Skunk!! Do they bother turtles & tortoises??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Maybe the pee thing only works with mature (in age only...) adult males with a hint of gun powder residue... :)

Personally, I'm digging the crossbow. Anyone here have much experience with that? Who makes a good one? How accurate? Range?

And Tig'sMom, my thanks to you and your son too!

BTW, you will love your solar system. It is so fun watching that meter spin backwards! Two things I learned about the process.
1. GO BIG! Put up way more panels than they say you need. Way more.
2. Use a panel optimizer system. They make a huge difference. I use the Tigo system.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
This may be one of my all time favorite threads...HAHAHAHAHAAAAA :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ann's post reminded me of something that does sometimes work. They have motion detectors that you can hook up to a hose with a sprinkler. Any thing that moves gets drenched. This kept raccoons out of a friends fish pond.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Skunk!! Do they bother turtles & tortoises??

Tom said:
Maybe the pee thing only works with mature (in age only...) adult males with a hint of gun powder residue... :)

Personally, I'm digging the crossbow. Anyone here have much experience with that? Who makes a good one? How accurate? Range?

That must be it Tom. The gun powder smell mixed with middle aged man pee . :D But the cross bow believe it or not Walmart sells a nice one for 350.00$ not a bad price . If that is all you are going to do with it . But they can go up in price to 1000.00 $ . They are just like a gun point and shoot but only good for 40/50 yards with a lot of practice. I would go with a cheep 22 with rat shot . Sounds like a bb gun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use the CB longs. Whisper quiet out of a long barrel. Not as accurate as I'd like, but good enough for yard work.

The crossbow is more of a novelty for fun than a necessity. I've always wanted one, but never taken the time to research it. Thanks for the tips.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
We make fun of the older guys at the deer camp for using them . I have a Matthews bow . It was 600.00 plus . But i only use it for hunting. I also use cb longs for my 22 with a nnight vision scope . So no little rat is safe.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Houses are pretty close here, heck my neighbor can hear my screen (on the sliding glass door) open. I know because he runs out to chat almost everytime I go out. LOL Nice guy, but wow! Hubby says he thinks our neighbor can smell me. He'd probably hear even the quietest of guns, although he has a big ol' Desert Tortoise too (thinking his Desert Tortoise is 50 yrs old or older, and he's huge and heavy) and probably be happy to hear I got rid of a skunk. LOL, come to think of it, I should tell him about the skunk, he may get it himself.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

TigsMom said:
Houses are pretty close here, heck my neighbor can hear my screen (on the sliding glass door) open. I know because he runs out to chat almost everytime I go out. LOL Nice guy, but wow! Hubby says he thinks our neighbor can smell me. He'd probably hear even the quietest of guns, although he has a big ol' Desert Tortoise too (thinking his Desert Tortoise is 50 yrs old or older, and he's huge and heavy) and probably be happy to hear I got rid of a skunk. LOL, come to think of it, I should tell him about the skunk, he may get it himself.

Yeah ,that neighbor sounds a little creepy. I would not be peeing in the backyard with him around . :D:D:D If the houses are close the rat shot in a 22 it the same as a bb gun but little bbs all at once . By by skunk and no harm to your neighbor stalker. :D:D:D

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Cowboy_Ken said:
TMI TMI Running away........

LOL! Love this thread! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I think I have to have 1 or 2 of these: https://www.soundsentryxl.com/motion-alarm/

Basically, a recordable message played when the motion detector is triggered and completely portable.

If they don't work for scaring off the pests, the grandkids will have fun with them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
TigsMom said:
I think I have to have 1 or 2 of these: https://www.soundsentryxl.com/motion-alarm/

Basically, a recordable message played when the motion detector is triggered and completely portable.

If they don't work for scaring off the pests, the grandkids will have fun with them.

:D Those could be fun!

Tom said:
Ann's post reminded me of something that does sometimes work. They have motion detectors that you can hook up to a hose with a sprinkler. Any thing that moves gets drenched. This kept raccoons out of a friends fish pond.

We had one of those at the greenhouse I worked at for the deer problem we had. It worked well, but only scared them from the area the water would actually reach. The noise part seemed to not work on them. Of course, the part I like was I would turn it on at night when I left and when the morning person walked in, they would forget about it... until they set it off and the water would get them. Seems you wake up real quick then. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jacqui said:
Of course, the part I like was I would turn it on at night when I left and when the morning person walked in, they would forget about it... until they set it off and the water would get them. Seems you wake up real quick then. :D

D'oh!!!!

I bet they made some funny noises!

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
TigsMom said:
LOUD 50's Cruisin' Music may have done the trick. I cranked up the volume of Cruisin Music in Hubby's Garage for a few hours yesterday as I worked on the turtle and tortoise pens yesterday. Hubby also worked on cleaning and organizing in the garage from about 3-7pm. The security lights never triggered last night, so the stinker may have relocated himself. If he's still around he's laying low and odds are the construction/installation of our Solar System over the next few weeks might convince the Stinker that we aren't the best choice to set up his home. Our Daughter had a good idea too, "run our quads around". Basically, make some noise. Time will tell. Hopefully, he's moved on.

May be the little guy is a TFO member and saw all the suggestions. It would be enough to make anyone lay low for a while, especially if the marines are coming to the party.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I was working on building the new burrows for the tortoises today (the never ending digging of the holes), I caught a whiff of stink in the slight breeze. He's somewhere in the neighborhood, he must be. I didn't hear anyone or animals scream, but it was definitely a skunk stink for a few minutes.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:

BTW, you will love your solar system. It is so fun watching that meter spin backwards! Two things I learned about the process.
2. Use a panel optimizer system. They make a huge difference. I use the Tigo system.

Used to have one made by Ben Pearson, and I got it back in the 70s. It was the same model as this:
scan0867.jpg

My son has a Barnett and it's a compound crossbow...both shoot about like a .22 and have similar accuracy/range.

Prefer my Impala take-down for this sort of thing:
4ec67519-f194-47b0-b693-613a2a61e280

'Coon...it's what's for dinner!​

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Terry Allan Hall said:
Tom said:

Used to have one made by Ben Pearson, and I got it back in the 70s. It was the same model as this:
scan0867.jpg

My son has a Barnett and it's a compound crossbow...both shoot about like a .22 and have similar accuracy/range.

Them things are yummy to the tummy .:D:D:D:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
mike taylor said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Tom said:

scan0867.jpg

Them things are yummy to the tummy .:D:D:D:D

Indeed! Barbeque and a cool hat, all in one critter... :p

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some people just don't know what they are missing .