Soaking - How much is too much?

Loganius

Hey everybody, I just recently purchased my first Russian tortoise! I've only had him for four days, but he seems to be adjusting well (he's eating from my hand, drinking, and already urated and pooped healthily once). Of the four days I've owned him, I've soaked him three of the days. He seemed to enjoy it, taking drinks and closing his eyes as if he were relaxing. I just wanted to make sure my little guy was properly hydrated. My question is: can you soak a Russian tortoise too often? Is once a day too much soaking? I just want to ensure my tortoise is healthy and hydrated, but I don't want to go overboard if it will be a detriment to his health. Thanks in advance.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I wish we had a pic cause if it's a baby you could do it 2-3 times a day if it's a adult 1-2 times a day but once a day for adult is ok . Good luck with your new child ( tort )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Once a week is okay for an adult. However, if you got him from a pet store, I would soak him daily for a week or two and then cut back to 2-3 times a week. You could do it daily and it should be fine too. A baby, should be soaked at least once daily.
If it's and adult and you notice him drinking and self soaking at all, you could even cut back on the soakings too.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The only real negative would be if soaking was causing stress. I soak my adult Russians once a week for 30 to 40 minutes. Daily soaks will not hurt anything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well there has to be some limit of being in water that would eventually do harm, but for all practical purposes, soaking daily won't hurt anything.

If you soak a tortoise that is already well hydrated and doesn't need to be soaked, it hurts nothing.

Loganius

Here are a few (bad) photos of my little guy! While we're on the subject, is he looking healthy? In my opinion he looks good, but I'd love to hear what you guys think. Thank you for all the advice so far!

Attachments

• Wedding2 (1 of 1).jpg
    Wedding2 (1 of 1).jpg
    393 KB · Views: 51
  • Wedding2 (1 of 1).jpg
    Wedding2 (1 of 1).jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Wedding2 (1 of 1).jpg
    Wedding2 (1 of 1).jpg
    329 KB · Views: 46

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
To throw my two cents in, they're all different-some take soaks well, some don't. Some need them more than others as they either won't drink or worse-won't poop at times without them. I try twice a week now for 10 or 15 minutes (20 probably ideal if they don't get antsy.) My female takes soaks well in any form (of soak container) but my male, more often than not will soon freak if he thinks he's confined. For him, if there are no other issues needing longer soaks (constipation, etc.) I use the largest of ZooMed ReptiBowls because heknows he can see out of it and eventually climb out of it himself so he relaxed-ly sits in it for a while, intermittently drinks, poops and calmly leaves it when done. If I feel he wasn't in long enough, I may put him back in it a while later but the bottom line is, no more stress or trauma. Those things are the best things ZooMed makes, where' his care based on his personality is concerned at least.
Nice looking tort, by the way!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To throw my two cents in, they're all different-some take soaks well, some don't. Some need them more than others as they either won't drink or worse-won't poop at times without them. I try twice a week now for 10 or 15 minutes (20 probably ideal if they don't get antsy.) My female takes soaks well in any form (of soak container) but my male, more often than not will soon freak if he thinks he's confined. For him, if there are no other issues needing longer soaks (constipation, etc.) I use the largest of ZooMed ReptiBowls because heknows he can see out of it and eventually climb out of it himself so he relaxed-ly sits in it for a while, intermittently drinks, poops and calmly leaves it when done. If I feel he wasn't in long enough, I may put him back in it a while later but the bottom line is, no more stress or trauma. Those things are the best things ZooMed makes, where' his care based on his personality is concerned at least.
Nice looking tort, by the way!

Those bowls are great for snakes and lizards, but they are literally death traps for tortoises. Last year a member came home to find her russian upside down and drowned in one. Another member found her russian upside down in there, but the water was shallow enough for the tortoise to not drown.

I highly recommend you switch to something else.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Those bowls are great for snakes and lizards, but they are literally death traps for tortoises. Last year a member came home to find her russian upside down and drowned in one. Another member found her russian upside down in there, but the water was shallow enough for the tortoise to not drown.

I highly recommend you switch to something else.
Thanks for the heads up. I never let him or her in it unless I'm "hiding" on my back porch (smoking...), watching thru the window by the way, but now I know not to get too independent. (This procedure is done on a large dining room table w/pads, by the way. The item is not left as a rule in any of their indoor or outdoor enclosures.) What I haven't liked about the ReptiBowl is the high step down-if one doesn't put a secure slight raise of some kind at the foot of the "exit", they could technically plop and hurt their necks/jaws.

Loganius

Currently for his soaks I bring in a large water bowl for reptiles that is styled to look like a rock. It's not normally in his enclosure, but I am trying to keep him in there as much as possible while he is still getting adjusted to the new environment. He can see out of this bowl, and once he gets anxious (today was the first time he did during a soak) I take him and the bowl out. I have been drying him off because I read that Russians are particularly sensitive to water on/in their shell and skin. I would love it if someone could confirm or deny this. If I don't have to dry him off, I think it would cause him less stress, since I am still partially strange to him. After the soak he almost always goes to his basking spot for a while. This is generally when I bring his food out. I've been hand feeding him to get him used to me. He has two terra cotta saucers in his enclosure, one for food, and one for water. I've observed him getting in his water dish. It seemed intentional and the terra cotta saucer is perfect for him to climb in and out of.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Currently for his soaks I bring in a large water bowl for reptiles that is styled to look like a rock. It's not normally in his enclosure, but I am trying to keep him in there as much as possible while he is still getting adjusted to the new environment. He can see out of this bowl, and once he gets anxious (today was the first time he did during a soak) I take him and the bowl out. I have been drying him off because I read that Russians are particularly sensitive to water on/in their shell and skin. I would love it if someone could confirm or deny this. If I don't have to dry him off, I think it would cause him less stress, since I am still partially strange to him. After the soak he almost always goes to his basking spot for a while. This is generally when I bring his food out. I've been hand feeding him to get him used to me. He has two terra cotta saucers in his enclosure, one for food, and one for water. I've observed him getting in his water dish. It seemed intentional and the terra cotta saucer is perfect for him to climb in and out of.
Great. I've noticed my two get more "worked up" from a white clump of paper towels about to dry them underneath than from the water! This is another reason I let them walk around on something that will absorb water and air dry for a bit. A lot of the unorthodox things I sometimes have to do may not be ideal but it's either that or I see trauma which results in lack of basking, lack of eating, etc. Sometimes I have to give a little in perfection to get a lot in good care results. It's a learning experience and eventually I get good results.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have not heard that Russians are overly sensitive to water on their skin or shell. My adult Russian actually likes being sprayed with either the garden hose in the summer or a spraybottle in doors. She likes her little shower. I've had her for three years and only saw herself soak twice, both times outdoors. I soak 1 to 3 times a week.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
I have not heard that Russians are overly sensitive to water on their skin or shell. My adult Russian actually likes being sprayed with either the garden hose in the summer or a spraybottle in doors. She likes her little shower. I've had her for three years and only saw herself soak twice, both times outdoors. I soak 1 to 3 times a week.
My male does NOT (!!!) like even a gentle "shower" but it could be just being held over an "unfamiliar" sink that's the probem-I only feel the need to do this about once every 3 months and I try to be oh so quick (a second) when water goes toward their head. Female in general is more laxe w/water than my male.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My male does NOT (!!!) like even a gentle "shower" but it could be just being held over an "unfamiliar" sink that's the probem-I only feel the need to do this about once every 3 months and I try to be oh so quick (a second) when water goes toward their head. Female in general is more laxe w/water than my male.
My tortoise wouldn't like that either. Try using a spray bottle when he is in his enclosure just hanging out. Especially under the basking lamp.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
My tortoise wouldn't like that either. Try using a spray bottle when he is in his enclosure just hanging out. Especially under the basking lamp.
OK, will try. Only time I feel need though to use the "shower" is if they got into too much dry dirt outside or suddenly something caused substrate dust inside.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yeah, the substrate should not be dusty at all. Not soggy just slightly damp. I hosed enclosure down at least once a day during the summer because it can get very dry and dusty very quickly. The tortoise doesn't mind being dirty and dusty. They're fine with it.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Yeah, the substrate should not be dusty at all. Not soggy just slightly damp. I hosed enclosure down at least once a day during the summer because it can get very dry and dusty very quickly. The tortoise doesn't mind being dirty and dusty. They're fine with it.
But once eyes seemed to be affected-lots of blinking for a day-immediately after the shower, it stopped forever.