Scollins17

Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert AZ
Hi I'm buying a used vivarium for my yearling tortoise.
Should I just wash it out with hot water and scrub it or is there any other disinfecting procedures I should do?

huaban

Cypress, TX
I would recommend you to use some disinfectant to deep clean. I don't buy used enclosures, because you never know what happened in that enclosure before.

BTW, zoo med has reptile disinfectant spray. You can try that one.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Should I just wash it out with hot water and scrub it or is there any other disinfecting procedures I should do?
Yes, please do wash it out with disinfectant. Very, very important that your tort not encounter other species' pathogens.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Now is the time to use the strong keep away from animal stuff! Then let it air out a long time in full sun after

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Scrub it out with dish soap and hot water. Out in full sun is best. Then make up a 10% ammonia solution and saturate the whole thing with it. Keep spraying and saturating for a good 20 minutes. Then rinse well and let it bake in the hot sun for a couple of days outside. There should be no ammonia smell when you move the tortoise into it eventually.

I recommend ammonia because some tortoise pathogens are not affected by bleach.