Please help! Russian not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
My 3yo Russian male tort has stopped eating. He hasn't eaten anything in 2weeks now and I'm so worried he is going to die :(
I posted about this previously in the health section but am posting again as still no improvement and need advice off you guys.
He was sleeping in his burrow a lot and not coming out, but this past week he has been active, basking and roaming his enclosure as normal but I cannot tempt him with anything.

Info you may need:
Temps-
Basking spot: 95
Warm spot: 85
Normal: 78
Cool: 68
Dropping to: 60 (at night)

He has an MVB bulb comes on in the morning and I switch it off when he takes himself off to bed and burrows down in his hide. (late afternoon)
I have had him a year and sometimes he can be picky eater but never stopped eating like this.
I have tried, dandelion flowers and leaves, plantain, rocket, lettuce, clover, red and white clover flowers, a reddy green type of lettuce can't remember name of, and his cucumber flavour Komodo tortoise pellets (which are his fav, he would never usually refuse).

I just don't know what to do :(

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
RE: Please help!

Sorry to hear about Tinkerbell :( The only thing I see is maybe you're a tad too warm. Although, your cool side is cool. I've been keeping my warm side upper 70's, cool side lower 70's.

Have you had him/her checked for parasites?

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I'm sure others will chime in :)

icenine

5 Year Member
Has he ever hibernated before or is there any reason to believe he might? As I understand it these guys will stop eating for a few weeks straight so food won't rot in their tummies when they hibernate. Given that it's almost October, for a lot of places it's getting to be fall/winter weather which might coax the tort into hibernation.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
He's not hibernated before that I know of, he didn't last year and the year before that he would have been only 1yo so I don't think so. Do you think I should just leave him be and let him do his own thing? I'm so unsure if I'm doing the right thing or not, as at the mo am trying to tempt him with lots of diff food, getting him to bask and daily warm soaks to keep him hydrated at least. Thanks for your replies xx

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well that depends.. is this normal or is something wrong? does he feel solid when you pick him up? If so, and you can stand not seeing him till march, then let him hibernate. But if you think something is wrong, then warm him up and set the lights to at least 12-14 hours a day and watch him.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Continue to soak him 1-2x per week.

He actually still sounds healthy; assuming clear eyes, nose and peeing/pooping recently? (less so as he eats less, of course).
If you want to be really thorough, you can have him vet checked for parasites and treat if there is a heavy load (reptile vets are best).
He may just be going through a phase and pick up eating again soon.

Around this time of year, torts in outdoor enclosures stop eating green stuff, and often eat dried leaves and sticks to clear out their system for a few weeks in October, then 'go down' sometime in November.
You can try to force him out of this by leaving the lamp on 12-14 hours per day, perhaps getting a new MVB or adding exta UV by installing a Reptisun or Arcadia UV (http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/) tube light along one side. The extra hours and UV can sometimes work.

Or, you can let him wind down and hibernate. There are some threads and sites that review hibernation. Or, there is one thread that talks about modifying this to sort of a partial wind down over winter.
They really don't need to eat year round as long as they are allowed to wind down and are monitored.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for your help!! I think I will continue to monitor him and hope his eating picks up. He isn't peeing/pooping but I'm guessing that's because he isn't eating... Iv been soaking daily to keep him hydrated. He has actually lost 8g since february. He is active, apart from not eating which is why I worry he is burning off to much energy :/

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can try to tempt him with color (red), like tiny bits of a strawberry or apple mixed into his weeds/greens (usually fruits are given rarely, if at all, but in these circumstances).
Or if he has a favorite flower (like hibiscus), chop and mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.