The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Jd3 said:
It is called being Internet creepy....

I like to call it google-fu.

I have seen those with a talent for this... I am not one of them.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Snake kills children ?! D:

Jd3 said:
mike taylor said:
I don't believe this for one minute. A snake that big could have eaten one of them . Something is going on here. If my roof fell in the night I would be up in a second with shot gun in hand to see what made the noise. Sure pythons have killed children before but not two at a time . I fell so bad for the mother and the boys. I have been keeping snakes for well over 20 years and have never had one get out . Some one needs to be held responsible for this . Big snakes bigger locks stronger cage . I hate reading about these things that should've been and could've been avoided.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Like I said, obviously the snake wasn't housed properly. But it killing two small children is totally plausible. I never said someone shouldn't be held responsible.

I was just making a statement not pin pointing any one post . Sorry for the confusion . This kind of thing should never happen . If we as reptile keepers aren't held responsible when these kind of things happen then there going to keep happening . I my self take keeping snakes seriously. I have just one snake that can kill a person. Its a big red tail and she is under lock and key. I've had big Burmese pythons and they can get a little hard to handle. So in the USA you have to have permits for the bigger snakes . Is there not rules for keeping a Rock pythons in Canada? I don't know I was asking. Why is there a residents above a pet store that has big snakes with out the proper caging is what I'm getting at . I know for keeping dangerous animals in Texas that can't be kept in One hundred feet of a residents. I know things can go wrong . But somethings can be avoided. These kind of things should NEVER HAPPEN IT GIVES THE REPTILE COMMUNITY A BLACK EYE . Like I said sorry for the confusion.
Things like this is so sad . I don't take little kids getting heart well. I will be praying for the family. I don't want to upset anyone if I have I'm sorry I know this kind of thing makes all of us upset . Why the kids why not the keeper ????

Jd3

5 Year Member
In one of the three links I posted it talks about a fewparts. 1) the animal did not have a permit currently. 2) in the past this store had been classified as a "zoo". Thus allowed. 3) the animal may have been given to the keeper by some sort of wildlife official 10 years ago. The details aren't apparent.

Also, in this province it appears to be classified as a zoo you just have to fill out the paperwork and call yourself a zoo...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Snake kills children ?! D:

Jd3 said:
In one of the three links I posted it talks about a fewparts. 1) the animal did not have a permit currently. 2) in the past this store had been classified as a "zoo". Thus allowed. 3) the animal may have been given to the keeper by some sort of wildlife official 10 years ago. The details aren't apparent.

Also, in this province it appears to be classified as a zoo you just have to fill out the paperwork and call yourself a zoo...

Ok, is there not officials checking proper house keeping / caging ?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Tom said:
Jd3 said:
It is called being Internet creepy....

I like to call it google-fu.

I have seen those with a talent for this... I am not one of them.

Google News is probably the easiest way of finding multiple stories about the same event.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
All of my friends and family knows I have bred snakes all of my life, so of course they all called me. I also said the story seems false for many reasons already mentioned. Never once has any of my snakes killed and not eaten(and I had over 250 at one time).
I don't want to beat a dead horse but I think this story stinks too!

Jd3

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
Jd3 said:

Ok, is there not officials checking proper house keeping / caging ?

Have you ever been to a wildlife park or crappy zoo in the us? I have. And those are the inspected ones...

Standards are terrible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Will be interesting to see if true or not. Either way, the snake owner is going to pay one way or another, even if its a totally false story.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I had a lot of questions, and still do. But thanks, JD, for posting so much of 'the rest of the story.'
Ann

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TortForum mobile app

Jd3

5 Year Member
I think at this point there is enough info to indicate this isn't made up. Someone is at fault. But I'm pretty sure it has been concluded that the snake killed these kids.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep,if it's false or true it makes no difference. It's the same outcome. Two children gone . So sad .

fitz12

5 Year Member
Every time a tragedy like this happens or any exotic animal issue comes up, the media tries to get the "best" story they can and it becomes a bigger mess than it needs to be

Jd3

5 Year Member
fitz12 said:
Every time a tragedy like this happens or any exotic animal issue comes up, the media tries to get the "best" story they can and it becomes a bigger mess than it needs to be

In fairness 2 little kids did get killed by a 100 lb snake in a living room. There is some cause for uproar here. The snake is not on the "permitted" list so it shouldn't have been there.

The real thing here is to make this about THIS case and not an attack on every reptile keeper. No one is calling for any changes right now(they already did that there...).

It seems in this case people want to jump to say it isn't true simply because they don't want to make reptile keepers look bad. We all know how bd many keepers can be. Look at sullys. How many people house them properly? How many people house RES properly?

How many people house goldfish properly?

Now lets speculate how many people house rock pythons properly?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
wellington said:
Will be interesting to see if true or not. Either way, the snake owner is going to pay one way or another, even if its a totally false story.

It already has. It was euthanized shortly after the incident. Allegedly a necropsy is to be done, but not sure what that will prove.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had heard that the African rock python is a pretty aggressive snake. I think the main reason we don't want to accept this story as true is because the snake killed for the sake of killing, not to eat the prey. But this is an aggressive species. I can see an aggressive snake killing for a different reason besides food, can't you?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Yvonne G said:
I had heard that the African rock python is a pretty aggressive snake. I think the main reason we don't want to accept this story as true is because the snake killed for the sake of killing, not to eat the prey. But this is an aggressive species. I can see an aggressive snake killing for a different reason besides food, can't you?

Perhaps it was scared or it did try to eat them, but was interrupted?

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] @ YWG
Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is the species aggressive or defensive when "attacked"? Do they seek out trouble, or do they react aggressively when "trouble" finds them?

Biting would be a defensive, or even aggressive tactic. Coiling up and suffocating a live animal would only happen for prey. Coiling around a perceived attacker would not be a wise survival strategy for a snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.