...some of us went to Oregon

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Friday Steven (bouaboua) and his wife, Irene, and I travelled to Oregon to visit Cowboy Ken and Maggie. We really had a lot of fun. Saturday morning Maggie took us to a Farmer's Market that some vendors in Corvallis set up every week-end. There was a booth were the gal and her mom sold fresh, home-baked breads and pastries. Those were some awfully good do-nuts. Lot's of flower and vegetable vendors. Several street performers.

I'm just going to show my pictures in the order I took them. I may occasionally type in a comment. I'll start with the rental car (that's Steven in the red jacket):

Oregon trip 5-18-15 a.jpg

Saturday morning Maggie took us to a week-end Farmer's Market. It's too bad I was flying because I saw lots of plants I would have liked to buy. This is Maggie and Steven and a view of the set- up:

Oregon trip 5-18-15 b.jpg

This picture shows Irene on the left, and the next few are just more Farmer's Market pictures. Prices were pretty darned high...a whole dollar for one zucchini. I don't know how many are in a pound, but the price for them here is $1.29 a pound:

oregon trip 5-18-15 i.jpg
oregon trip 5-18-15 c.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 d.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 e.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 f.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 g.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 h.jpg

After our do-nut we went to a bird rescue and sanctuary. I wasn't real thrilled with the overall set up, but the gal really knew her stuff about the animals she had rescued. The tortoises shown in the tubs and tables also had outdoor pens, however, it was still pretty cold outside.

oregon trip 5-18-15 j.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 k.jpg

Quite a few of the birds were free flying, and there was this one little peach-faced lovebird that wanted to adopt Steven:

oregon trip 5-18-15 l.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 m.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 n.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 q.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 r.jpg
oregon trip 5-18-15 o.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 p.jpg

As we were leaving we saw this cat hunting in the tall grass:

oregon trip 5-18-15 s.jpg

Then we met up with Cowboy Ken and went to a reptile rescue and sanctuary. This is where my camera ran out of space and I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked. There was a large building and when they opened the garage-type door, this HERD of sulcatas came rushing out. There must have been 15 or 20 of them. I hope one of our other group members will post their pictures of the sulcatas. My pictures start with a view from the little wooden bridge we had to cross to get to the reptiles. Such a pretty setting. I'd love to have a creek running through my property:

oregon trip 5-18-15 t.jpg oregon trip 5-18-15 v.jpg

And here's proof that Maggie's alligator is bigger than (was it Keven or Mike, I don't remember):

oregon trip 5-18-15 w.jpg

By this time it was about 2p and we were all very hungry, so we went to a restaurant. We had a few odds and ends to start, then we each ordered a main dish, but we all put ours onto the middle of the table and we all shared. This was such a good idea.

At the end of the evening, Steven told me he had a bigger memory card and he gave it to me. So this is my last picture. Cowboy Steven waving good-bye. We really had a great time!! (that's the other cowboy behind the flowers):

oregon trip 5-18-15 x.jpg

Attachments

• oregon trip 5-18-15 u.jpg
    oregon trip 5-18-15 u.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Fun, fun, fun!!!
How was it getting out from under your bridge? Did Misty freak out when you got home?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was a very nerve-wracking thing for me to do. I am a nervous wreck thinking about my animals the whole time. Misty was beside herself when I got home. I've never seen her be so excited. And the feeling was mutual!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have a pretty good university in Fresno. What are you studying?

Well, I left sunny California on Friday, to arrive in misty, drizzly, overcast and gray Oregon Friday evening. Overcast, drizzly and rainy all day Saturday and still the same when I left Sunday morning. Only to arrive back in "sunny" California to overcast, drizzly, gray skies!! What the heck?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
maggie has a gator?

I'm sure! No, that was a reptile rescue/refuge that we visited. You should see the big alligator snapping turtle they have. But my memory card was full by the time we got to that enclosure. He was huge. I'd say at least 75lbs.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm sure! No, that was a reptile rescue/refuge that we visited. You should see the big alligator snapping turtle they have. But my memory card was full by the time we got to that enclosure. He was huge. I'd say at least 75lbs.
Here are some of the picture of that place Yvonne mentioned.

003 (161).JPG 003 (172).JPG 003 (173).JPG 003 (174).JPG 003 (175).JPG 003 (176).JPG 003 (177).JPG 003 (206).JPG 003 (207).JPG 003 (208).JPG 003 (209).JPG 003 (210).JPG 003 (211).JPG 003 (212).JPG 003 (213).JPG 003 (214).JPG 003 (215).JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was pretty neat the way they did it. Look at the 14th picture down. They took, looks like maybe a 2x6, and notched it to fit over the end of a cinderblock. Then was a stake in the ground through the hole in a cinder block and the block was oriented with the short end at the fence, giving it more length and thus stronger in case of pushing. The plywood pieces were screwed together through what looked like plumber's tape, one end outside and the other end on the inside of the plywood, top, middle and bottom. And occasionally screwed to the 2x6. To move it you just pulled up the stakes, moved the cinder blocks and then two people could walk the fence to a new spot, never actually opening the fence. Because the plumber's tape was outside/inside, it gave it like an accordion type construction, acting like a hinge so you could have any configuration you wanted, not necessarily square.

Last edited: