Scammed? I feel sick.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
None taken! I’m not normally so naive 😂Yes, I’ve moved on. Not worth it! I honestly think this person is not even in the US. With all the conversations I’ve had, the English has gotten more awkward. Sucks for all the other people who have been taken or will be, but sadly it’s not at the top of list for law enforcement. I certainly should have known better!
She/He showed me the same pic of the 3 young torts that she is holding in her hand. She said 150.00 which includes shipping. I asked her what kind of deal for all 3. It was early in the morning around 3am when I texted her back. I haven't looked for her response yet. I will slow play her, so maybe I can get rent free space in her head. While she wonders when I will respond. 👍

Last edited:

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
She/He showed me the same pic of the 3 young torts that she is holding in her hand. She said 150.00 which includes shipping. I asked her what kind of deal for all 3. It was early in the morning around 3am when I texted her back. I haven't looked for her response yet. I will slow play her, so maybe I can get rent free space in her head. While she wonders when I will respond. 👍
Love it! Ask if you can meet her for pick up 😂

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
👍 I did ask her where she was located, method of payment. Also what company she uses for shipping. I will wait another day before I sign into yahoo messenger.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Crazy situation if the sellers plays this game collects $$ money and never ships. There should be somewhere to report UK we have trading standards.

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Aren't their rules that prohibit the sale of animals between individuals on Facebook? If they don't have a registered business with website/storefront then you could likely report the seller to Facebook. Whether or not they would take any action is another matter...

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I
She was from Oklahoma when our scam started. :-(
I asked her how much for all 3 of the sulcata's in the picture. She said she would sell me the 3 for 300.00. Told her to give me a day or two. To figure out how to sign up for Apple Pay. Also said to her. That my wife would like a Burmese Star tortoise and if she sells them.
Now she says she is from Mississippi. My next question will be if I can come pick up the tortoises.

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
Aren't their rules that prohibit the sale of animals between individuals on Facebook? If they don't have a registered business with website/storefront then you could likely report the seller to Facebook. Whether or not they would take any action is another matter...
I reported her profile but of course FB didn’t see anything wrong with it 🙄 They never do. I’ve left all those groups on FB, so many varying opinions and I’m much more confident in the members here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The way to really throw them into a panic is to tell them either you will drive to pick them up or that you have family or friends near them and that they will be paying and picking them up.
Back in the day when I first joined, I would play with the scammers all the time, it's fun lol. Once I said I or someone I know will be there to buy and pick them up, well, a few great b.s. excuses or crickets.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I reported her profile but of course FB didn’t see anything wrong with it 🙄 They never do. I’ve left all those groups on FB, so many varying opinions and I’m much more confident in the members here.
I will report her also after I get done playing with her. Maybe enough complaints will help getting her shut down.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The way to really throw them into a panic is to tell them either you will drive to pick them up or that you have family or friends near them and that they will be paying and picking them up.
Back in the day when I first joined, I would play with the scammers all the time, it's fun lol. Once I said I or someone I know will be there to buy and pick them up, well, a few great b.s. excuses or crickets.
Exactly, that is what I am leading up to. I am going to ask for her phone number. To see if it is the same one Tortmama posted here.

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
I

I asked her how much for all 3 of the sulcata's in the picture. She said she would sell me the 3 for 300.00. Told her to give me a day or two. To figure out how to sign up for Apple Pay. Also said to her. That my wife would like a Burmese Star tortoise and if she sells them.
Now she says she is from Mississippi. My next question will be if I can come pick up the tortoises.
Ask if she has any Galapagos available 🤣 and tell her you want two adults.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Yes but somehow scammers can post outright the sales of animals and never get banned. I and many others in a Dachshund group reported daily several posts about this group. It was never actioned not one post removed for selling animals. I ran a FB group for local dachshunds to talk and share what ours dogs were up too. My page was issued warning for multiple things. Even using the words Build A Bear landed warnings. But if your a scammer you get to go wild. I ended up shutting down my group.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you!
I am leading her on at the moment. I am having problems with blood clots at the moment. I will be having a filter put in my leg tomorrow. Posing as my wife, I told her about the problem and said I would be in the hospital for observation. That part is not true. It will be outpatient. I also mentioned I was a double amputee, wish is true. Trying to see if I can cut the price down. I have her at 100.00 if I buy all 3. I will try to get the price down on the Burmese Star, I asked if she had one. Of course she said she does. 🤣

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Do you need a plumber Ray? I'm flying down on the 11th but can bump it up if necessary. I can bring or locally rent a jet pump.....I'll hook you up brother! LOL Sorry to hear all of that of course.....hope it goes quick and it's effective!

Fun watching you "work her" though..........you're good at it<VEG>!

cork_screw

10 Year Member!
Love it! Ask if you can meet her for pick up 😂
Ask if she has any Galapagos available 🤣 and tell her you want two adults.
Try to pay with credit card beyond apple pay. That way you can dispute it through your cc company and they can hear your case. Also, try to deal with people on this forum. People here are a close community so everyone knows each other and bad reputations are always accessible here too. Plus there's so many sulcata breeders.

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
Try to pay with credit card beyond apple pay. That way you can dispute it through your cc company and they can hear your case. Also, try to deal with people on this forum. People here are a close community so everyone knows each other and bad reputations are always accessible here too. Plus there's so many sulcata breeders.
I connected with someone here :)