Tortoise Supply ?

chandlerpeanuts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Big Pine Key, Florida
After a few months of debating, I have decided to bring a redfoot tortoise into my home. Since I live so far away from most breeders, I've decided to try to order one from tortoisesupply.com.
This is the first live animal that I will have ever had delivered to my house, so I am a little bit nervous about the process.
I've looked at other threads and have yet to see anyone with any bad experiences ordering through this site, so I figured I would make my own thread to make sure that it was a safe bet.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
They are amazing people ! Personally I never order anything from them but I enter a contest on their Facebook page and I end up on second or third place they only had a price for the first place and they gave me a price also they didn't had to but they did , they are great people I've heard many good things about them :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tyler is a forum member, forum sponsor, and a personal friend. His company is a top notch operation in every way. You can be completely at ease doing business with him. I am so confident of this that if something goes wrong that I will personally reimburse you out of my own pocket. There is no way this would happen in a million years... You are extremely unlikely to have any problem in the first place, but if you did, Tyler will make it right no matter what.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Tom, couldn't have said it better. I too am a personal friend of Tyler, locally and have had the chance to work with him at the Vegas Reptile Expo. I have also personally bought from Tortoise Supply, over the past years and have never had a problem. Tortoise Supply, is a great choice.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I got my tortoise from Tyler last year. She spent LESS than 24 hrs in transit from Las Vegas to New Orleans, and I could track her at every stop via Fed Ex. She has been active, healthy and eating well from day 1. And Tyler has continued to be quickly available and helpful via email well after her arrival. I couldn't be happier- you can't go wrong with Tortoise Supply!!!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
chandlerpeanuts said:
After a few months of debating, I have decided to bring a redfoot tortoise into my home. Since I live so far away from most breeders, I've decided to try to order one from tortoisesupply.com.
This is the first live animal that I will have ever had delivered to my house, so I am a little bit nervous about the process.
I've looked at other threads and have yet to see anyone with any bad experiences ordering through this site, so I figured I would make my own thread to make sure that it was a safe bet.

I have no comment about your current vendor of choice. I don't have a contribution for your Thread's interest. I do have a question though.

I am profoundly interested to know why you would go about as far from home as possible when they are sorta speak, right down the street?

You live in Florida, the state that may very well have more redfoots than some of the smaller countries in South America. A state where redfoots don't know they are not in their native range and live outside year-round with some breeders. Within 100 mile range (Miami at about 140 miles away) from your house there are one or two breeders of redfoots.

Is there something about all those opportunities that would lead you to buy online from 2500+ miles away? Really?

I get it for manufactured things, price and brand are big drivers. But a live animal unique among the 10,000's out there, does not for me inspire they same thinking processes.

Just wondering about your thought process here, good luck with whatever choice you make. Will

chandlerpeanuts

5 Year Member
Big Pine Key, Florida
Will said:
chandlerpeanuts said:

I have no comment about your current vendor of choice. I don't have a contribution for your Thread's interest. I do have a question though.

I am profoundly interested to know why you would go about as far from home as possible when they are sorta speak, right down the street?

You live in Florida, the state that may very well have more redfoots than some of the smaller countries in South America. A state where redfoots don't know they are not in their native range and live outside year-round with some breeders. Within 100 mile range (Miami at about 140 miles away) from your house there are one or two breeders of redfoots.

Is there something about all those opportunities that would lead you to buy online from 2500+ miles away? Really?

I get it for manufactured things, price and brand are big drivers. But a live animal unique among the 10,000's out there, does not for me inspire they same thinking processes.

Just wondering about your thought process here, good luck with whatever choice you make. Will

The last I checked, which was a month or so ago, there weren't any breeders closer than Miami who currently had any for sale.

Additionally, the simple fact that I live relatively (I'm not sure where the breeders are exactly, my information came from a secondary source) close to said breeders does not mean that I have the transportation to pick up a tortoise.

I also would prefer to purchase one from a reputable source, no matter how far. I have had bad experiences in the past purchasing animals from local breeders, (though I have not bought a redfoot before), so I'd prefer to go the safe route.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
chandlerpeanuts said:
Will said:
chandlerpeanuts said:

The last I checked, which was a month or so ago, there weren't any breeders closer than Miami who currently had any for sale.

Additionally, the simple fact that I live relatively (I'm not sure where the breeders are exactly, my information came from a secondary source) close to said breeders does not mean that I have the transportation to pick up a tortoise.

I also would prefer to purchase one from a reputable source, no matter how far. I have had bad experiences in the past purchasing animals from local breeders, (though I have not bought a redfoot before), so I'd prefer to go the safe route.

I see, thanks for responding to this small side bar. Sorry your local-ish breeder brought you a bad experience. Maybe you would share that on the vendor review Topic area. Will

jacktaylor900

5 Year Member
Tyler is awesome I got my sully from him he's so big now and no pyramidig at all

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not a personal friend of Tyler's, but have purchased supplies from him. Met him in person and do know of some of his tortoise transactions. He's a stand up guy. You picked a great place and guy to buy from. Don't forget to show us your little one when it arrives.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
I have purchased from Tyler, and through "nature's calling" NOT resulting in anything he or I could have prevented, He still made things right with me!

Excellent Customer Service!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I got my Hermann's from Tortoise Supply about a year and a half ago. I had no idea what I was doing, really, and didn't have a lot of questions or contact with Tyler. But from the small amount of contact I did have, he seems like a great guy to do business with.

I really wanted a hatchling Hermann's but couldn't get it shipped for a few days after I found his website (needed to get the habitat set up), he was willing to hold on to one for me for up to a week before shipping as long as I paid up front. Ended up not having to do that anyway but most breeders, especially ones with that many tortoises to sell, probably wouldn't want the liability of holding on to any tortoise they've already sold.

I was all prepared for little Carl to be in shock and not eat for a few days... he was literally eating five minutes out of the deli-cup. Which to me is just a big sign of very good care from the beginning. Needless to say he was also packaged very very well in his little box. Spent very little time in shipping, and I was online every 15 minutes watching his progress!

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Hello , I have to add my two cents . Will brought up a brilliant point , but I think you are more concerned with everything going smoothly , rest assured that many ,many people order animals online , you can be sure that getting a turtle shipped by some one like Tyler is fine he has a great rep.and it is his business to give good customer service. I've ordered many turtles and all arrived great , I'm not easy to please ,getting pictures of the exact torts,preferring to use credit card ( they will cancel payment at the slightest problem) all of my turtles have come perfectly fine ,having the set up ready is best ,and you did that. Don't worry order your turtle and enjoy . I felt compelled to post because most people here don't know how problematic living in a cooler climate is regarding the husbandry aspect . Right now our box turtles are buried for the next SIX or Seven Months ! I'm jealous of fellow tort keepers that can leave their turtles out all year or most of it . Have fun , I also think baby turtles are seasonal ,red foots were for sale every where two months ago now they seem to be not as readily available ,and I'm starting to see yellow foots , I have just ordered two " harlequin " yellow foots from turtle source ,they are being put on a plane as I write this . I've learned to get while the getting is good or you lose your chance. BUT, be careful on sites like fauna and king snake you can get burned pretty bad . That is not the place for a newbie or the faint of heart. I'm sure members could tell many story's , but it's getting late and I hope my writing was not to painful to read , good night everybody .

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Well now, I want to be a Tortoise Supply customer. I feel like I'm missing out!!
Time to browse his site to see what I want to buy :D

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I swear I see at least one or two of these threads a year. I think we have a sticky a post that just says "YES, TORTOISE SUPPLY IS A GREAT PLACE TO BUY A TORTOISE" :p

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Tortoise Supply ?

Mgridgaway said:
I swear I see at least one or two of these threads a year. I think we have a sticky a post that just says "YES, TORTOISE SUPPLY IS A GREAT PLACE TO BUY A TORTOISE" :p

Lol!
I am newish here, but have dealt with Tyler before I joined this forum.
I can add to the positive feedback.