Lights burning out?

turtlejoe52210

So we got some exo Terra heat bulbs for our terrarium. And they do great for our russian tortoises with keeping them warm, But they keep burning out. The lamps are pointing strait down but I can't see any reason for them to be overheating or anything. Am I doing somthin wrong? Or could it be just a crappy brand?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Are using a timer? Are there any indicators before they go or do the bulbs just go?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm thinking you've bought the Exo Terra Mercury Vapor Bulb, right? This bulb gets very hot and needs to be mounted in a fixture with a ceramic base. Not the Bakelite or plastic fixtures.

This:

clamp light.jpg
Notice the white or ceramic area where the cord goes into the fixture.

Not this:

Clampon.jpg

See how the back part is black (or dark brown)? That's plastic, or Bakelite. Not good for MVB.

turtlejoe52210

The fixtures im using do have a ceramic base.....however. I had noticed a mistake in my earlier post. There zoo med not exo terra, i had thrown away the box. Either way, it wasnt a mvb because they were a bit too expencive. Maybe zoo med isnt good. We bought them in a two pack and the other one seems to still be operational. As far as i can tell, when i turned it on, it just didnt turn on. Maybe ill just try a differant brand.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All of the filament type bulbs are very prone to damage if they are jiggled about. Any jolt or bump could damage the filament especially if it is still hot and weakened. Mount it as solidly as you are able to and in a position that wont have to be manipulated.
See if it helps.