illegal selling of Star and Radiated

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
(Moderator note: I split these few posts off from a "for sale" thread instead of deleting them because I thought they have value and we all can learn something from them. But remember folks, please don't talk back and forth on the "for sale" threads unless you are asking valid questions about the sale. The mods are now discussing the "for sale" thread and what to do about it. Thanks, Norman, for calling it to our attention.)

My opinion is that illegal activity shouldn't be allowed or encouraged on tortoiseforum. I am sure there are plenty of forums/websites to sell illegally obtained animals, but I don't think tortoiseforum should be one of those online vehicles.

If I were a moderator, I would have deleted this post. It should be one of the rules to not allow forum members to sell/advertise illegal animals in the tortoiseforum classifieds.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
RE: Star and Radiated

gummybear, I inquired about these animals. Can you explain to me why they are illegal? All I know is the guy is selling a star and a radiated. thanks

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
RE: Star and Radiated

Radiated tortoises are a critically endangered species that are federally protected. Most countries require a permit to keep/obtain them. They are also CITIES I animals, which means they aren't allowed to be exported/imported (unless you have proper paperwork which is almost never approved unless you are a zoo or scientific institution).

The seller even stated: "It is not legal to get it here but I manage to get it"

Technically, tortoiseforum is allowing illegal activity....and almost promoting it by leaving this classified up.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Right on, I knew about that first part. I guess I didnt really understand his not legal quote.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry to reply on the classifieds.

In addition, I suppose it is hard to trace the legality of an animal, but there are certain animals that wave a flag......like ploughshares, radiateds, gopher torts, etc.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
while I agree illegal activity should not be allowed on here, my 2 questions are is a crime being committed and would they delete a post on for sale thread if someone was selling CDT's?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thread has been removed. But that's food for thought. My first impression would be that we would advise the seller that desert tortoises can't be sold legally, but that we would leave the thread. But one of our "guidelines" says, "4. Refrain from the discussion of any illegal activity." so maybe it would be removed too.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I think radiated tortoises are legal to posses and sell within the same state without permit. We keep many for a potential future breeding project and have never had any issues.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
I think radiated tortoises are legal to posses and sell within the same state without permit. We keep many for a potential future breeding project and have never had any issues.

That is also my understanding. There is no permit requirement if the seller sells the tort to a legal resident of that state. However the seller would have had to have a permit to obtain the animal in the first place (unless of course they also obtained it within state lines). This is why a lot of the ads say 'for sale to permit holders or legal residents of ...'

Status
Not open for further replies.