spurge?

laciem23

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
My four month old sulcatas LOVE spurge. Whenever we go outside it is the first thing they go for, but I’m very hesitant to feed it to them. I live in south Florida where there is spotted spurge everywhere and was wondering how safe it was to feed. I see on the tortoise table it says toxic, but I saw quite a few credible users on here say it’s okay in moderation. Can anyone clarify?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Typically, anything with a milky sap is not ideal. Euphorbia sap can also be irritating to humans as well as other animals. There are so many other weeds and plants that one can cultivate that don't have possible issues.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Gopher and desert tortoises eat spurge as part of their local diet; that doesn’t mean it’s safe for sulcatas.

I will feed just about anything to my Russian but Euphorbias are one of the few plants I won’t; we’ve got a tropical one that grows in California now that is irritating enough that it’s used to “burn” off minor skin cancers in other countries. :eek: No thanks! We do have spotted spurge that occasionally pops up in the yard; she’s never been interested but I toss it anyway.

I would like to hear what a sulcata owner experienced with feeding this plant has to say. Until then I’d keep it away from little ones.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
The milky sap (latex) of Spurges can cause inflammation of the skin and mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, mouth and digestive tract. The toxic component of the sap is euphorbon, which contains diterpenoids that are highly TOXIC and cause photosensitization, weakness, digestive tract irritation, contact dermatitis, and often death.

Never feed to tortoises and wear protective clothing when handling this plant. Although the flowers are mainly white, they often have a pink tinge.

82D7378C-0470-475B-8338-F101D1F8311A.png

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
I agree.... I didn't know it was in my enclosure and my tort got a little bit. It caused "staggers" in back legs. He is a rescue and had not been outside at all and went for anything green! Keep this away from your sulcata torts. I put big rocks on it to kill it and keep my tort away until I can remove it. It is a pesky weed!

Mandysaur

Austin, Texas
We have it all over our yard and my guy goes straight for it! Isn’t toxic stuff usually not palatable?

AgataP

Seattle, WA
We have it all over our yard and my guy goes straight for it! Isn’t toxic stuff usually not palatable?

Nope! When you tasty it it’s actually not as bad. There are different types. Some are actually little sour and the texture is similar to the cactus - yes I tasted them.

Same with mushrooms right ? People will eat it because they seem to be tasty. They won’t kill you but will cause unpleasant stomach issues. Tortoise can’t tell you when they get cramps

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
Sulcata's are opportunistic eaters; at least mine is.... and he is not in Africa anymore! Lots of stuff they can find outdoors that is not good for them.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Sulcata's are opportunistic eaters; at least mine is.... and he is not in Africa anymore! Lots of stuff they can find outdoors that is not good for them.

I am thinking to actually get in touch with someone in Africa who is taking care of some Sulcatas to get some more information. I think in about two years maybe 3 I should be able to take a trip out there.
I know Sulcatas are “all over” but I really would love to see how exactly they live.

For now we do the best to feed them what is good for them. Spurge is definitely not.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Ps. Herbie just tried to eat a towel and spoon - doesn’t mean I will feed him towels and spoons ?
0207B462-6F63-4611-A777-433BE8CE51B1.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Desert Torts, as in Gopherus Agassizzi from the southern US apparently eat some spurge in the wild, and based on that I guess it is a reccomended plant for outdoor habitats for Desert Torts, specifically, not all tortoises from a desert climate. While I have seen numerous sources online supporting this position, I havent seen anything peer reviewed or research based to support it (the sources were not referenced). If it were me, with all the other options, I wouldnt.