Worried....

Chantel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuba City, CA
Dozer was out sunning and nibbling on grasses. I caught her tasting this and didn't know if it was safe, so I did a search to find out what it was, then checked it with the Tortoise Table website. This is what she ate!!!

http://www.itsnature.org/plant_life/vegetation-plants/spurge/

And it says the sap is highly toxic. I hope just a few nibbles of the leaves do not kill her. This stuff grows rampant in my California lawn! Needless to say I will be out pulling weeds tonight!

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
So far no signs of any irritation. It's her bed time, so she is trying to burrow in her substrate, so I pulled her out, and rinsed her off again, and checked her mucous membranes (eyes & nose). They look good right now.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Monitir for odd behaviour. I would soak a little more, after 2 or 3 days, danger should be over. Hope it does not die? Kind of harsh me thinks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have always read that spurge was fine to feed. We have a variety here that looks a little different than the one in that pic. Can you show us a pic of the one you have there? I could be wrong. Plants are not my strongest point...

@Yvonne G , Can you lend some expertise here? What's the word on spurge and is the California type okay to feed out?

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
It looks a little different in the grassy area which gets more water. We were chasing the sun light (nearing 7pm). It is also cooler today (only a high of 90) So I was on the warm driveway, with a gravel area nearby. The grass was shady. Dozer had to nibble on the weeds. I took pics so I could check it. The surge in the rocks looks more dehydrated, but it has the same shape and color as the lawn spurge. I pulled a bunch tonight, and it does have a milk in the stems, but didn't see any in the leaves.

Attachments

• 1437628048482.jpg
    1437628048482.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 27

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
It has reddish stem, with black spot in center of the leaves. It also looks to be developing flower buds

Attachments

• 1437628564734.jpg
    1437628564734.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1437628590274.jpg
    1437628590274.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 21

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
Wish I had a pic of it in the lawn. It looks pale here, and you can't see the spots or flower buds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
spurge is high in oxalates, however, it is quite common for wild desert tortoises to eat it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Safe then, just high in calcium binders. (whew)

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
Well she had her soak, and her digestion seems normal... still eating and pooping well. So I am happy that she is fine. Just wish the tortoisetable.org didn't scare me to death!