would make the tortoise too hot.

Eating them... well would be hard for the tortoise to turn around, get a hold of and then chew the yarn. Yarn is fairly strong too. Plus the human would catch them if they are watching at all.
Fair enough, let's assume the tort cannot reach the hat and consequently would not be able to eat it/part of it, but would it not feel it?

Cj001

New England
I love the hamburger one!! I'd say these are strictly for photograph purposes. Put it on, snap a pic, take it off, and have a cute photo of your tortoise in a hat. While I'm not sure I'd purchase one for such a short wearing, I can see making something like this for fun :) I mean who can look at that hamburger tortoise and not smile?

ladyengineer

For that, this is more my can of beer, oh, I mean cup of tea if ever I was to drink one. View attachment 137478View attachment 137479

Love the balloon idea, I saw something like this when Pegasus was tiny and decided if I tried that he might fly away (he was about 5cm long...) so I tried this...

Works AMAZINGLY well, he's easy to find when he wanders into a flowerbed, and doesn't blend in so much. CHEAP too, cost of rainbow ribbon: £1. Ability to find tortoise: Priceless.
20130629_143537.jpg 15039132750_1258ddeeec_h.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
A potential issue I see is a tortoise may accidentally eat part of it if the hat should slide off or one of the decorations on the hat falls off. An easily mitigated risk by simply supervising the tortoise while it's wearing the hat though.