Russian torts please help

Melis

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I hav started process of making outdoor pen larger and to divide it. Its close to house so i dont feel they will be threatened by predators but bcuz im their ‘mom’ i still worry. My husband will put up chkn wire for top so i dont have to be out with them all the time, so means they can be out much longer. CJ still slow, not eating much unless hand fed...n in his hut alot..going to hav his beak trimmed by vet next week..thnx again!!
The beak trim may help him eat on his own as well

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Took my tort to have his beak trimmed, he seems happier and ate on his own, so must have been part of the problem, guess it will be something i will need to continue doing to keep it at a healthy length...
If you put his food on a rough stone (maybe stepping stone) it should stay trimmed.

Tortface

Milwaukee
If you put his food on a rough stone (maybe stepping stone) it should stay trimmed.
Took my tort to have his beak trimmed, he seems happier and ate on his own, so must have been part of the problem, guess it will be something i will need to continue doing to keep it at a healthy length...
I do have a rough slate stone for their food, also cuttlebone..my other tort Fins beak is fine...just seems like CJ’s grows fast...learning all the time tho!! Thnx for everones input!

Tortface

Milwaukee
I do have a rough slate stone for their food, also cuttlebone..my other tort Fins beak is fine...just seems like CJ’s grows fast...learning all the time tho!! Thnx for everones input!
What do you use fir substrate? Everything seems so dusty...try to moisten the coco coir down, going to try mixing it w soil...but just wonder what others use for their RT?

Tortface

Milwaukee
Yes very true. Also currently I care for three, three toed box turtles. But in 2003 I cared for a Russian tortoise. Then again in 2008 I was given another Russian. In 2003 I found a California Desert Toroise on a perpendicular street. All these tortoises went to different homes. So although I currently have only boxies I have experience with other species. Never underestimate the value of this forum. It is excellent. I have learned sooo much about proper husbandry from this forum. I wish I had been able to apply it all those years ago.

Tortface

Milwaukee
My RT has not pooed seems like weeks...i read they can get impacted, but not sure how to treat that...any clue??

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
My RT has not pooed seems like weeks...i read they can get impacted, but not sure how to treat that...any clue??

Tell us about your tortoise's diet, substrate material, and lighting situation (including temperature/humidity levels) and be as specific as possible.

Tortface

Milwaukee
Diet is organic spring greens, some romaine...once in awhile a little fruit(apple, cantaloupe) and carrots. The fruit, carrots maybe once a month. I hav 2 RT’s..housed separately as they fight...the other is active, eats good etc. also dandelion here n there when available. Outside every other day n a soak in warm water every other day. Substrate is coco coir..heat lamp for basking about 85 degrees with hut for a cool spot. Humidity i can only tell u I spritz w water daily... CJ the one not pooing has pinworms which i am treating w meds from vet...i have had them about 2yrs

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Here are some links on Russian tortoise care.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

1. Their diet is quiet frankly not good. Russian tortoise diets should consist of:
Daily/Mainly - Broadleaf weeds, flowers
Every so often/Some - store bought greens, succulents
Rarely - fruit

2. Your basking temperature is too low. Raise it to 95-100F. This temperature is crucial for digestion.
3. Make sure you clean out and replace the substrate for the tortoise with pinworms. Stay on top of "spot cleanings" for your enclosures.
4. Feed some succulents to the tortoise with bowel movement issues to see if that may help.

Tortface

Milwaukee
I am spot cleaning, however there is literally nothing to clean, i check very thoroughly daily..when he is soaked there is some milky white pink but NO poo. I would think he would lay under the lamp especially if he was too cool. I will try for warmer tho for sure n see if that helps. Will try offering succulents, will research bcuz im not exactly sure what those include. I’ve been dealing with this for awhile so dont know if i failed to mention he is not eating much and trying to get the oral meds in him is almost impossible. ANY ideas are very much appreciated and thank you for ur response

Tortface

Milwaukee
Also, he is on the second round of meds and clean entire enclosure when he is through with the 3 day medication..all substrate etc

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I am spot cleaning, however there is literally nothing to clean, i check very thoroughly daily..when he is soaked there is some milky white pink but NO poo. I would think he would lay under the lamp especially if he was too cool. I will try for warmer tho for sure n see if that helps. Will try offering succulents, will research bcuz im not exactly sure what those include. I’ve been dealing with this for awhile so dont know if i failed to mention he is not eating much and trying to get the oral meds in him is almost impossible. ANY ideas are very much appreciated and thank you for ur response

Pink urate is often seen in tortoises fed with dandelions. My guess is that your tortoise may be eating it's own fecal matter.

Tortface

Milwaukee
I don’t think so...n why wud he? I am chking him all the time..not that its not possible but why?? He will eat after a soak if i hand feed him, but now think hes steered away bcuz i try n get the meds in w the syringe when he eats bcuz he wont touch it if i put it on his food..i am just worried about him, hes such a sweet lil guy (i think guy not girl)

Clunk

Thanks! Makes sense, but i do not have a covered area for them, and do have predators around..fox, hawks..so i literally sit out w them for their safety. Also bcuz they fight i take them out at separate times. Here is their outside pen

Well that is a nice pen with thick gratings. I have something similar for my russian whom I've had about 9 years. Like you, I inherited him from someone who couldn't care for him anymore and thus it was a learning curve compared to other pets I've had (dogs, cats, fish). He initially was very picky with his food but gradually accustomed to his diet of mixed romaine, green leaf lettuce and dandelion leaves. He's crazy about dandelion flowers. He has thrived on this diet along with regular soaks and exercise he get when I let him out of his room (that's right, I gave him his own room because tubs/tanks were too small).

I take him outside every day I can weather permitting - he loves exploring the yard and we both get plenty of exercise, him running towards the end of the yard and me catching him and bringing him back over and over. This is a game we both play but at least I know he's healthy

I cannot stress enough the importance of active supervision of your russian torts when they are outside. Not simply because of predators but because they are Houdinis (escape/disappear artists). They are strong and can push things aside several times their weight as well as being expert diggers. They must also be part monkey because they are surprisingly good climbers - he climbed over pen I had constructed similar to your a few years back and disappeared for 4 hours - I thought I lost him for good but he was found buried under my toolshed. This is when I learned to never turn my back on him.

I hope your russians get better soon. They have great personalities but are VERY rambunctious!