Should a tortoise diet include more than just vegetables

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hi. I currently own a pancake tortoise. I have been feeding him mainly been leafy vegetables. I also have a hatchling tortoise who eats the same diet. I just wanted to know if I should add some pellets or Mazuri tortoise food to their diet for health reasons.

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi. I currently own a pancake tortoise. I have been feeding him mainly been leafy vegetables. I also have a hatchling tortoise who eats the same diet. I just wanted to know if I should add some pellets or Mazuri tortoise food to their diet for health reasons.

Thanks

Here is a list of things they should be eating:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

ZooMed grassland pellets are a good way to amend the grocery store greens and make them better. Mazuri is a good all around supplement that will ensure they are getting everything they need.

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
I just bought some Mazuri pellets today. Is it okay to switch the diet from Leafy greens to feeding them Mazuri pellets only. Thanks

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
I am just worried that if they eat just leafy greens that they will be always Hungary and not grow. My hatchling eats a variety of grocery store leafy greens but has not grown much. I have had him for about six months now.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They shouldn't eat "just" anything. Feed some weeds, some leaves, some grocery greens if you have to, some Mazuri, some grassland tortoise food, some cactus, some pumpkin, ..... All the stuff in the list above.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am just worried that if they eat just leafy greens that they will be always Hungary and not grow. My hatchling eats a variety of grocery store leafy greens but has not grown much. I have had him for about six months now.
Your tort is an extreme vegan. It doesn't eat meat. It doesn't need carbs to fill it up like a human does. It has a low protein diet.

Big animals like cows, horses and elephants grow pretty well on such a diet. You have been given good advice.

Torts don't do much quickly, including growing. Like everything some grow quicker than others. To grow healthy is more important than to grow quickly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

What species is your hatchling? What was the source? Dry start or well hydrated? How are you housing and heating it?

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
No it is not. Tortoises need a varied diet. They need some of as many different things as you can provide. Broccoli is good for you, but if you eat nothing but broccoli, you will get sick.
You never had it with cheese sauce then!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Tom asked a few good questions. We need to know more.
My comment here is that if you have had your hatchling for six months and only fed him "grocery store greens" I would definitely be worried about his nutrition and growth up to this point. You can read, of course you can, so just read the tortoise diet sheets and follow them for a varied and healthy diet for that particular type of tortoise.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Here is a list of things they should be eating:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

ZooMed grassland pellets are a good way to amend the grocery store greens and make them better. Mazuri is a good all around supplement that will ensure they are getting everything they need.
Will this work for red foots?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I just bought some Mazuri pellets today. Is it okay to switch the diet from Leafy greens to feeding them Mazuri pellets only. Thanks
Mazuri is ment to be only 20% of their diet . I feed aLittle less to be on the safe side but their your torts do what you think is best !

MasterSplinter

is this common mallow? it seems like it but i would like to double check because i have a ton of it in my backyard

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 12