Should certain food items not be able to be bought with food stamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I am on the pink side myself

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
I am on the pink side myself

David, you so very often make some comment that gets my fingers twitching to respond off color and then I remember, I am not allowed too. :p

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
ascott said:
make a scene....make a scene.....pink pink pink :D

Have you ever walked in the wild with a ding dong while drinking a margarita?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
ascott said:
Captain....I don't think alcohol nor cigarettes should be allowed for ebt purchase....but any other food or beverage should be aok :D

Sounds reasonable to me...tobacco and alcohol aren't food.

Kristina said:
No, I don't think that it should be limited on what people can buy with food stamps. I *DO* think that diapers and toilet paper should also be allowed, however. I went through some very tough times with my first daughter and dead beat ex-husband. Diapers are horribly expensive and a necessity, and I think toilet paper should qualify as well.

Yeah, I can see diapers, formula TP/paper towels as being legit, as well.

Drug testing?...well, absolutely not, until there's a 100% infallible test (and, so far, the most accurate, follicle testing, besides being the most expensive, is only 90% accurate under perfect lab conditions, and probably more like 80% under "real world" conditions...btw, urinalysis is more like 66/48%)...any possibility of testees getting false positives is unacceptable to me...careers have been ended and lives have been ruined! :(

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I have never used them, either for myself or for my kids, but my assumption is that the government sees disposable diapers as a luxury and not a necessity. Cloth diapers can be hand washed in a sink and the overall cost is far, far less. I'm not advocating the use of cloth diapers, I'm just saying that there are more cost effective alternatives to disposable diapers and I'm sure this gets factored in. The same would most likely apply to paper towels, although I agree they are a "necessity".

I can't think of any cost effective alternatives to formula or toilet paper, and they are certainly necessities. You can't very well force a non-lactating woman to breastfeed.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
ascott said:
okay so one thing to add....I do not think that people should be drug tested in order to collect food stamps, unemployment, disability, 401k benefits, pension checks nor any other benefit that is based on equal participation....as if that were the case every person in the united states should be subjected to that same testing (hmmm, a little big brother'ish)

We are a world full of bad stuff that we ELECT to partake, participate and involve ourselves in....what one person thinks is bad another thinks is fine for their life....when we start to dictate or allow our government to dictate what people should eat/drink....we are essentially giving our government the aok to decide what cars/houses/clothes/food we are all issued..As a woman, I think that if I want a ding dong, then lord help the person who stands between me and that ding dong.....LOL

I was laid off 09-17-2010 from a position that I loved, I was fantastic at that position...did the work of 3 sometimes 4 people who were paid 3x what I made, I was laid off due to a newly hired manager was intimidated by my presence....so she tried every way she could to get me to walk....but I loved what I did...so I endured her trivial attempts....so she said to me one day "you are a natural leader and the other staff look to you for guidance, but I promise you that will change" then a week later I was laid off "due to reduction in hours/staff"

I do not think that anyone should be subjected to silliness, I believe that if you work in a field that is directly involved with the public, you should have to be drug tested, but that is a given now a days....not because the company giving the drug test cares about the public, but so that when they are sued they will only owe out 1 million vs 5 million....it is all the money game....

While I do not partake of drugs....I love ding dongs, pizza, doritos and gallons of ice tea, a margarita from time to time or 4 or 5 if I am in vegas....I love recreational gambling in vegas, I love walking in the wild..I love hiking our deserts...I love speaking my mind.....I just think that we all need to remember the things we personally love and what it would mean for someone to come in and say, no, just because they think that they know what is better for me, more than me....

We are already pushed to the wall most days as it is.....so, I would not want someone who has worked all of their life, then get laid off by no fault of theirs....not collect benefits that aid them in making it until they find gainful employment that they can actually live off of and not just survive.... all in my opinion

One of the best posts I have ever read!!!
Unfortunately the system is so abused. Here in NY there are many places where food is distributed, and many people who don't need it are on line to get it. Fake ID's, etc...... There are so many people working the system here that it's nothing more than a joke. People collecting unemployment, while they're working off the books, people getting SSD...also working off the books.....the list goes on and on. Families who live with relatives, and say they are paying rent, get welfare and food cards, and their families get rent money from the welfare. People who claim to have aids, getting free rent, phones, utilities paid all because they have friends who work in hospitals and sign papers for them. There are Doctors who work the system too. They hand out pills every time a patient visits them and then collect the money from medicaid. Then the person who gets the pills goes on the street and sells them to drug addicts looking for a buzz, for $3 a pill. EVERYONE works the system one way or another......and WE the tax payers are paying for all this. Any body ever watch the old Westerns where the men on out-posts were supposed to distribute the food and clothes and goods to the Indians on the reservations, but they kept most of it for themselves and sold it? Well, nothing has changed since then. I have done a lot of volunteering in homeless shelters, where some rich women would come in and give bags of beautiful clothes, and the people working there would go through them and take what they wanted before giving them out to the homeless.
Well, I'm sorry for going off topic...but it really doesn't matter what the food cards are for......everyone gets what they want anyway....one way or another.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Well, I had a very strongly worded response to this, but I decided not to post it. Apparently, I lean a different way then most posting here.

Suffice it to say that NO, I do NOT think the hard-working middle class should be forced to pay taxes to support programs that allow people to eat themselves to death. Lobster should not be covered, fast food should not be covered, and most processed foods should not be covered. Staples are all that is required to live. A little butter, sugar, flour and every fruit and vegetable your heart desires can make SO many things. If you don't like the choices that are offered you, deal with your boring food until you are in a better position and off assistance.

Welfare and assistance are a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT. There is nothing, anywhere that says the government owes you a ding dong. You signed no contracts when you came of age that said the government will give you free money if you need it. What if their were no (insert favorite junk food here)? What if **** hits the fan and you're lucky to even find something resembling food? Would you just lay down and throw a tantrum until you died because you couldn't find your favorite snack? No. You act like an adult and you do the best you can with what you have, instead of acting like a selfish, entitled child.

lynnedit said:
However, the fact is, if someone has a heart attack or stroke, from a medical standpoint, it is not just their consequence. We will all pay ultimately for the surgery and rehabilitation, if they survive and if they have medical insurance or not.
Exactly. In AZ, people with EBT usually qualify for free medical as well. So not only are we allowing them to buy what will kill them, we take care of them until they die, and then eat the bill in the end. This is absolutely 100% not For The People, as someone previously mentioned.

Terry Allan Hall said:
Drug testing?...well, absolutely not, until there's a 100% infallible test (and, so far, the most accurate, follicle testing, besides being the most expensive, is only 90% accurate under perfect lab conditions, and probably more like 80% under "real world" conditions...btw, urinalysis is more like 66/48%)...any possibility of testees getting false positives is unacceptable to me...careers have been ended and lives have been ruined! :(
I'm sorry but my schooling and future job depends on testing negative for drugs, just like a very large percentage of the population. Why is it okay for me to face the risk of false positives and my source of supporting my family, but it's not okay of someone without a job? If I have to take a drug test in order to pay the taxes that supports these programs, then the people who receive the rewards of my hard work should have to as well. Usually this argument devolves into an argument of "What about the kids?", but I wont go there unless asked.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow Katie, I am always amazed when someone lashes out with such judgement. It is easy to get caught up in the haves and have nots...easy to judge from atop the mountain.

I am a woman who has worked since the "law" says I could, at 15 1/2 years of age I had my first job, cleaning out kennels at a local boarding kennel. I have worked ever since then. I was laid off, by no fault of mine almost one year ago. I have never been laid off ever before and certainly not in a time when a person who wants to work, a person who has always done more than a job requires, a person who has held some pretty good paying gigs --can not find a full time job.

I am a single mother of a beautiful, loving, funny, smart, caring, giving, respectful and polite 12 year old son. A son I have provided for, on my own, well with the exception of 30.00 dollars his father donated for the purchase of a baby bearded dragon when my son was 4.

I am a woman who does not solicit charity, does not beg for free bees, does not feel owed anything, does not look down from the mountain and judge others. I am a single mother of a 12 year old son who does not deserve to have only a little butter, sugar, flour and every fruit and vegetable his heart (beautiful loving heart) desires....he needs food for school lunches, so he can progress and get fantastic grades, he needs uniforms for school, he needs shoes and socks and underwear, he needs soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste,mouthwash, and for me to somehow come up with his monthly orthodontic payment for his braces, he needs a ride to school, he needs a ride home from school. He needs me to pay the mortgage each month to assure he has a place to lay his beautiful head, he needs gas for me to cook his food, he needs power paid, he needs a bit more than a little butter, sugar, flour and every fruit and vegetable his heart desires. I have paid into the system since age 15 1/2, I am 44 years old.

So, I hope you will make it through these odd times with your employment in tact, your home unaffected by the hard times right now, I wish you all of the luck you will need, as with the way the job market is now, luck and a prayer are your only hope.

I stand by what I said before. I do not think that it be a requirement to drug test everyone that receives a benefit of unemployment, welfare, disability or pension payments or any of the like. The only reason drug testing is required in the workplace is strictly to benefit the employer, not for any other reason.....it will not keep people who use drugs from using drugs and then doing their job...it just makes them part of the suing party.

I believe that hard times bring to light the true nature of a person, as you have shared yours here. I don't hold anything against you, I will actually say a prayer for you, a request that the anger and hostility you shared here will be put to rest and filled with compassion for your fellow man....

As you said, if things hit the fan....I have total faith my son and I and my family and friends will be fine....as we have and will continue to do what we can for our fellow man....to love and to respect one another, to give food to those that have less, to give hope to those who have run out....and a smile when that is all that is left.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Fundamentally, and I think this is where most people disagree, is, "What level of lifestyle should the government be required to provide a person that has fallen onto hard times?".

Should a mother be forced to switch from disposable diapers to washing cloth diapers because she loses her job?

Should a man that is used to consuming 4500 calories of fast food a day be forced to get used to 2100 healthy calories a day because he loses his job?

Should a 42 year old, single, male cocaine addict cigarette smoker that just lost his fifth job in two years be offered the same level of benefit as a 42 year old, single non smoking, non drug using male that lost the job that he's had since college due to downsizing?

Should a single mother of seven, collecting welfare since age 18, be counseled on the proper use of birth control? Or counseled on healthy food choices for her young children? If so, who should regulate and provide this counseling?

Let's say that I own a home and support a family and that I keep enough money in my savings account to support my family for six months if I lose my job. Why should I have to dip into my savings in order to maintain my lifestyle if the guy down the road, in the same situation minus the savings account, is able to maintain his lifestyle based on government support?

Should a single mother of two, formerly a stay at home mother, be forced to work if abandoned by a deadbeat father?

Should an out of work family of five receiving private assistance from their church, extended family, local PTA ( for school supplies), local Women's Club (for clothing) be given the same amount of government support as a family of five receiving no private assistance? Should anyone receiving government support be forced to disclose all sources of private support?

Do government handouts, and the excessive abuses of the system, work to stifle and deter the actions of privately funded charitable organizations?

Should the government, and the taxpayers, be required to provide any more than the basic life essentials?

I don't claim to have the right answers to these questions. Unfortunately life is not fair. Terrible things happen to great people and great things happen to terrible people. The issue that taxpayers face is: what is the governments level of responsibility when it comes to temporarily providing for citizens that have fallen on hard times?

All hypothetical questions meant to add to the discussion in a constructive manner. None of these questions are in any way directed towards any members of this forum participating in this thread. These questions are just meant to provide a "devils advocate" point of view on the issue of lifestyle maintenance. I wish everyone on this forum all the best in health, happiness and prosperity.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Ok, I am going to be one person who will probably be disliked after this...but I am going to comment.

At those that think Drug Testing is wrong.... How can you say that. There are very few if any work places that do not do random drug testing to keep employment. For the one who said..why should I be subjected to this and risk a false positive. If you have nothing to hide a second test can be administered and you will be cleared. Just look around at the Pro Atheletes who said that they were not "Dirty" and the test was "Wrong" only to admit it later...when 2nd and 3rd tests continued to test positive.

I have held several jobs in the Government, where I risked my name coming up everyday for a "Drug" test...so if I have to do that to keep my job, then why shouldn't someone collecting welfare be asked to submit to a drug test?

The fear of "Big Brother" watching or having control is already happening. Govenment is like a Prison or jail...it can only control those who want to be controlled. There are "Right" doers and "Wrong" doers. I am not passing judgement, so you will have to put yourself in one of the categories and go from there. The "Right" doers will always have to pay at the expense of the "Wrong" doer.

Before you come back and jump on me, I am not saying that all people on Food Stamps or Welfare are "Wrong Doers". There are a great number of folks who go through the system and utilize it the way it was designed to work. For those folks, I applaud you...and you should have no problem being "Drug tested"...and if you do..then you will have to move yourself to the "wrong doer" side..because why else would you not agree to this testing. I agreed to it, when I took my employment?

How about the guy who was on foodstamps prior to winning the lottery. Now he is a Millionaire and because of the way his State laws are written, he can continue on the Food Stamps and he intends on doing so...because he can.

Sorry...just my Two Cents worth.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Every job that I have held since leaving college has required me to submit to an initial drug test followed by an agreement to submit to random drug tests if asked to do so. I am involved in "at will" employment. I choose to work for these companies and if I didn't like their policies then I would find somewhere else to work. I have never seen a fellow employee fired for a false positive. I looked it up and my current employer specifically states that any positive test results will be followed up with repeat tests and that the employee has the right to utilize any number of approved testing facilities if there is a concern of false positive.

Now, I personally do not believe that all drug users are terrible people that should rot in the gutters. We are talking about government assistance. If a person tests positive, then in my opinion they should be required to enter a treatment program. Non-compliance results in complete loss of benefits. Anyone who disagreed has the ability to choose not to accept benefits and can seek assistance from private sources. Nobody is trying to force anyone to accept assistance.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Suffice it to say that NO, I do NOT think the hard-working middle class should be forced to pay taxes to support programs that allow people to eat themselves to death. Lobster should not be covered, fast food should not be covered, and most processed foods should not be covered. Staples are all that is required to live. A little butter, sugar, flour and every fruit and vegetable your heart desires can make SO many things. If you don't like the choices that are offered you, deal with your boring food until you are in a better position and off assistance.

Welfare and assistance are a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT. There is nothing, anywhere that says the government owes you a ding dong. You signed no contracts when you came of age that said the government will give you free money if you need it. What if their were no (insert favorite junk food here)? What if stuff hits the fan and you're lucky to even find something resembling food? Would you just lay down and throw a tantrum until you died because you couldn't find your favorite snack? No. You act like an adult and you do the best you can with what you have, instead of acting like a selfish, entitled child.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...-bought-with-food-stamps?page=3#ixzz1VaFVh5v7

I am in total agreement with this. When I was young and broke with a nonworking husband and two kids to support, there were no "frills" on our table. What I couldn't buy at the damaged food warehouse market, the day old bread store, or on sale at the supermarket were off limits for our table. I used to cringe when I had to drop off my daugher at a day care where I paid a monthly fee, while other mothers were receiving welfare and food stamps and going to college on the government, while I was working my butt off just to make ends meet. I spent my weekends making food that was cheap for the weeks meals. I was not raised to take when I could make do. And I expect that others in need to do the same with the free benefits they receive from the taxpayers.

When there is no income through no fault of your own (loss of job, home, etc.), and help is really needed, be thankful for it and be a good steward of the taxpayers dollars and don't squander it on unneeded frills.

Children should know when times are hard there is no money for extras. It can be a good lesson for them. It builds a desire to work and earn a living, and not expect handouts. Our children today can use a bit of that lesson. They will become more productive members of society. It is the American way afterall.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Angela, I'm sorry if you felt my response was aimed at you. It was not and I didn't mean for it to seem that way. I read back through and realized you had talked about ding dongs. I should have used a different example.

There are many many people who use the program properly. They qualify legally, they do the best they can until they are in a better place and stop using the program when the no longer need it. I feel no anger or hostility to those on EBT (I have never personally qualified, though prayed I would at times. As a child we used it often).

I understand your son needs more than butter, sugar, etc but unless you want all of that to be covered by EBT, it's a different conversation. My point was that processed foods do not need to be covered by EBT. Things not food-related are covered by different programs. My mortgage right now is about 60% of my income and I'm supporting 7 people, so I know how you feel. (I have 2 kids.) I would love to afford braces, but keeping my gas on is much more of a priority. If you are living on a beer budget, you cannot expect the government to keep you at a champagne level. The whole premise of the program is to get you through a hard time in one piece, not to replace your standard of living. I just fed my family eggs w cheese, sausage and some carrot juice. Shopping with coupons and all available discount options, I probably spent about $5 total for 7 people. $1/eggs, $2 sausage and a couple bucks for some carrots. Cheese was not necessary, but was left over from another meal. Or I could have bought one box of toaster strudel and fed only two people. And that's how we normally eat. If I'm feeling froggy, I'll make a cake, which is certainly not a nutritional requirement - from scratch.

I do just want to clarify that I don't think EBT should be done away with, I don't think people who use EBT are bad or lazy in general. I think that the way the current program is structured is not right.

I also think people need a better understanding of rights versus privileges.

DesertGrandma said:
I am in total agreement with this. When I was young and broke with a nonworking husband and two kids to support, there were no "frills" on our table. What I couldn't buy at the damaged food warehouse market, the day old bread store, or on sale at the supermarket were off limits for our table. I used to cringe when I had to drop off my daugher at a day care where I paid a monthly fee, while other mothers were receiving welfare and food stamps and going to college on the government, while I was working my butt off just to make ends meet. I spent my weekends making food that was cheap for the weeks meals. I was not raised to take when I could make do. And I expect that others in need to do the same with the free benefits they receive from the taxpayers.

When there is no income through no fault of your own (loss of job, home, etc.), and help is really needed, be thankful for it and be a good steward of the taxpayers dollars and don't squander it on unneeded frills.

Agreed. Or even when it is fault of your own. If you need help, sure. If you're dumb about it, Sorry Jack - no more.

Sounds like we shop(ped) in the same places. ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Katie, I can understand some of your points. I too went back and read all of the posts here on this topic.

While I have not applied for, nor have I ever had the need to receive Welfare. I believe it is necessary. I too find it very annoying to hear of Career Welfare Recipients. I too have been behind the person in line that is purchasing all high end grocery items, of which I don't purchase, and then pulling out that EBT card. I quietly say to them, you are welcome.

While I am currently unemployed/laid off I collect unemployment insurance benefits. I do this only because I am actively seeking full time employment, while it is difficult at present, I will continue to seek full time employment and I know it will come. My sons braces were already in the works when things changed financially for me...so they are something that have to be completed...and honestly, I will do without to assure they get done....his teeth are long term....you know, your teeth are designed to last a lifetime if you take care of them properly :D

I do cringe when I hear on the news that EBT cards can and have been used in Las Vegas Casinos (wow, some nerve huh). I choose to not apply for / receive Welfare as I feel that there are people out there that need it more than we at present do. I believe that Welfare should be the last resource tapped into before a family hits the street. I also do not think though that a family has to sign their home, auto's and anything else of monetary value over to the state in return for benefits on a temporary basis....again, this is money that comes from taxpayers, and if a person has a steady work history....they should be able to save what they have worked all of their life for

I have strong beliefs in the state/government REQUIRING drug testing...after all the money that the government so generously hands out to so many hands is not their money, it is the peoples money....they should be in the business for the people...as we are the source of their bank book.

I initially felt like a low down bum when I first started collecting UI Benefits...as I have always worked. I then received a stiff talking to from a couple friends and family members that abruptly reminded me that this is a temporary state and that I have been a productive, viable citizen all other times in my life....to which they are correct.

I have an overall issue with authority being shoved down our throats to be honest. I always figure that if an authority has proven to me that they truly know what is best for me, I will listen and be respectful. I have also learned that our government has not proven to me that they know what is best for me, therefore I have a tremendous problem with them when they try to put "moral" regulations on the general public....kinda like, "are you kidding me" our government can not even get a collective decision to save our lives/way of life/our country dignity/security/financial stability, etc. There are moral taxes for example placed on cigarettes, alcohol but the same taxes are not forced onto the sell of marijuana....why not? We allow little pot shops but they do not get taxed the same as other enterprise. Cigarettes are banned from most open air areas, however, you can still buy beer all day long at Sea World and the like....hypocritical is also another issue of mine.

So, when I get annoyed and strongly voice my opinions on some of these type of subjects, I often wonder who "these" people are that make the decisions about no smoking in public places, but go right ahead and sell all the alcohol you would like...I understand that smoke moving through the air is intrusive on the public, but also know that a drunk that plows into a car and kills an entire family is, well, a bit intrusive as well....so I guess my issue is with ....if we give our government the aok to drug test people who obtain UI benefits/Welfare/Disability etc....then those people who make the stupid decisions are now empowered to delegate what other things they are now entitled to regulate...

So, I apologize to you Katie for anything I may have said that was harsh and less than lady like, truly I do. I enjoy your information as a tortoise keeper and enjoy the interaction on this forum. As always, government and religion will always bring out in each of us a great passion that will ignite when given the opportunity.... again, as a woman, a forum member and one of the homo sapiens that occupy this awesome planet, I truly apologize for any abrupt harsh comments.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
ascott said:
Katie, I can understand some of your points. I too went back and read all of the posts here on this topic.

While I have not applied for, nor have I ever had the need to receive Welfare. I believe it is necessary. I too find it very annoying to hear of Career Welfare Recipients. I too have been behind the person in line that is purchasing all high end grocery items, of which I don't purchase, and then pulling out that EBT card. I quietly say to them, you are welcome.

While I am currently unemployed/laid off I collect unemployment insurance benefits. I do this only because I am actively seeking full time employment, while it is difficult at present, I will continue to seek full time employment and I know it will come. My sons braces were already in the works when things changed financially for me...so they are something that have to be completed...and honestly, I will do without to assure they get done....his teeth are long term....you know, your teeth are designed to last a lifetime if you take care of them properly :D

I do cringe when I hear on the news that EBT cards can and have been used in Las Vegas Casinos (wow, some nerve huh). I choose to not apply for / receive Welfare as I feel that there are people out there that need it more than we at present do. I believe that Welfare should be the last resource tapped into before a family hits the street. I also do not think though that a family has to sign their home, auto's and anything else of monetary value over to the state in return for benefits on a temporary basis....again, this is money that comes from taxpayers, and if a person has a steady work history....they should be able to save what they have worked all of their life for

I have strong beliefs in the state/government REQUIRING drug testing...after all the money that the government so generously hands out to so many hands is not their money, it is the peoples money....they should be in the business for the people...as we are the source of their bank book.

I initially felt like a low down bum when I first started collecting UI Benefits...as I have always worked. I then received a stiff talking to from a couple friends and family members that abruptly reminded me that this is a temporary state and that I have been a productive, viable citizen all other times in my life....to which they are correct.

I have an overall issue with authority being shoved down our throats to be honest. I always figure that if an authority has proven to me that they truly know what is best for me, I will listen and be respectful. I have also learned that our government has not proven to me that they know what is best for me, therefore I have a tremendous problem with them when they try to put "moral" regulations on the general public....kinda like, "are you kidding me" our government can not even get a collective decision to save our lives/way of life/our country dignity/security/financial stability, etc. There are moral taxes for example placed on cigarettes, alcohol but the same taxes are not forced onto the sell of marijuana....why not? We allow little pot shops but they do not get taxed the same as other enterprise. Cigarettes are banned from most open air areas, however, you can still buy beer all day long at Sea World and the like....hypocritical is also another issue of mine.

So, when I get annoyed and strongly voice my opinions on some of these type of subjects, I often wonder who "these" people are that make the decisions about no smoking in public places, but go right ahead and sell all the alcohol you would like...I understand that smoke moving through the air is intrusive on the public, but also know that a drunk that plows into a car and kills an entire family is, well, a bit intrusive as well....so I guess my issue is with ....if we give our government the aok to drug test people who obtain UI benefits/Welfare/Disability etc....then those people who make the stupid decisions are now empowered to delegate what other things they are now entitled to regulate...

So, I apologize to you Katie for anything I may have said that was harsh and less than lady like, truly I do. I enjoy your information as a tortoise keeper and enjoy the interaction on this forum. As always, government and religion will always bring out in each of us a great passion that will ignite when given the opportunity.... again, as a woman, a forum member and one of the homo sapiens that occupy this awesome planet, I truly apologize for any abrupt harsh comments.

Angela
IMHO...I think you write the most wonderful posts, and I agree with all you say......just had to post this.

Status
Not open for further replies.