Skunk!! Do they bother turtles & tortoises??

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't drink the beers but I do love me some sweet ice tea . It will make you pee !! He he ha ha ha !!?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
mike taylor said:
I don't drink the beers but I do love me some sweet ice tea . It will make you pee !! He he ha ha ha !!?

You can sit at my table then! Lol.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
AZtortMom said:
Cowboy_Ken said:
Concerning skunks preying on eggs and young torts/turtles, yes they will happily enjoy the easy meal. They also, like any small opportunistic predator, chew on exposed tortoise body parts, legs, tail, you get the picture.
Maybe not popular, but my job is to protect my critters, regardless if it's Ava my dog from cougars, or my house cats from bob cats. My tortoises protection I take very seriously. I have a hot line set about 3-4" above the containment walls to discourage possums, skunks, raccoons from preying on my slumbering tortoises. Last year, though, when Ava developed an unhealthy relationship with a skunk, when, in the middle of the day the skunk was out, actively open mouth lunging at her, I felt compelled to shoot the skunk. It was clean and no suffering.

I realize this is not always an option for people, but at least try the hot line. Keep it low. The idea with a hot line is, if it hits below the eyes,( snout) the animal backs up. If it hits above the eyes,(towards ears) it lunges forward.

I agree with Ken on this even though it's illegal to discharge firearms in the city. They are on my property...end of story. But I am glad also that you found a solution that worked for you [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

One of my "city slicker" friends uses one of these for nuisance skunks, 'coons and 'possums...quiet enough to not to attact police attention:

WR1205.6336_InvaderHP_Premium.jpg

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Moozillion said:
YAYYYY TigsMom!!!! Your torts are VERY lucky to have you for a mom!!!

Cowboy_Ken and Mike Taylor: (roll eyes). What IS IT with guys and peeing outdoors??? My brother in law has a friend and 2 young sons who prefer to only pee outside. If the friend or either boy wakes up during the night needing to pee, they'll walk down the hall PAST 2 PERFECTLY GOOD BATHROOMS to go pee off the back porch! Better hope there aren't many mosquitoes out!!! :D

Ma'am, it's a Dude Thing...don't try to understand... ;)

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I just picked up my 4 year old Grandson from Pre-school. I warned him about the skunk out back (didn't want him to chase or try and pet it if he see's it). lol He's hiding all his outdoor toys and shoes because he doesn't want the skunk to stink it up. Genius! All his outdoor toys are picked up and put away.

I got a call from our Solar installers, our panels will be here in just a couple of days and then construction will begin in another week or so. Maybe the construction crew will run the skunk away, if we haven't gotten rid of it by then. Whoohoo! Goodbye over $300.00 electric bills. Should I place signs and/or targets in the areas I think need some deterrent watering?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Bullseye targets with bells are always a good idea. That and a, “you must be this tall" sign.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Terry Allan Hall said:
AZtortMom said:
Cowboy_Ken said:
Concerning skunks preying on eggs and young torts/turtles, yes they will happily enjoy the easy meal. They also, like any small opportunistic predator, chew on exposed tortoise body parts, legs, tail, you get the picture.
Maybe not popular, but my job is to protect my critters, regardless if it's Ava my dog from cougars, or my house cats from bob cats. My tortoises protection I take very seriously. I have a hot line set about 3-4" above the containment walls to discourage possums, skunks, raccoons from preying on my slumbering tortoises. Last year, though, when Ava developed an unhealthy relationship with a skunk, when, in the middle of the day the skunk was out, actively open mouth lunging at her, I felt compelled to shoot the skunk. It was clean and no suffering.

I realize this is not always an option for people, but at least try the hot line. Keep it low. The idea with a hot line is, if it hits below the eyes,( snout) the animal backs up. If it hits above the eyes,(towards ears) it lunges forward.

I agree with Ken on this even though it's illegal to discharge firearms in the city. They are on my property...end of story. But I am glad also that you found a solution that worked for you [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

One of my "city slicker" friends uses one of these for nuisance skunks, 'coons and 'possums...quiet enough to not to attact police attention:

WR1205.6336_InvaderHP_Premium.jpg

Very nice. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] I like. Very nice option

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I'll have my Son bring his equipment, that Skunk will be so sorry he chose my yard. Did I mention my Son is in the Marine Corps (11 yrs w/6 combat tours), and an avid hunter. If our Skunk Party doesn't work, I can always call in the Marines most of them know how to drink beer.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Great trouble-shooting group here!!!! ...and HILARIOUS!!!:D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
TigsMom said:
I'll have my Son bring his equipment, that Skunk will be so sorry he chose my yard. Did I mention my Son is in the Marine Corps (11 yrs w/6 combat tours), and an avid hunter. If our Skunk Party doesn't work, I can always call in the Marines most of them know how to drink beer.

Thank your boy for me for his service, and thank you for being a Marines Mom, (and taking on the stress)!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Moozillion said:
Great trouble-shooting group here!!!! ...and HILARIOUS!!!:D

Big smile :D

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
My honor and pleasure Ken, Thank you! Grey hairs, ulcer, this Marine Mom keeps on keeping on, and I couldn't be any prouder of our Son. Here's a pic from his last homecoming, the city put on an INCREDIBLE Welcome Home for him.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Skunk!! Do they bother turtles & tortoises??

Cowboy_Ken said:
TigsMom said:

Thank your boy for me for his service, and thank you for being a Marines Mom, (and taking on the stress)!

Yes thank your son for all of us . We could not be doing what we do everyday if they did not do what they do .

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thank you Mike. I will Thank him again for everyone.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Skunk!! Do they bother turtles & tortoises??

Yes thank your son for all of us . We could not be doing what we do everyday if they did not do what they do .

Yes thank you. This is true.

Now, onto the pee. I totally let my 3 and 4 yr old sons pee in the backyard when I'm out there doing yard work. We were still having opossum come around regularly. Maybe they don't pee enough? Lol

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
LOUD 50's Cruisin' Music may have done the trick. I cranked up the volume of Cruisin Music in Hubby's Garage for a few hours yesterday as I worked on the turtle and tortoise pens yesterday. Hubby also worked on cleaning and organizing in the garage from about 3-7pm. The security lights never triggered last night, so the stinker may have relocated himself. If he's still around he's laying low and odds are the construction/installation of our Solar System over the next few weeks might convince the Stinker that we aren't the best choice to set up his home. Our Daughter had a good idea too, "run our quads around". Basically, make some noise. Time will tell. Hopefully, he's moved on.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
mike taylor said:
I have chickens,snakes ,tortoises,and birds in enclosures in the back yard . All I do is clean up after the animals and never leave food out over night . But I have a trick an old man told me to keep coons and other smaller animals out . You ready it's your pee yup! Your pee . Have your kids if you have boys pee in the yard by your enclosures and the smaller animals will not come around . I know its gross but it works I have yet to have a chicken taken by any animal but me . Every predator loves chicken . Like you said if you put animal pee it will bring in other animals. Your pee is the key . Ha ha ha .

I collected my urine and also urinated out in the area where my chicken house is, when I had a coon issue. My urine atleast did not do the trick.

(this was out in the country and the chicken house is backed up by a cornfield and there are no folks living in any of the close houses)