shade vs sun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
Lol awesome! :D

I think you should send crusher over when you go away so he can chill out with ours :D hahaha only joking!!

sportychick

5 Year Member
Haha if.only.it were that easy eh :D
I need to add a pic tomorrow for u to see. I want to know of he's peeling.... :)

Katherine

5 Year Member
They are like little ovens in the sun. Mine definitely prefer the share when the sun is high overhead.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
Crusher would be a runt compared to yours :D :D

No he wouldn't lol he's prob bigger than ours!! Lol maybe not hetty!!

sportychick said:
Haha if.only.it were that easy eh :D
I need to add a pic tomorrow for u to see. I want to know of he's peeling.... :)

Yeah I'll have a look, they do shed skin, don't panic!! Lol

sportychick

5 Year Member
Haha not in a panic or worried this time cuz I have read it before :) I just want to know if that's what it is so I don't wipe to hard or wipe it off when drying him off a bit after soaks.
How big are you torts? I have to measure mine but I'd say middle finger in length although might.not say much lol

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
Haha not in a panic or worried this time cuz I have read it before :) I just want to know if that's what it is so I don't wipe to hard or wipe it off when drying him off a bit after soaks.
How big are you torts? I have to measure mine but I'd say middle finger in length although might.not say much lol

Hetty is 4"
Henry is 3". :) there babies!!

sportychick

5 Year Member
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=221

This thing :)
So today I went out to check on crusher on the balcony and I seen poop in his water well only way I know for that to happen is if he went in there lol.. so maybe he is finally going to soak himself :D I still haven't seen him myself but signs look good. I have been soaking him every other day. Seems OK or is it to much or to little for our size torts?

ErikaO

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Russians seem to run the whole spectrum on this. I have seen babies with no fear whatsoever and I have seen long term captive hatched adults that hide all the time as if their pen is full of RT eating monsters, and everything in between.

My 4 year old RT, Mila, loves to be out in the sun. In fact, if we let Mila run around outside in her pen, she spends very little time in her cave. She won't try to burrow in her cave or under ground plants until late dusk. And, if we have let Mila outside but the weather starts to change so we bring her inside, its almost as if she gets angry or depressed and will go straight inside of her indoor hide. She seems to have no fear outside, only attitude!

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=221

This thing :)
So today I went out to check on crusher on the balcony and I seen poop in his water well only way I know for that to happen is if he went in there lol.. so maybe he is finally going to soak himself :D I still haven't seen him myself but signs look good. I have been soaking him every other day. Seems OK or is it to much or to little for our size torts?

Ah, no I haven't tried them yet but i have tried some white flower they seemed to love and I was ment to pick some more up today :/ maybe tommorow!

Our still don't soak themselves yet but I do soak them every day, it's for peace of mind really, soaking them every other day is fine, I just like to soak them everyday due to the heat out here!! Remember, a well hydrated tort is a healthy tort :)

sportychick

5 Year Member
Yup I remember that :) as I mentioned I don't ever see him soak so I'm thinking he might have just turned around and pooped. Not trying to have went in the water. He always takes a stroll over looks and runs away. Almost like a kid and a swimming pool lol :D
Well from what I seen today with Lilacs he loves the flowers ate it like it was going out of style :D

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
Yup I remember that :) as I mentioned I don't ever see him soak so I'm thinking he might have just turned around and pooped. Not trying to have went in the water. He always takes a stroll over looks and runs away. Almost like a kid and a swimming pool lol :D
Well from what I seen today with Lilacs he loves the flowers ate it like it was going out of style :D

I don't think we get lilacs here!! :/

sportychick

5 Year Member
Today my tort came out of his hide slept a bit under the light, went to eat walked for a few minutes and then under his light sleeping for most the day.. soaked him he pooped a lot lol ate some.more around 1 was up til 2 and again sleeping now I am wondering if its due to the heat?
Its +28 out UV 5 and humidity is 40% he is.inside as I feel its to hot in the sun at this time of day

And.only 15% cloud.coverage which only.came.in within the hour..
Is this normal for a tort to sleep like this on really warm days?

Other then sleep he ate his am food most.of.it his eyes are clear nose is.clear so I see.no signs.of.anything.else

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
This reminds me of something that upsets me to this day. About 10 years ago I bought a redfoot hatchling at a reptile show. I didn't know anywhere near what I know now because I was new to the internet and hadn't discovered these wonderful forums. Anyway, summer came and I bought a kiddie pool to put on my deck to give the hatchling some sun. He had a hide log in there but for some reason wasn't using it. So I see him starting to salivate and immediately brought him inside. I didn't know at the time what the problem was and thought maybe respiratory infection. Now I realize he was just getting overheated. Anyway, I called a couple that was on the board or whatever of our local herp society to ask their opinion, explaining what happened. They said, "well, we can keep him for observation for a few days and give him back to you". Because I had to wait for my husband to drive me I wasn't able to go get him immediately when they called. They started to charge boarding fees, which at the time I didn't have the money to give them. I never got my tortoise back. I get upset because now that I think about it why didn't they tell me s/he was probably getting overheated out there? By this time I would have had a beautiful approximately 10 year old red foot. :( I have box turtles, but still have yet to have a tortoise since my little hatchling, Ruby. :(

sportychick

5 Year Member
lisa127 said:
This reminds me of something that upsets me to this day. About 10 years ago I bought a redfoot hatchling at a reptile show. I didn't know anywhere near what I know now because I was new to the internet and hadn't discovered these wonderful forums. Anyway, summer came and I bought a kiddie pool to put on my deck to give the hatchling some sun. He had a hide log in there but for some reason wasn't using it. So I see him starting to salivate and immediately brought him inside. I didn't know at the time what the problem was and thought maybe respiratory infection. Now I realize he was just getting overheated. Anyway, I called a couple that was on the board or whatever of our local herp society to ask their opinion, explaining what happened. They said, "well, we can keep him for observation for a few days and give him back to you". Because I had to wait for my husband to drive me I wasn't able to go get him immediately when they called. They started to charge boarding fees, which at the time I didn't have the money to give them. I never got my tortoise back. I get upset because now that I think about it why didn't they tell me s/he was probably getting overheated out there? By this time I would have had a beautiful approximately 10 year old red foot. :( I have box turtles, but still have yet to have a tortoise since my little hatchling, Ruby. :(

Sorry to hear about your tort. I would be mad.and upset all at the same time. So I'm guessing.my tort was just really hot so wanted to sleep? I hope tomorrow is a better day... at least I know I'm not the only person with a sleepy.tort.on hot days and one who hides away lol..

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
They seem to know what is best for them! Yes, it it gets really warm, Russians, for example, will burrow down partially, especially under a plant. If they have eaten well over the past weeks and all functions are working,:rolleyes: , it is fine if they skip day(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.