Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm just curious, how does everyone clean their tort enclosures out? I just got my new enclosure set up inside :) and it is mainly eco earth with a few large rocks. I'd imagine it would be easy to just scrub the rocks off, but what about cleaning the eco earth? I'd think that the poop would get all mixed in with it?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
i usually do a daily spot check for larger easy to remove stuff then i'll change out the entire substrate every month or so...whenever it starts to look dirty. this will vary depending on your setup and what youre feeding etc etc

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I spot clean and completely replace every 6 months (spring and fall) dumping it on gardens. I use an organic hardwood mulch.

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
the same thing here. i check for any droppings i can see and remove them, and the dirt under and surrounding it. i replace my substrate once every week or two. it's not neccessary to replace your substrate that often, but i LOVE seeing Captain in a nice clean home! as for furniture, i bleach and thoroughly rinse them once a week,

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Spring and Fall. I just finished putting in all new substrate, plants, water dish, new UVB tube light. Pio is all set for the winter. In the Spring he will get an all new out door enclosure.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We do the same as Josh. Spot clean daily and completely change out at the first of every month. You know, the more you bath your torts outside the cage(they poop in the bath) the less mess there will be inside the cage.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I do about the same as Josh and Tim & Robin. Spot clean daily I use aspen so it is easy to see. Then replace all the aspen about monthly but I do it the last week of the month. So some months I get 5 weeks instead of. lol Scrub any thing in the enclosure with water and a diluted bleach solution if it looks dirty and monthy when I clean out the enclosure. The water bowl gets done daily. Sometimes more if needed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All of my animals are outdoors. I have a big blue dust pan with a long handle and a dog poop rake. Every morning when I go out to open the doors and feed, I take Big Blue and pick up the land mines and rake out the sheds. I don't use substrate in the sheds, they just have a thick rubber horse stall mat on the floors. None of my "special circumstance" babies are kept in containers long enough to worry about cleaning them. I provide new substrate every time I set one up and it gets tossed as soon as the "special circumstance" goes back outside.

Yvonne

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
I clean water bowls, food trays and such with a diluted bleach solution and rinse {and rinse and rinse, lol} weekly ~

As for the land mines, my guys are little, and since I use carpet indoors, it's easy to remove the mess & then spray the carpeting clean with a strong surge of water.

I have to say, Robin made a very good point in that the bath time is also commonly a "potty time" and so that cuts down on the amount of feces in the enclosure{s}

Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.