Soaking question

Seshaw2

I have been trying to soak my (about 10yr old) Russian who I only got about 2 months ago from his previous owner. I have a little rectangle Tupperware that I soak him in. Thing is he seems to hate it and is always trying to get out. He is kept in an 8x4 indoor inclosure but spends some time outside. Humidity inside is between 50-60%. Is his soaking tub too small, too clear? I guess I see pictures of torts just relaxing when they soak and my guy just wants out and moving! Any advice appreciated!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Some torts get used to it quicker than others.
It seems that some always hate it.
It is better to use a high sided opaque container that he can't see out of , this might reduce his struggles.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I find that if the soak tub is too small, just fits them, they fight it more. I noticed this with my hatchling. She always liked her soaks. Now that she has no room to move, she doesn't like them. I put her in a bigger soak bowl and she's back to liking them

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You might also play with the water temp a bit to see if warmer or cooler is better. The exercise during soaks is good for them though, so I don't worry about it at all when one protests.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I also find soaks are more likely to be successful first thing in the water before the tort has warmed up properly.

Do it when your tort is warmed up and fully active and there is lots of scrabbling.

Do it in warm water with a tort that hasn't basked for long, or at all, and the tort is more likely to relax and enjoy the warmth of the water.