Skunk!! Do they bother turtles & tortoises??

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Terry, and Mike- y'all are grossing me out!!!! Yeah, yeah- I know: I don't need to follow this thread if I think it's too gross...unfortunately, y'all are funny as all get out, too!!! :p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Moozillion said:
Terry, and Mike- y'all are grossing me out!!!! Yeah, yeah- I know: I don't need to follow this thread if I think it's too gross...unfortunately, y'all are funny as all get out, too!!! :p

Gross? You find the idea of eating fresh, non-steroid-enhanced "exotic" meat to be gross? :rolleyes:

We'll out live the rest of y'all! :p

This morning, around 8:45, I stopped 3 big "hawgs" from destroying a little old Granny-lady's garden, where she grows a lot of fresh veggies...and now she has about 100# of lean pork to go along with them...as do I, and the local food bank accepted the biggest one, which offered up about 250#, dressed out, which will help some of the less fortunate have protein in their diets this winter.

Ridding the area of large destructive feral hawgs + helping out a good neighbor get by on her SS + helping out our foodbankd + putting more fresh, non-steroid-enhanced "exotic" meat into my freezer = lots of "win". :cool:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Yeah, you right!!! Shooting and eating wild hog doesn't bother me in the least- I love pork. But I've been told that raccoon has a really strong taste- that the way to cook it is to boil it in A LOT of garlic until it's tender, then fry it. Any meat that has to be boiled in lots of garlic before it's edible seems gross to me.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Moozillion said:
Yeah, you right!!! Shooting and eating wild hog doesn't bother me in the least- I love pork. But I've been told that raccoon has a really strong taste- that the way to cook it is to boil it in A LOT of garlic until it's tender, then fry it. Any meat that has to be boiled in lots of garlic before it's edible seems gross to me.

The garlic is only used if the raccoon is a vampyre...around here, they're mostly Hard Rock Baptists and therefore we bar-b-q them after their immersion... ;)

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Gone from worried, to laughing, to Mad as heck! Evidentally, the skunk is still somewhere nearby. This morning I found hardware wire moved from the top of the water table where I sun my hatchlings (they don't live in there, just spend a few hours during the warm afternoon sun), the towel that drapes an aquarium full of crickets was moved and the shade screen that is woven the a rod iron fence with chicken wire used as a lid over the box turtle enclosure was pulled back. Something is trying to get into that pen (luckily didn't succeed). The hunt is on, I'm determined to get that stinker tonight! I'm FURIOUS!!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hot line set 3" above the perimeter of you enclosure will do the trick. For the horses, I use flagged wire, for the tortoise pens I use the tape type. The hot line being so low to the ground, I feel it's only right to make it very visual for my cats.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
What about live animal traps? Are they legal in your state? They are certainly an option for anyone looking to relocate small critters such as racoons and opossums. Skunks might be a little trickier to remove, but I'd figure a chemical proof suit and gas mask would probably minimize the risk of suffering the effects of a solid skunking.

T.G.