Shell abrasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Grim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Originally posted in the health section. Hoping for better response here...

My 12-yr old female came from the rescue with a badly abraded rear scute. Not sure if this is from rubbing against a masonry wall, or from mating. She has wear on top of her shell from being around the block a few times :Rolleyes: . The wear pattern is fairly flat, leading me to think it is from rubbing against a wall. My concern is that there is what appears to be exposed bone structure. She is otherwise healthy and shows no signs that this bothers her.
The abrasion does not appear to be a wound, per say, and it does not appear to be adversely affecting her health or comfort. I was wondering if I should cover, or build up her rear scute with something to prevent further abrasion or problems..?
Any thoughts and/or advice is appreciated.

Tilly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looking at the picture really doesn't do it for us here on the forum. We can give you an opinion, but without seeing it in person, its just an opinion. If you're really worried you should take the tortoise to the vet.

In my opinion, you are seeing an old injury. The white part looks raised, which means that new keratin and bone is growing underneath. The white will eventually flake off.

You see this type of shell damage when you only have one female and more than one male. Its from the males breeding her all the time.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I agree with Yvonne, it looks like an old injury, if she is eating and moving around I would not worry about it.

Apart from that the shell looks fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.