Dont get scammed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Hey yall! I'm sure everyone knows someone who has been scammed or has been scammed themselves. I just wanted to post this for future reference to try to prevent this.
First of all, try to buy your tort from a breeder on this site. They're more trustworthy and you can feel more confident to get a healthy one. If you cant do this, or maybe just want to be extra safe anyways... ask them to send you a series of picture of the tortoise(or any other object) with something specific.
For example: I used to raise Sugar Gliders. I once wanted to purchase one from someone I found online. I talked to the lady for a couple weeks while we were waiting for the glider to come out of pouch(they're marsupials). Finally it was so she asked to send her the money. Before I did this I asked her to send me a few pictures. When I asked this, I never got a reply.. I'm guessing it was a scam.
A few examples of pictures:
A picture of the tort with a quarter on top of him.
Pic of the tort with peice of string lightly tied around shell.
You get the picture.. basically ask for a specific picture that would be difficult to photoshop and that they could not find online.

Yes, if this scammer actually does have a tort, he or she could possible send you the picture of THEIR tort, but not actually mail the tort to you.
My reason for posting this is because someone on this sight just got scammed. In the ad that they bought from it stated that they had Elegance Tortoises, Radiated Tortoises, Leopard Tortoise, Star Tortoises, Aldabra tots, Red Foot Tortoise, Egyptian Tortoises, Leopard Tortoise, Galapagos Tortoises, African Spurred, Sulcatta Tortoises. I doubt that they actually had a tort of each of these species, therefore they would not have been able to get the picture.

Don't be hesitant to ask for the pics or feel like your a pain in the butt. If they are a GOOD breeder they will be caring and understanding and will gladly help you.
I know this isnt a foolproof way around scamming, but it could help. Good luck to you all and happy late Valentines Day! :)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Just because people are on this forum doesnt mean that you are going to get a good tort. I recently had a situation where I paid alot of money for some torts and the high color female that I bought Never took one bite of food and was dead within 2 weeks and the other was sicker than SH#%. I paid over 1150.00 for all 3 and 1 survived. I have over 30 years experience with torts and its not because of my setup. I never chose to disclose the name of this person, just because I dont want future problems. If this would have happend when I was younger it would have been a different story. Live and learn

Status
Not open for further replies.