Shell abrasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Grim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
My 12-yr old female came from the rescue with a badly abraded rear scute. Not sure if this is from rubbing against a masonry wall, or from mating. She has wear on top of her shell from being around the block a few times :rolleyes:. The wear pattern is fairly flat, leading me to think it is from rubbing against a wall. My concern is that there is what appears to be exposed bone structure. She is otherwise healthy and shows no signs that this bothers her. You can zoom in on the attached pic to see her. Any thoughts and/or advice is appreciated.

DSC01111.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Your enclosure is amazing! As you don't know what caused the abrasion, maybe a course of antibiotics, and a daily wash with antiseptic solution would be a good idea.

CT Grim

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Thanks Amber! The habitat is a work in progress...the entire yard is now evolving around the torts and children. :)
The abrasion does not appear to be a wound, per say, and it does not appear to be adversely affecting her health or comfort. I was wondering if I should cover, or build up her rear scute with something to prevent further abrasion or problems..?

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Try some Turtle wax and a good buffer :D Maybe try some of that VitaShell and rub it on the area of the shell. Heck the whole shell would not hurt either. Btw, O.M.G. on the enclosure. You have to take more pics of her and that wore spot any order to anyone to give you their best advice.

CT Grim

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Here is a better photo...
Tilly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.