Sulcata's rear end looks different

Tankerbelle

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Tankerbelle *female approx 40 lbs and a rescue. Her very rear scute does not curve down to cover her tail like I see in all other photos! Is this normal for some? Her entire rear end is exposed! Attaching pic (sorry she was digging in dirt)... She is healthy, happy and sassy and has a really cute bum but I was just wondering why hers is so different!

P_20161025_133252_1.jpg P_20160719_170131_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I thought all female tortoises had an exposed rear, and that just the mails had the shell that curves down. Mine is a girl and has a similar bum. :)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
It looks like some of her tail is missing and Gular also looks damaged. I would also say she was used as a chew toy in her past.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I thought all female tortoises had an exposed rear, and that just the mails had the shell that curves down. Mine is a girl and has a similar bum. :)
Ginger isn't your tort a Russian?

Tankerbelle

Louisiana
She was chewed on when she was just a pup.
It is really just the odd angle I took pic! The right is just like the left and is much smoother than pic shows! She does have some minor scraping on edge when she tried climbing a concrete wall and fell backwards on concrete ground.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477449315.096274.jpg

This is the back side of my Sully

Tankerbelle

Louisiana
It looks like some of her tail is missing and Gular also looks damaged. I would also say she was used as a chew toy in her past.
Yes one side of gular was broken but seems to be regrowing! Don't know how as it was broken but healed over when I found her! She was in a Texas field with a pellet gun shot in her carapace near back! Healed pretty well

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yes one side of gulag was broken but seems to be regrowing! Don't know how as it was broken but healed over when I found her! She was in a Texas field with a pellet gun shot in her carapace near back! Healed pretty well
That's terrible but she looks good!!

Tankerbelle

Louisiana
Thank you! I try! She has a fbook page where she wears a hat and talks to my family and friends! She loves attention and is such an affectionate ham! Check out her page Talk with Tank A Belle on fbook groups! This silly fun page has earned her many fans and advocates in NE Texas and S Louisiana ! Appreciate all input on this site! https://m.facebook.com/groups/150919098577283?view=info&ref=bookmarks

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yes, mine is a Russian. Is it just Russians that are supposed to have an exposed bum?

My sulcata and leopards are both covered/protected. My box turtles are a little more exposed. I had a couple of Russians before and yes theirs were exposed as well, really not sure about a lot of other species.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
My sulcata and leopards are both covered/protected. My box turtles are a little more exposed. I had a couple of Russians before and yes theirs were exposed as well, really not sure about a lot of other species.

Oh, okay. My bad! I thought they were all that way! :p