Sunshine

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooter

So today was a beautiful sunny day. As soon as we got home we put Thor and Scoot outside for some natural sunshine. By the time we got home and got them out they only had about 20 minutes actually in the sun, the rest of the time (about 2 hours) their enclosures where in shade, though still warm and sunny out. So what I am wondering is in a situation like that is is better to have them outside in the shade or inside under a UV light? Any thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is an interesting and debatable question. I prefer to have them outside in a large pen, whenever the weather permits. They get good exercise if nothing else. UV does bounce around and reflect, so they are still getting some UV, even if its not direct sunlight. They only NEED around 20 minutes twice a week, but more is better.

My dilemma for the last couple of years has been humidity. Babies need it for good, smooth shell growth, but they also need sunshine for good, healthy bone growth. I used to leave my babies outside in big 'ole pens all day on warm/hot days because I mistakenly thought they needed it dry. Daisy has been outside less than any other tortoise I've ever had. Most days I'll give her an hour or so of mid day sun, but then its back into the humidity. This balance seems to be working for me, but I wish that I KNEW exactly what was the best balance.

S

Scooter

I was very torn yesterday over this. Do I bring him in to the humidity and "fake" sun. Or do I leave him out for some natural sun (though not direct) but have less humidity. For Thor I am leaning more towards the natural sun just because when I got him his plastron was already a little soft in the middle so my main concern right now is hardening that up. But it got me wondering and I wanted to see what others have to say about it.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
First of all if.. [ I assume ] you're talking Homes hingeback.. virtually NO SUN is in their nature. ( I know someone will claim their's bask for hours on end..... my Q? is do they have a choice? ) My 'erosa have no lights [ inside ]. They come out of their "warm/humid" pile of leaves in their hide just before all of the "ambient" lights go out in the building [ see link in signature ]

Second.. to the best of my knowledge your sulcata will enjoy the sun a lot.. mainly because they are herbivors and need the D3 from the sun they don't get from their diet.

NERD

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
When Herman's out and its shady but still warm enough I will leave him outside if he's walking around enjoying being out and munching on all the yummy weeds, but if he's done doing all that and just going in his hide to sleep and there's no sun I bring him in.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Tom said:
This is an interesting and debatable question. I prefer to have them outside in a large pen, whenever the weather permits. They get good exercise if nothing else. UV does bounce around and reflect, so they are still getting some UV, even if its not direct sunlight. They only NEED around 20 minutes twice a week, but more is better.

My dilemma for the last couple of years has been humidity. Babies need it for good, smooth shell growth, but they also need sunshine for good, healthy bone growth. I used to leave my babies outside in big 'ole pens all day on warm/hot days because I mistakenly thought they needed it dry. Daisy has been outside less than any other tortoise I've ever had. Most days I'll give her an hour or so of mid day sun, but then its back into the humidity. This balance seems to be working for me, but I wish that I KNEW exactly what was the best balance.

Tom as I recall you have Mediterraneans.. regardless - every herp breeder I know [ zoos included - flat-tails/spiders/stars, etc. ] have FINALLY accepted the fact that virtually EVERY species requires a humid hide for their hatchlings for slow even carapace growth - 'herb or omni' PERIOD!.. give yours babies the choice.

NERD

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Redfoot NERD said:
Tom said:

Tom as I recall you have Mediterraneans.. regardless - every herp breeder I know [ zoos included - flat-tails/spiders/stars, etc. ] have FINALLY accepted the fact that virtually EVERY species requires a humid hide for their hatchlings for slow even carapace growth - 'herb or omni' PERIOD!.. give yours babies the choice.

NERD

Terry, I've had a little (or a lot) of just about everything over the past 30 years, but right now I've only got 4 sulcatas. I'm in the process of adding some S.A. Leopards, more sulcatas, pancakes and a box turtle or two.

The problem with giving them a choice where I live is that's its just too dry everywhere all the time. With all of my ridiculous efforts to keep my humidity up, my enclosure is hovering in the mid 50's. Inside the humid hide box, I've got it in the nineties, but that will drop quickly, if I leave the reptile room door open for two minutes. Outdoors, no dice. I soak the ground before I sun her, but the air is just really really dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.