Should certain food items not be able to be bought with food stamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
so what do you think? should some items not be allowed to be bought with food stamps. Now known as EBT cards.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Nope....I think if you really need food stamps, you should be able to use them for all kinds of food. Why not?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Captain....I don't think alcohol nor cigarettes should be allowed for ebt purchase....but any other food or beverage should be aok :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think it should only be used for actual food or beverage and like Angela said, cigarettes and alcohol should not be allowed...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No, I don't think that it should be limited on what people can buy with food stamps. I *DO* think that diapers and toilet paper should also be allowed, however. I went through some very tough times with my first daughter and dead beat ex-husband. Diapers are horribly expensive and a necessity, and I think toilet paper should qualify as well.

Now, drug testing for benefits I am all for... Oh yeah, I went there ;)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Instead of banning certain foods, make food stamps more like WIC, where certain nutritious foods are provided.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
+2 with Kristina with the drug testing... same for unemployment and welfare

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
so someone spending all of the "money" on ding dongs, doritos, soda, chocolate is ok?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It is their body. It is their choice to be healthy or not. Plain and simple. When I got food stamps I chose to make healthy food choices for me and my children. I also would shop and discount stores, use coupons, etc. to make things stretch as far as possible. But the government has absolutely no right to tell me what I can and cannot put in my body. If the argument is that since the government is providing it, they should be able to dictate it, well, number one, it is the taxpayers that provide that money, the hard working middle class to be exact. Second, that is what government SHOULD do, is be FOR THE PEOPLE.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
their bodies,my tax money.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
A flip side to that argument would be: Their heart attack, their consequence would only apply to a person not participating in Medicaid or any other form of taxpayer funded healthcare.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Kristina said:
Now, drug testing for benefits I am all for... Oh yeah, I went there ;)

Kristina said:
It is their body. It is their choice to be healthy or not. Plain and simple. When I got food stamps I chose to make healthy food choices for me and my children. I also would shop and discount stores, use coupons, etc. to make things stretch as far as possible. But the government has absolutely no right to tell me what I can and cannot put in my body. If the argument is that since the government is providing it, they should be able to dictate it, well, number one, it is the taxpayers that provide that money, the hard working middle class to be exact. Second, that is what government SHOULD do, is be FOR THE PEOPLE.

?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Kristina said:

I had a different answer before I read what Kristina had to say. My answer is food healthy or not without limitations. What if all the kids are bringing cheese doodles or hershey bars for desert in their lunch and a child who's food is provided by food stamps just wants to be like their class mates? Or a mom dependent on foodstamps wants to make a cake or cupcakes to celebrate her child's birthday and would not have the money without food stamps? So my answer is simply no limitations on food.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I for one think food stamps should only buy food at super markets not at take out food places like Papa Murphy's Pizza. It should be more like WIC and they need to do a better job at checking who gets it. There are a lot of people abusing the system and needs an overhaul.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Atleast in Floriduh, things are already limited somewhat.........There are things you can and cannot buy, so I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say? What kind of food are we talking about?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
okay so one thing to add....I do not think that people should be drug tested in order to collect food stamps, unemployment, disability, 401k benefits, pension checks nor any other benefit that is based on equal participation....as if that were the case every person in the united states should be subjected to that same testing (hmmm, a little big brother'ish)

We are a world full of bad stuff that we ELECT to partake, participate and involve ourselves in....what one person thinks is bad another thinks is fine for their life....when we start to dictate or allow our government to dictate what people should eat/drink....we are essentially giving our government the aok to decide what cars/houses/clothes/food we are all issued..As a woman, I think that if I want a ding dong, then lord help the person who stands between me and that ding dong.....LOL

I was laid off 09-17-2010 from a position that I loved, I was fantastic at that position...did the work of 3 sometimes 4 people who were paid 3x what I made, I was laid off due to a newly hired manager was intimidated by my presence....so she tried every way she could to get me to walk....but I loved what I did...so I endured her trivial attempts....so she said to me one day "you are a natural leader and the other staff look to you for guidance, but I promise you that will change" then a week later I was laid off "due to reduction in hours/staff"

I do not think that anyone should be subjected to silliness, I believe that if you work in a field that is directly involved with the public, you should have to be drug tested, but that is a given now a days....not because the company giving the drug test cares about the public, but so that when they are sued they will only owe out 1 million vs 5 million....it is all the money game....

While I do not partake of drugs....I love ding dongs, pizza, doritos and gallons of ice tea, a margarita from time to time or 4 or 5 if I am in vegas....I love recreational gambling in vegas, I love walking in the wild..I love hiking our deserts...I love speaking my mind.....I just think that we all need to remember the things we personally love and what it would mean for someone to come in and say, no, just because they think that they know what is better for me, more than me....

We are already pushed to the wall most days as it is.....so, I would not want someone who has worked all of their life, then get laid off by no fault of theirs....not collect benefits that aid them in making it until they find gainful employment that they can actually live off of and not just survive.... all in my opinion

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
so someone spending all of the "money" on ding dongs, doritos, soda, chocolate is ok?

Not with me! I am disgusted watching my money (yes my money, because that is where part of the money I work hard for goes to support) being used that way.

I remember very well the days we were living on the cheapest macaroni, pancakes, and anything else I could come up with. I was raising four children with my ex only paying a small amount of his actual amount of child support and then not regularly. Meat was out of our price range for the most part. It seemed like I always ended up behind the person using food stamps. What was in their cart? T-bone steaks, alcohol, cigs, and then junk food/candy.

It's those folks, who make the entire program look like it is not really needed, which is a shame because there are those out there who do need it and do not waste the money given to them.

Cfr200 said:
I for one think food stamps should only buy food at super markets not at take out food places like Papa Murphy's Pizza. It should be more like WIC and they need to do a better job at checking who gets it. There are a lot of people abusing the system and needs an overhaul.

I love the WIC program. It makes sure your getting nutritional food, but still have a large selection of different foods to choose from.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
While I agree people should have options (no pop, cigs or alcohol goes w/o saying), it gets too complicated to eliminate certain foods. However, the fact is, if someone has a heart attack or stroke, from a medical standpoint, it is not just their consequence. We will all pay ultimately for the surgery and rehabilitation, if they survive and if they have medical insurance or not.
I will always gladly support Moms and Dads who have fallen on hard times and try to make healthy choices, of course with treats now and then. Still, too many people with OR without money just make dumb choices. It is like most things in this world, just not black or white, but many shades of grey.
Kinda like keeping torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.