Tell me about Spurthighed Tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Wait....what? Sulcatas aren't African spur thight tortoises??? Ok, I think I might need to start a new thread on this... :(

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
"Let the Lord Of Chaos Reign!"

I always told everyone WalkingRock was a "Spur-Thighed African Land Tortiose" it wasn't till I got on this site a week ago that heard anyone call his spieces "Sulcata".... then I heard it twice from a Doctor and a Lawyer (parents from school).

I will admit, Sulcata is ALOT easier!

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Born around 1970, he is not only a full grown adult but an old guy. He would be over 40 years old.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Mao Senpai said:
Here's a silly question... I'm gonna guess the whole spur thigh means it has "spurs" on the leg somewhere? Exactly what are these spurs... the scale thinggs? If so don't they all have it ? I'm looking at mine and I don't know what I am looking for hehe...

P.S. I feel silly with this question!

The "spurs" are really spurs, just small conical shaped scales that protrude from the back of the thigh. Usually just a single pair, one on each thigh. Occasionally some Spur-thighs have only a single spur on just one thigh or some may have two on a thigh or both thighs. The number and configuration of the spurs does not seem to be subspecies specific.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
GBtortoises said:
Mao Senpai said:
Here's a silly question... I'm gonna guess the whole spur thigh means it has "spurs" on the leg somewhere? Exactly what are these spurs... the scale thinggs? If so don't they all have it ? I'm looking at mine and I don't know what I am looking for hehe...

P.S. I feel silly with this question!

The "spurs" are really spurs, just small conical shaped scales that protrude from the back of the thigh. Usually just a single pair, one on each thigh. Occasionally some Spur-thighs have only a single spur on just one thigh or some may have two on a thigh or both thighs. The number and configuration of the spurs does not seem to be subspecies specific.

Hey thanks! I see them now! Oh man.. I was just confused on what to look for hehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.