Suggestion in Classifieds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Along with the three threads in the Classifieds board, would it be possible to have a forth one dealing with Breeders/Experiences?

It would be a thread for us to leave feedback about breeders/companies/et al so other forum members could read our comments before making a deal with someone.

Just an idea.

pealow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That's actually a great idea...some forums already have it.

Paula

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
I think there is a place for constructive feedback on breeders and suppliers etc..

however from personal experience, these things can be bad as well.

Given that this is a public forum, ( relatively anyone can register to become a member )..

Its been known that competing breeders in an area will post bad feedback just to improve their own status.

this is hard to monitor on large sites.. but stands to reason that on a smaller board such as this.. its easily maintainable..

for example, if a new user signs up, makes 1 post to the classifieds area with a negative comment about a breeder.. then is never to be seen again.. chances are you wont take that one persons advice to heart.

vs. a member who has 100's of posts.. their opinion might and should carry more weight with those making a judgement.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
bdoyle said:
I think there is a place for constructive feedback on breeders and suppliers etc..

however from personal experience, these things can be bad as well.

Given that this is a public forum, ( relatively anyone can register to become a member )..

Its been known that competing breeders in an area will post bad feedback just to improve their own status.

this is hard to monitor on large sites.. but stands to reason that on a smaller board such as this.. its easily maintainable..

for example, if a new user signs up, makes 1 post to the classifieds area with a negative comment about a breeder.. then is never to be seen again.. chances are you wont take that one persons advice to heart.

vs. a member who has 100's of posts.. their opinion might and should carry more weight with those making a judgement.

Exactly. Its an issue of credibility. The same idea goes for people who register only to post their adds for sales.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I'm working on a feature like this but sorting through who's feedback is worthwhile and who's is spam will be troublesome, as you guys have already pointed out. If you guys have any ideas on how this could all be implemented, let me know. I'll be chewing on it for a little while -- I have exams this week -- I should be able to start doing some research next week.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Good luck with finals, Josh!

I know yahoo, myspace and other sites have spam filters. I'm not sure how the forum could get a filter.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
I have an idea for you josh. what if you made one member a moderator of this feature being talked about. than you could be free of monitoring it by yourself. again only an idea. i don't even know if it is possible.

Good luck Josh

wayne

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
Is it possible, since the amount of posts a person makes, changes their status under their names in the forum, that only peoplewith x amount of posts can post reports?

or perhapse is there different user levels ? Administrator, moderator, Advanced member , public member ?

so only advanced can post?

That'd at least ensure its regular users posting and not some random hot head.

chances are anyone whos made over 75 - 100 posts is at least serious about their tortoise business

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That seems like a fair way to do it.

Let anyone read the forum, but only members who have been permitted/granted access can make posts/comments.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I know on some boards you post to the moderator or Administrator if you want something added to an area Like we do with the Events Area here. That way the Moderator or Administrator could pre-approves the content - to eliminate spam or slams.

Status
Not open for further replies.