new horsefield advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummerboyed

5 Year Member
I have been looking at buying a horsefield and i have a few worries which id love people opinions on.
Firstly, i heard from a friend that for the first few years they are too small to hibernate so there vet said you have to bath them daily and keep them awake for a few years so is this true?
secondly i plan to keep him indoors so any help on this?
and finally i will be going to university next year so will it be okay for him to come with me because he will still be inside and i will give him access to an outside area!?

any help would be appreciated
thanks

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
I would not bring it to a dorm. If you had an apartment off campus that would be way better. But you also have to make sure if you have room mates that they would respect the animals space. No getting trashed and trying to play with turtle. LOL... but I'll wait for someone else to give you some good advice of enclosures and such. Good job on doing your research first though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I never advocate getting a tortoise if its going to have to live indoors most of the time. If it can have some outside time then that's ok. A baby Russian tortoise, or any baby tortoise that hibernates, in my opinion, is better off not hibernating for the first three years. I know that they hibernate in the wild, but what's not known is now many babies die during hibernation in the wild. If you're getting a full grown Russian, then you would only keep it awake the first year. That gives you time to make sure the tortoise isn't sick and is eating well. Its fairly easy to keep them awake during wintertime. You just have to simulate a summer-time situation for the tortoise...12 to 14 hour, warm days and not too cool at night time. Its a good idea to soak a baby every day because they dehydrate very quickly under the hot lights and heaters. But if you get a grown tortoise (still pretty small, as they don't grow very big), you only need to soak once a week...even less if he uses his water dish.

My final words on the subject: A tortoise needs the sun in order to grow and be healthy. Its good for their physical plus their mental well-being. In my opinion, you should wait until you are out of college to get a tortoise. They just plain do much better when allowed to be a tortoise and live outside.

Yvonne

drummerboyed

5 Year Member
thanks for your opinion. i must admit i am very worried about this and is the only reason for me not to get the tortoise. i just dont no what to do really because i would still look after him but would just worry id lose interest with the busy uni lifestyle! oh the confusion!!

emysemys said:
I never advocate getting a tortoise if its going to have to live indoors most of the time. If it can have some outside time then that's ok. A baby Russian tortoise, or any baby tortoise that hibernates, in my opinion, is better off not hibernating for the first three years. I know that they hibernate in the wild, but what's not known is now many babies die during hibernation in the wild. If you're getting a full grown Russian, then you would only keep it awake the first year. That gives you time to make sure the tortoise isn't sick and is eating well. Its fairly easy to keep them awake during wintertime. You just have to simulate a summer-time situation for the tortoise...12 to 14 hour, warm days and not too cool at night time. Its a good idea to soak a baby every day because they dehydrate very quickly under the hot lights and heaters. But if you get a grown tortoise (still pretty small, as they don't grow very big), you only need to soak once a week...even less if he uses his water dish.

My final words on the subject: A tortoise needs the sun in order to grow and be healthy. Its good for their physical plus their mental well-being. In my opinion, you should wait until you are out of college to get a tortoise. They just plain do much better when allowed to be a tortoise and live outside.

Yvonne

thanks yvonne i do agree with you however this year i would spend plenty of time with the tortoise in the garden however next year at uni it would be inside more often. i agree that maybe i should wait but after doing so much research and getting excited i really want one!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! Glad you joined us.

I waited until after college to get my tort and I am so glad I did. I now have the time, money, and space to devote to him and do it right. Many dorms do not allow pets of any kind. You don't want your pet to limit your choices and future. It's tough to move with a tort, and not really fair to them to put them through living in a cramped enclosure. Think of the research as an investment in the future. You can never research too much. I would not have had the time, money, or space in college to be a good tort owner. It would not have been allowed at my college, and probably not even in my off-campus housing due to a strict lease. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.