Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
Sorry if this is redundant. I don't own any snakes, but I am so disturbed by the news from Canada, of the big snake escaping a pet store and killing two children in the building.
I can't imagine being the parents or the snake owner! :'(

Ann from CT

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what kind of snake? Id find it odd that it strangled two good size kids.. and didn't try to consume what it killed...
tragic regardless....

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I have pythons and just adore them!... Seems to me the snake wasnt being fed correctly (or housed correctly).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not buying one word of this until more ACCURATE details come out.

Is this physically possible? Yes. But it is also highly improbable for so many reasons.

Vent shafts have screwed in metal grates on both ends. What did one kid do while his brother was being strangled? Sit, watch and wait his turn? Snakes don't kill what they don't wanna eat, so why kill one, NOT attempt to eat him, and just let go to kill the other? Something is fishy here.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Tom said:
I'm not buying one word of this until more ACCURATE details come out.

Is this physically possible? Yes. But it is also highly improbable for so many reasons.

Vent shafts have screwed in metal grates on both ends. What did one kid do while his brother was being strangled? Sit, watch and wait his turn? Snakes don't kill what they don't wanna eat, so why kill one, NOT attempt to eat him, and just let go to kill the other? Something is fishy here.

I don't buy it, either. The snake fell thru the ceiling tiles, apparently, and possibly on the 2 kids sleeping on the couch. But, no one, including the other kids--snake's owners kids--heard anything. Fishy!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] (YWG)
Hermann's [TURTLE]s: Darwin & Wallace
Aussie [DOG FACE]s: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

Jd3

5 Year Member
Wow. You guys seem to glance over.

Nothing says the snake fell down. It says it came through a ventilation duct. If a person keeps a snake in a way that allows it to escape what makes you think their ventilation system is perfect. A commercial shop and an apartment sharing ventilation? Obviously this wasn't the ritz.

The people I've heard discuss it say the most likely scenario is the snake went across them and they began moving and it constricted. The other scenario is that of how a snake holds on to balance.

Snakes of this size are fully capable of killing two prey items at one time. We also don't know if it had tried to ingest one or hasn't gotten that far. It was whole they were sleeping.

An underfed snake of this size could have seen small children as prey. Crazier things have happened.

It is obvious the snake wasn't house properly. That isn't rocket science. It ended up in a different room...

I bet you'd crap your pants to learn the things that happen when you sleep.

I recently had to awaken an elderly couple to evacuate after a van smashed through their living room, bathroom and into their kitchen. With enough force to knock the house off the foundation and kill the driver.

The couple had no idea what happened.

Very often after crashes neighbors come out after they they see the lights. Not even noticing the sirens or boom.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't believe this for one minute. A snake that big could have eaten one of them . Something is going on here. If my roof fell in the night I would be up in a second with shot gun in hand to see what made the noise. Sure pythons have killed children before but not two at a time . I fell so bad for the mother and the boys. I have been keeping snakes for well over 20 years and have never had one get out . Some one needs to be held responsible for this . Big snakes bigger locks stronger cage . I hate reading about these things that should've been and could've been avoided.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I'm with Tom. I've been following this as well. Snake allegedly fell through from air ducts and caused a hole in the ceiling, killed two kids without making a sound, and never wakes the third child there? I'm awaiting the autopsy results.

News media can't get the species right, nor can they can report the accurate location of the pet store, or whether or not the kids had bite marks. The only thing we know for certain is that a huge snake escaped its enclosure from somewhere else, and the next morning, it was found in the same room (but not close to) with two dead children, with a third child who survived the whole thing. Unlike all the snake-haters of the world, I'm remaining objective, logical and await the completion of the investigation before jumping to conclusions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
JD:

The one article I read said the snake (african rock python) escaped into the ceiling duct then went up above the second story apartment and the ceiling collapsed under the weight of the snake.

I'm with Tom on this one. I don't believe it either.

Jd3

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
I don't believe this for one minute. A snake that big could have eaten one of them . Something is going on here. If my roof fell in the night I would be up in a second with shot gun in hand to see what made the noise. Sure pythons have killed children before but not two at a time . I fell so bad for the mother and the boys. I have been keeping snakes for well over 20 years and have never had one get out . Some one needs to be held responsible for this . Big snakes bigger locks stronger cage . I hate reading about these things that should've been and could've been avoided.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Like I said, obviously the snake wasn't housed properly. But it killing two small children is totally plausible. I never said someone shouldn't be held responsible.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sorry to say that the media's track record for accurate reporting is DISMAL on a good day. Rather than argue about something based only on what the media has thus far reported, lets wait for some actual facts to surface. Like the aforementioned autopsy report, for example.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
There is still no evidence given that the snake had any contact with the children. The prelim autopsy says they died of asphyxiation. If a large snake constricted and/or tried to swallow them, there would bite marks & likely blood, saliva, severe bruising and internal hemorraging. No reports of these things. I'm trying my darndest to remain objective, but something still doesn't sit right with this.

Jd3

5 Year Member
http://globalnews.ca/news/764130/py...-enclosure-near-where-they-slept-friend-says/

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/06/pet-store-owner-in-shock-python-kills-two-kids-in-new-brunswick

Other decent reads.

StudentoftheReptile said:
There is still no evidence given that the snake had any contact with the children. The prelim autopsy says they died of asphyxiation. If a large snake constricted and/or tried to swallow them, there would bite marks & likely blood, saliva, severe bruising and internal hemorraging. No reports of these things. I'm trying my darndest to remain objective, but something still doesn't sit right with this.

Ummm..... There was also no mention that this WASN'T present.... I think you've made assumptions from something not possible. Don't you think perhaps the investigators have taken this into account in their investigation? No?

Don't you think if none of this was present then the police would be focusing on something other than the 100 lb snake who coincidently was by/on/near/wrapped around the dead kids?

They had been at a petting zoo all evening and smelled of prey animals, to boot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh JD. Knock it off. Take your own advice and chill out. :)

All we are saying is lets not believe the media reports hook line and sinker. That is nearly always a mistake. This tragedy is horribly sad, but still highly unlikely to have occurred the way it is being reported.

Jd3

5 Year Member
Here is the kids who died playing inside the snakes enclosure. ImageUploadedByTortForum1375922311.387674.jpg

Actually everyone says they don't believe it. There isn't nearly enough information to say that this isn't plausible.

The information out there indicates this snake has escaped before. It was housed in the same room the kids slept. Everyone else was In a different room.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jd, you are a better source of info than the media. Thanks for filling in some of the blanks. Please keep the info coming as you seem to have good research skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.