Tort may have eaten fake plant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazMoore

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I've had my Russian Tortoise for about 9 months now and she has had fake ivy hanging at the top of her enclosure for nearly 2 months. This past Sunday I decided to feed her a little later than usual and I walked in to see her swimming in her ivy. That little sneak pulled it all down. I'm not sure if she ate any of it but I've been keeping an eye on her to see if she has been acting strange. She's still eating like a pig and pooping pretty regularly. I have her potty trained to do her business over the toilet every night after a nice soak. She didn't poop tonight though and her butt kinda smells like skunk. I'm not sure if this is normal or a sign that she might have eaten the plastic and cloth plant and it is having trouble passing it. I just want to be really sure before I take her to the vet because money is very tight for me right now (although if it is an emergency I wouldn't hesitate to bring her in.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Love Jaz and Cheeseburger the Tortoise

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
If she ate any of it, it should pass, you should see some of the stories on here of what tortoises have eaten and then passed. As for the smell I can't comment since I don't really smell my russiams behinds. I would not worry yet just keep an eye out on her, does the plant look like it was eaten? pieces missing or looks like bite have been taken out of it?

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
That's why I only put live plants in my enclosure. For that reason and also they love e(ing the live plants as a snack. They also help with humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi JazMoore:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

You probably have nothing to worry about with the plant.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Keep up the daily soaks. If you really think some was eaten, I'd do longer soaks and makes sure the water stays warm. You can also feed some aloe or fresh pumpkin to help it pass.

JazMoore

5 Year Member
My name is Jaz Moore and my Russian Tortoise is named Cheeseburger. We are Partner's in Crime. Here is a picture of her (although I think CB is really a boy.)
We live in Upstate NY.cbny.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.