Outgrow pyramiding risks?

Mandysaur

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
My guy 6” 1.5 lbs has an enclosed chamber inside but spends day time outside. I am afraid having him in the hot dry air will lead to pyramiding. How do I keep him humid outside? He has a soaking dish, shade, and dirt to dig in but prefers to sit in the sun.
Do sulcata outgrown the risks of pyramiding? 10 years, 10”, never??

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Do you soak you tort daily? If you don't, then please do so.

I live in Jordan where the climate is extremely dry. I give my Greek tort a daily soak in warm water. During Summer, they become two soaks due to the extremely hot and dry climate here.

Any pics?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My guy 6” 1.5 lbs has an enclosed chamber inside but spends day time outside. I am afraid having him in the hot dry air will lead to pyramiding. How do I keep him humid outside? He has a soaking dish, shade, and dirt to dig in but prefers to sit in the sun.
Do sulcata outgrown the risks of pyramiding? 10 years, 10”, never??
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If your tortoise is growing, it can still pyramiding. They do seem to become less susceptible to it as they grow larger, but what I see in dry climates is rough growth and problems at the scute seams. The only way I've found to help is to humidify the heated night boxes a bit. Not perfect, but it helps. Someday maybe I'll move to South Florida and not have to worry about it anymore...