Tell me about Spurthighed Tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, U.K
In the title really.
Found a around 1970 Spurthighed tortoise that I'm interested in. No photos yet but will post some when I get some.
But I just want to know basics care wise as well as general information about there temperament etc.
Obviously he'd be kept separate from Squirt :)

Thank you :D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
There's plenty of care information if you peruse threads in the Sulcata section (http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Forum-Sulcata-tortoises#axzz1cZ5NA6ZK).

I'm still learning myself, but here are some "basics" I've picked up so far (mostly from the good members of this forum!):

- they get big, and they get big quick!
- If this is an tortoise born around 1970 (if I'm understanding your post correctly), its likely already an adult. This is going to be an animal that most definitely be house outdoors. I would suggest taking a gander in the Enclosures section to look at threads of examples of how keep their large tortoises outside.
- Sulcatas are primarily grazing herbivores, eating grasses and hay throughout the day. Babies can be offered "spring mix" salad greens from the grocery store.
- You won't find it on many care sheets, but humidity and daily misting is important in preventing pyramiding. Again...somewhat of a moot point for a large adult tortoise, though.
- Not only are they large, but they are natural excavators! When kept outside, be sure to take measures to prevent escape via digging under enclosure barriers.
-------------

I'm sure other members will chime in soon enough.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Steph, is the sulcata the "spur thigh" your referring to? There are other species whom are often called by the same name. :tort:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca) is the true spur-thigh. African spurred tortoises are more commonly referred to as sulcatas (Geochelone sulcata). They get huge! Greeks don't ;)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
LOL...that's why people need to learn taxonomic names! I've heard sulcatas referred to as: African spurred tortoises, African spur-thighed tortoises, spur-thighed tortoise, african spurred tortoise, the African sulcata (lol...what other sulcata is there?)...etc etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GBtortoises said:
Greeks=Spur thigh tortoise

Sulcata=Spur tortoise

I always thought:

Sulcata="African" Spur thigh

stephiiberrybean said:
In the title really.
Found a around 1970 Spurthighed tortoise that I'm interested in. No photos yet but will post some when I get some.
But I just want to know basics care wise as well as general information about there temperament etc.
Obviously he'd be kept separate from Squirt :)

Thank you :D

We have a member named Kelly (Stells2), who keeps greeks (spur thighs) in the UK. She'd be a good person to get advice from about how to care for them over there.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
I always thought:

That's how Fife referred to them in the October 2001 issue of Reptiles. Time and time again he called them spur-thighs...even though he conceded that their true name is African spurred! Different strokes for different folks, I guess! I NEVER called them spur-thighs...because they're spurred front and back!:D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can recall a few times, even Russians were labeled as spur thigh tortoises. :rolleyes:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DeanS said:
Tom said:
I always thought:

That's how Fife referred to them in the October 2001 issue of Reptiles. Time and time again he called them spur-thighs...even though he conceded that their true name is African spurred! Different strokes for different folks, I guess! I NEVER called them spur-thighs...because they're spurred front and back!:D

Yeah, I've always just called them "sulcatas".

... okay this is off topic.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Well technically Sulcata do have spurs on their legs right?! But I agree, if they're just called Sulcata there is no mistaking what we're talking about. The Greek tortoises (which I hate them being called "Greeks" by the way), were the first commonly to be called "Spur thighs" and then the Sulcata took over. So I propose this:

Sulcata=Sulcata
"Greeks"=Spur thighs

...and, Russians aren't Russian and not all Redfoots are red-footed...

The good news is that Marginateds are actually Marginated and Hermann's, well, they're, uhhhh...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GBtortoises said:
Well technically Sulcata do have spurs on their legs right?! But I agree, if they're just called Sulcata there is no mistaking what we're talking about. The Greek tortoises (which I hate them being called "Greeks" by the way), were the first commonly to be called "Spur thighs" and then the Sulcata took over. So I propose this:

Sulcata=Sulcata
"Greeks"=Spur thighs

The good news is that Marginateds are actually Marginated and Hermann's, well, they're, uhhhh...

:D Yeppers, best not to go there. :D

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
It is defiantly not a Sulcata!
If it were I'd know how to care for him because I have Squirt, who is a leopard but not much different.

I believe he is Testudo graeca. So a greek.

To be perfectly honest with you I don't know much about him. Only what the person posted online which was
"Looking to re-home my old man. He is a spurthighed tortoise, around 1970. Looking for a good home for him... *price*"

Thanks Tom I shall contact her :D

I don't want to argue with anyone but It was not me who did not know his taxonomic name. I knew what was put on the ad and that was all. If I knew i would have put it's taxonomic name rather than "Spurthighed"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cultural difference. Over on YOUR side of the Atlantic, I think most people do refer to Testudo gracea as spur-thigh tortoises. Over here in America, we've do things a little differently. Our way is sometimes not the most sensible way...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Seriously, if the tortoise has been in captivity that long, it is very likely a Testudo species. As the OP says, probably a "Greek" (Spur thigh) tortoise. We'd love to see a photo or two!

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Tom hit the nail on the head. Yep they are greeks if they are spurthighed over here. :) Sulcata is just a sulcata, good luck finding one over here. I've searched high and low for a Sulcata! Only found one place that occasionally gets them in.

Update on the tort:
I was trying to get hold of the lady who had it but she still hasn't answered my question. Over here you have to have paper work for a testudo species, this tort didn't have said paperwork as it was born before it was made illegal not to have the paperwork.
Now to me it sounded slightly dodgy that the woman hadn't applied all them years ago but she did sound like she didn't really know anything about torts and claimed not to know where to get the paperwork from (which i can understand, if it was just a "housepet" than someone wouldn't necessarily know where to get paperwork or think it important after owning the tort for that long!)
So I messaged her anyway saying if she got paperwork etc I would be interested. I then got a message off a different person saying "be careful of ******* she is always buying and selling torts and doesn't have a clue what she is doing" which raised alarm bells. Especially with me not hearing anything back from her after asking about paperwork.

So I'm sad to say i won't be getting this tortoise, never mind. My mum was really excited though. She loves old tortoises. So I guess i'll just have to find her another oldie.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GBtortoises said:

Sulcata=Sulcata
"Greeks"=Spur thighs

the very best of all... :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
GBtortoises said:
(which I hate them being called "Greeks" by the way),

My tortoise partner is a purist and he NEVER uses the common names. But since he's moved to Philadelphia and I've become active on the forum, I've gotten used to the common names. I think way back when I first joined the forum, Danny had a thing about using the latin name. He suggested we always use the latin name then in parentheses mention the common name...or vice versa. I think we did that for a while, then just kinda' got away from it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
GBtortoises said:
(which I hate them being called "Greeks" by the way),

My tortoise partner is a purist and he NEVER uses the common names. But since he's moved to Philadelphia and I've become active on the forum, I've gotten used to the common names. I think way back when I first joined the forum, Danny had a thing about using the latin name. He suggested we always use the latin name then in parentheses mention the common name...or vice versa. I think we did that for a while, then just kinda' got away from it.

I agree with your partner and Danny! It would be much easier if everyone used the latin name when referring to a species. I have gotten into the (bad) habit of using common names here on TFO although I do try to initially list both the common and latin name together in a post. The problem with common names is, as with "spur-thigh", that it could be referring to one or more different species. Common names also differ from region to region and country to country.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Here's a silly question... I'm gonna guess the whole spur thigh means it has "spurs" on the leg somewhere? Exactly what are these spurs... the scale thinggs? If so don't they all have it ? I'm looking at mine and I don't know what I am looking for hehe...

P.S. I feel silly with this question!

Status
Not open for further replies.