shade vs sun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportychick

5 Year Member
Does anyone else's tort prefer the shade when outside? My tort will sit for a few minutes in the sun then bolt it to the shade, no matter what time of day..

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Depends on temp/time of year. When its hot they stay in the shade, cold they bask in the sun.

sportychick

5 Year Member
Well its +17 outside with a feel of +21 seems just right lol
My torts very active today so I have noticed that on cloudy days and he is indoors he is lazy :D

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Yea, ours do it!! There doing it now, it's about 30degrees outside and apart from hetty coming out and having a wonder for about five mins earlier, all off them ain't really been out today

Henry slightly came out of were he slept last night and basked for about half hour then disappeared again

Hetty sat in the rock in the shade and watched the world go by for a couple hours then had a wonder, now she's gone and hid

Fred, wondered for about 2mins, ate, now he's hiding!!

They haven't eaten much today either, I guess cause its to hot!! Might need to change there feeding time now it's like 20degrees by 10am, there feeding time lol early mornings for me coming up, or late nights!!

sportychick

5 Year Member
Yep crusher walks.around.for 5-10 mins at a time.in the sun then gone again..but not even all the way I'm his hide. Hus back half sticks out lol :D
I feed mine at about 8-9am when its not to hot.. then in evening around 4-5 snack he eat and usually heads for sleep afterwards lol

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
Yep crusher walks.around.for 5-10 mins at a time.in the sun then gone again..but not even all the way I'm his hide. Hus back half sticks out lol :D
I feed mine at about 8-9am when its not to hot.. then in evening around 4-5 snack he eat and usually heads for sleep afterwards lol

I don't feed our sin the evening cause there outside so they've always got weeds etc to have as snacks :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am glad you posted this. I thought I had a vampire for a tort. Makes me mad. I put him out for some nice sunshine and he hides from it. Our temps here isn't that warm very often, so when it is, you take advantage of it, not him LOL.

sportychick

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I am glad you posted this. I thought I had a vampire for a tort. Makes me mad. I put him out for some nice sunshine and he hides from it. Our temps here isn't that warm very often, so when it is, you take advantage of it, not him LOL.

Lol :D I know right!?? When its warm are I take advantage of it. But my tort runs like sun is bad haha..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This depends on species, age/size, temperature, and the individuals personality. When you have groups of them of all different ages, you really start to see a cross section of behavior. The smaller/younger they are, the more they tend to hide. My sulcata hatchlings often run for cover as soon as they hit the ground, but there are a few that don't seem to have such a strong hiding instinct. Once they are 5-6" they seem to be up and about quite a bit more. By 10-12" they are up and out most of the day, but can often be found in the margins of the pen near some cover. By adulthood, they just sit or walk around right out in the open and almost never take cover and hide until the temps start getting warmer. By this time they seem to have lost any sense of needing to hide and its all about thermoregulation.

Niki

5 Year Member
I am also glad you posted this too. My RT spends a lot of time in her burrow. In fact, I will place her food on the other side of her enclosure so I can see her and make sure she is ok. Sometimes I will put her lose in backyard... But she always finds a shrub to hide in. Like Tom stated, she seems to always have that instinct to hide. I assume she gets the right amount of sun. She always has appetite.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russians seem to run the whole spectrum on this. I have seen babies with no fear whatsoever and I have seen long term captive hatched adults that hide all the time as if their pen is full of RT eating monsters, and everything in between.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Isn't being outside really about getting the UVB? Even though they might be in the shade, they still get the UVB; right?

Niki

5 Year Member
Utah Lynn said:
Isn't being outside really about getting the UVB? Even though they might be in the shade, they still get the UVB; right?

That's what I am wondering also... Is she getting enough UVB in the shade?

sportychick

5 Year Member
Utah Lynn, great question!! I think we are all thinking this thus!!I kow its a question of mine too

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Utah Lynn said:

Yes, all torts soak up UVB, even on the littlest of sunshine days, cloudy days and also even through all the shrubs and hides etc they have the ability to do this!! I read it on here somewhere!! Even if the torts outside for as little as an hour, they still manage to soak up UVB!! Being up on a balcony enclosure for a couple hours a day in shade or not is fine :) really can't think we're I saw it!!

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
Yay that's great to know :)I'm relieved a little.now.haha

I wish I could find it :s to prove!! I wouldn't worry, your tort is getting enough UVB :)

Status
Not open for further replies.