Degrees in farenheit vs Celsius?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
TFO as we all know is getting really big, we are worldwide now. (Wow). I get VERY confused between farenheit degrees and celsius degrees and might give strange advice because of it. And y'all know I ain't the only one. Also can't give the best advice between farenheit and celsius (not that I do), so I am making a 'suggestion'. There is a constant group of experienced members giving and receiving advice. Regularly communicating on TFO. So how about...
when using degrees " hot side should be 90 degrees, or 90F. Hot side needs to be 27 celsius or 27c"
I know it sounds awkward, but anybody have better suggestions? Comments? and watch those comments, I ain't as dumb as I look, just sayin

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
OMG! I hate to admit this but...look what I just now read in a comment of Tom's...and yeah, I do actually read his comments...so look...this from him to someone in the UK...

"30C is a fine daytime ambient, but you still need a basking area that is around 37C, and it should cool down to around 21C at night."
thanks Tom, now I just have to learn how celsius translates...

Reactions: Tom

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
TFO as we all know is getting really big, we are worldwide now. (Wow). I get VERY confused between degrees and celsius and might give strange advice because of it. And y'all know I ain't the only one. Also can't give the best advice between degrees and celsius (not that I do), so I am making a 'suggestion'. There is a constant group of experienced members giving and receiving advice. Regularly communicating on TFO. So how about...
when using degrees " hot side should be 90 degrees, or 90d. Hot side needs to be 27 celsius or 27c"
I know it sounds awkward, but anybody have better suggestions? Comments? and watch those comments, I ain't as dumb as I look, just sayin
Both sides of the pond use degrees to measure temperature. The difference is which system (temperature scale) they use by default. I try to include F for Fahrenheit or C for Celsius when mentioning temperatures on here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I always put 'F' after my temperatures : 98.6°F but I really doubt you're going to be able to change the whole Forum 's membership.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! I hate to admit this but...look what I just now read in a comment of Tom's...and yeah, I do actually read his comments...so look...this from him to someone in the UK...

"30C is a fine daytime ambient, but you still need a basking area that is around 37C, and it should cool down to around 21C at night."
thanks Tom, now I just have to learn how celsius translates...
Google will help you with that.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Maggie, I don't know if you use Windows or Android or Apple. For android, there's a bunch of converter apps.
I use this one. It's not free, but some are. This does every conversion imaginable, and then some. I use it constantly.

Whatever platform you use, I think you can find a converter, possibly free.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just figure this is an American forum. Anyone not American would assume if we are talking anywhere from 60 to 100 they would figure its Fahrenheit and they can convert it. I am not one that will convert it. I have before and its too big a hassle, so the one asking can do it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just figure this is an American forum. Anyone not American would assume if we are talking anywhere from 60 to 100 they would figure its Fahrenheit and they can convert it. I am not one that will convert it. I have before and its too big a hassle, so the one asking can do it.
I don't convert when I'm posting, however, when reading posts from the UK I have to convert and I use google.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My laptop has a converter in the tool bar. Makes it pretty easy. After enough years of telling EU and UK members the right temps, you start to remember the numbers.
I agree. I use Google to convert, but have memorised the key numbers these days.

I always use C or F after temperatures as appropriate.

I try to use the right one for the nation I am speaking to. I think it’s polite and those asking questions are usually pretty stressed without getting confused about temperature units on top.

Very often those who leave the unit off are new members who don’t realise the international membership of this forum.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Next....how about getting ppl to put their country of origin in their profile.. Helps a whole lot when providing help.
I agree. If someone says they live in Lancaster, is that the original in the UK or the one i Pennsylvania?

I frequently end up googling the town to give myself a clue!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree. If someone says they live in Lancaster, is that the original in the UK or the one i Pennsylvania?

I frequently end up googling the town to give myself a clue!
Or Lancaster CA where I go hunt with my hawks?

Jon G.

5 Year Member
Gulf Coast, FL
Using an online calculator/converter is the easiest but if you want to do it the old fashion way with a calculator or spreadsheet here are the formulas...Enjoy! :D

To convert from Deg C to Deg F: Deg F = (1.8 x Deg C) + 32

To convert from Deg F to Deg C: Deg C = (Deg F - 32) / 1.8

Example: To convert 30 Deg C, use first formula. So 30 Deg C x 1.8 +32 = 86 Deg F