Shell abrasion

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Sounds like Torterra is growing at a good rate. I always look forward to when I weigh him, if he gained weight then at least I know I'm doing something right.

I love checking my torts weight to it makes me happy to see if Torterra has grown. I keep a chart.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I love checking my torts weight to it makes me happy to see if Torterra has grown. I keep a chart.
I haven't made a chart yet, but I started a small log book for his weights, and measurements. I think the thing I love the most about him is a few times I got to put him outside before the snow hit and actually watch him graze. It was pretty cool to see, have a long time to wait for that as they predicted another 24 inches of snow by Friday.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I use Google Sheets to track weight - makes charts easy [emoji16]

You're right Jay there's nothing like watching a sulcata go to town on the lawn

Destben

Kansas
I haven't made a chart yet, but I started a small log book for his weights, and measurements. I think the thing I love the most about him is a few times I got to put him outside before the snow hit and actually watch him graze. It was pretty cool to see, have a long time to wait for that as they predicted another 24 inches of snow by Friday.

Torterra is still too little to let out but it’s been real cold here too we had record lows (for Pennsylvania that is) I’m actually from Utah so snow and cold weather is normal for me. But I’m excited to see what she does when it warms up and I put her on the grass for the first time!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I use Google Sheets to track weight - makes charts easy [emoji16]

You're right Jay there's nothing like watching a sulcata go to town on the lawn
I was wondering how you guys were doing that, I will have to check that out. So far so good the Band-Aids have stayed on

Destben

Kansas
I was wondering how you guys were doing that, I will have to check that out. So far so good the Band-Aids have stayed on

I’m no veterinarian but wounds need time to breathe I would let it air out for an hour or two a day if you can. Especially if you are putting Neosporin on it. It keeps the wound wet and that’s not always helpful.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I’m no veterinarian but wounds need time to breathe I would let it air out for an hour or two a day if you can. Especially if you are putting Neosporin on it. It keeps the wound wet and that’s not always helpful.
I was thinking about leaving it unbandaged for an hour or two a day. But I want to leave it on as much as possible, as just applying antibiotic ointment without any bandage hasn't had a whole lot of affect on it.

Destben

Kansas
I was thinking about leaving it unbandaged for an hour or two a day. But I want to leave it on as much as possible, as just applying antibiotic ointment without any bandage hasn't had a whole lot of affect on it.
That’s what I would do too. If you want to switch to the cream I used it’s only a couple bucks if you get it from a vet I believe mine cost only $8. Not saying you have to or anything but it might be a good back up if the neosporin doesn’t work. I’m sure they work much the same though.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
That’s what I would do too. If you want to switch to the cream I used it’s only a couple bucks if you get it from a vet I believe mine cost only $8. Not saying you have to or anything but it might be a good back up if the neosporin doesn’t work. I’m sure they work much the same though.
When I made the original post back in December, that's what I was using. It actually did start to look better, but then I stopped putting on because I had applied it for 2 weeks straight. But then it started getting bad again. And I wanted to see if it would heal on its own without anything and that wasn't my best choice as now he has a small crater.

Destben

Kansas
When I made the original post back in December, that's what I was using. It actually did start to look better, but then I stopped putting on because I had applied it for 2 weeks straight. But then it started getting bad again. And I wanted to see if it would heal on its own without anything and that wasn't my best choice as now he has a small crater.

Torterra’s kept coming back so I increased how much I put the cream on and eventually it went away so maybe if you try that it might work

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If a band aid doesn't stick, you can put duct tape over it (the band aid because of the soft pad, then the duct tape)

Jay Bagley

Michigan
If a band aid doesn't stick, you can put duct tape over it (the band aid because of the soft pad, then the duct tape)
So far he has managed to get one Band-Aid off, I think that may have been my fault. I think he still may have been mildly damp from soaking. If it happens again, I will definitely give the duct tape a go. Thank you very much for the advice.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
So far he has managed to get one Band-Aid off, I think that may have been my fault. I think he still may have been mildly damp from soaking. If it happens again, I will definitely give the duct tape a go. Thank you very much for the advice.

Its been about two weeks so I just wanted to do an update on Sheldon. Been applying the triple antibiotic ointment once to twice daily and bandaging it every other day. It seems to look much better, and the wound has gotten much smaller. His shell is stained from the substrate sticking to where the bandages were, but it will scrub off with a toothbrush. Very happy with the results so far, thank you very much!!20180115_174148.jpg20180115_174142.jpg